Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Coding error no Myelopathy

mommatialuvmmommatialuv Posts: 269
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Whew I do not have myelopathy. :) Doc confirmed what Jeff said, myelopathy is compression of the spinal cord which ends around L1. There must have been a coding error.

He did refer me to a neurologist for EMG and Nerve conduction testing as my nerve pain does not appear to follow a "typical path" No thigh numbness or tingling only calf and foot/toes. Anyone who can shed some light on these tests for me, it would be appreciated.(time involved, pain involved etc.)

I told him I have been having a great deal of very low back/butt pain as well as pain in the back of the thighs (almost to the knees), but this is an achey pain as opposed to numbness and tingling.I cannot sleep/lay on my back, and heating pad makes it much worse. Has anyone had this type of what seems like sacral pain 4 months post op. If i happen to roll on my back in my sleep, upon waking, I have to go back to 4-6 weeks post op of having to log roll and use bed posts or anything (including hubby) to roll myself and get up, pain is 10 of 10 relieved after about 20-30 steps.
He is hoping that is from de-conditioning and ordered PT.

He was "happy" to hear about the anemia as it helped to explain my fatigue and pure exhaustion at my last visit.
As always, thanks for the support,
God Bless and Keep You,

• Oh good. That explains why none of us had heard of myelopathy in the lumbar area.

These are standard tests usually performed by a neurologist or a physiatrist to determine whether there is damage to a particular nerve. Here's a link that will explain it to you much better than I can:

Regarding how long...it depends on how much of the lumbar area they do. The first time I had it done, the doctor did the whole lumbar area and I would guess it was at least 1 1/2 hours. The second time, with a different doctor, he was mainly checking to see how the S1 nerve was functioning, and it didn't take too long at all.

It is uncomfortable because you are being stuck with needles, but compared to other tests, it isn't that bad.

I've decided to have more surgery on 2 March. Fun.

Take good care,

P.S. The location of that pain going down the back of your thigh is a typical l5-S1 nerve root distribution. :(
  • Just kidding, kind of, I am a bit tired of being a pin cushion, but if it will lead to healing, I guess I can take it. :)
    I will check out the web-site, thanks Gwennie.

I am so sorry you have to have another surgery,
    I will be saying extra prayers for you from now until you are on the other side and healing.

Thank you so much for your knowledge, support and friendship,

God Bless and keep you,