Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

PLIF spinal fusion

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in New Member Introductions
HI everyone new here haveing the plif fusion 2nd week of feb and scared to death never had surgery in my life except a patial hys. this back surgery sounds serious, ive had problems with chronic pain in lower back and right leg since a cra wreck at age 23, im now 50 and indured all these years in terrible pain,and as i get older it is unbeaqrable, so im going to quit being chicken and have it done. anyone who has had this surgery please let me know of your experiences.

have a blessed day

• Welcome to Spine-Health. I'm glad you've found us. This site has such great information and doctor written and peer reviewed articles as well as videos, all dealing with all aspects of spine problems. In addition, the members of the forums are knowledgeable, friendly and supportive and I'm sure you'll find comfort here.

I haven't had a PLIF, but I've recently had a TLIF which isn't so very different from what you're scheduled for.

Before my ACDF surgery, I had never had surgery or even been in a hospital before so I understand how scary and nerve-wracking the whole process can be. I think it's great that you say you're going to stop being chicken, but sometimes that's easier said than done.

Spine surgery does sound serious and is considered major surgery. However, many time the anticipation is more difficult than the actual surgery and if you're confident in your surgeon and look forward to relieving the pain that you've lived with for so long, then I think that you're doing the right thing.

Please tell us more about yourself such as what pain you've suffered with, about your family and doctor and what treatments you've been through already.

Many of us can relate to the surgery you're scheduled for, but we can all relate to how alone one can feel with spinal problems because nobody really knows what it's like to be a spiney unless you are one. And every one of us here is a spiney, just like you.

Have a look around. You'll find a lot of great threads and info. But let me warn you that you'll probably find more bad stories than good here on the forums because the members that have had a successful surgery and have no other spine problems usually move on from here to live their life and no longer need the support offered here. But there are many, many success stories out there.

Take care and I look foward to reading more about you and your spine issues.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you stopped by. we are both about the same age!! :) time for you to be looking forward to the possibility of being pain free after your surgery!!! :D this is a big opportunity!! :? i hope it works out for the very best for you.. follow all the doctor's orders. check out the "Back and Neck surgery" forum for more info. good luck! :D Jenny :)
  • Was very nice talking with you in chat. I think you need to gather more information from your surgeon, especially what level(s) are being operated on. The more you know, the better off you will be. Also check out this information:

Best wishes,