Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie to this site but not to cronic pain

jrfrostyjjrfrosty Posts: 23
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone I am greatful I found this site. I have been suffering with low back pain for 10 yrs. Pretty much lurned to live with it. What brought me looking at differnt sites is that on 6/16/09 I was sitting at a stoplight and was rear-ended then I hit the truck in front of me. I went to er and just did xrays. By day 3 even wose pain with pains going down rt arm. Went to a different er in the place I actually live in. Did mri found ddd with new disk rupture on c3-4 and 5. Iwas already going to PM dr so he did an epidural injection and sent me to pt. After not to long I started to drop things and arms and fingers going numb and the wholebit. Sent me to NS which he is very conservitive sent back to pt and another injecton and told if not any better by dec come back. Well as time went on it just got worse. Havent been able to work since accdnt because work as sales rep on comp all day. Went back to ns on 1/5 and now he said need 3 level fusion of c 3 4 and 5. I am so scared about this. Hubby has been great through all of this and remjnded me I have been though bigger surgeries than this. When I was 23 I had brain surgry for cancer. I am now 41. I feel since this neck thing has happend that I wont be able to do the things I love the most. Riding atv shooting all the outdoorsy stuff. sorry if I am making this long.
Surgery on Feb 8th. :''( :O :S thanks for listening

surgeries 3 knee ortoscopes
meds percocet 10/325 oxy 40mg and soma
Julie Rafn

• Oh yeah my name is
    Julie R
    Julie Rafn
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    Sorry to hear you have now joined this group. I also am a neckie and when my herniations were first diagnosed I also was scared to death. It is the unknown. There are many great articles on Spine Health to educate yourself on the journey you are about to take. I have been fused at 4 levels and recovery is possible. Do as your surgeon says, take your recovery slow and before you know it everything will be over with. Once your fusion has taken place you can do almost anything that you did before your surgery.Fusion can take a few months to a year before it is complete so you will have to learn to have patience. That was the hardest part for me. Am I pain free, no but my issues were complicated that required 4 surgeries. I am still working and still do almost all things that I did before so what I am saying is there is life after cervical surgery. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions regarding surgery that I may be able to answer
  • I'm sorry you've been through so much. I wish you all the best for your surgery and recovery. Are you able to get a second opinion for surgery? There is a post for must haves pre-op that may help you with your recovery in the surgery section. I hope that the surgery helps you have less pain. Take care and keep us posted how you're doing. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Yes I have had 2nd opinion. This ns is it 1st one was a stuck up kind
    good surgeon but no bedside manner. Dealt with him about 20 yrs ago
    when my dr had a severe head injury. He wanted to do surgery right away.
    I can't stand him ( no pun intended) if I had my choice I would have my old
    ns. She was the most down to earth and awsome dr I have ever had. Unfortunatly
    she past away from brain cancer. Kind of irronic. So pm recomended
    this ns he did tell me if he was a hack and slash doc he would do it
    immediatly but like I said he is really conservative. So hopefully everything
    goes as planned. Does everyone get arm pain and numbness in fingers? Seems
    like that is the biggest problem. Also really bad upper back pain that
    making it hard to breath. Thanks again

Julie Rafn
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can.all the best for a successful surgery!! be sure and follow your doctor's orders!! :D charry was right to ask about that second opinion??? good luck and please keep us posted. you are going to have a great recovery!! :D be sure and check out the "Back and Neck surgery" forum for more input. Jenny :)