Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SSI disability and maybe a decision soon?

IvorymoonIIvorymoon Posts: 44
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Water Cooler
Well, I applied for SSI disability in June 2009. Was already denied once, and appealed. I hired a lawyer immediately so I'm praying this helps me and gets the process moving faster. I have been unable to work for over a year now, and since the 1980's I have lost every job I've had due to my health issues. Besides my lumbar back issues I also have severe IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). I talked to my SSI caseworker today, and he told me all they are waiting for now is their doctor's signature..... I am praying this results in good news for me. I'm a nervous wreck. Since my back has gotten worse, and my IBS has gotten worse, I have been barely getting by, and near to losing my apartment and being homeless due to being unable to work. I don't have any family left, I'm a single gal, so SSI is so important for me. I am 53 so I hope that helps my case. This is so nerve-wracking.....

• Your age will definitely play a role in your status. Imagine that, huh? It is not as difficult to be approved for benefits for those individuals over the age of 50.

I know this is easier said than done, but try to not obsess over the decision too much. Did your mother ever tell you "A watched pot never boils"? Stressing over the decision will only make things worse for your IBS (my 13 year old son has had this for the last 3 years).

At any rate, best of luck to you. I hope you hear something soon too!
  • Very good advice..... I have had days where I told myself I am not even going to think about the SSI determination, the stress can only just make things worse for me.

LOL..... yes, finally a time when it is good to be "older"!