Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

fmoffilmlandffmoffilmland Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone-- I am 52 years old and have NEVER had a back problem. I am what you would call a weekend warrior when it comes to weight lifting. I have been recreationally lifting weights since I was a teenager. I love it very much. I recently got into sandbag lifting as well and like that very much too I am a very active person . But just recently I became stupid and started doing an exercise that I NEVER liked and for some unknmown reason started to do it. It is called Deadlifts with pretty moderate weights. I did it for a few weeks but one night I did it with no stretching and in a confined area and BINGO-- I did something REAL bad to my lower left side of my back- the pain is localized in the lower left side above the pelvic bone-- NOT in the mid back or right side- just the left side above the glute. I am going to a chiropractor - and sports med guy- and he is doing ultrasound,TENS stim and massage and I am still in severe pain. So I went today to a orthopedist and all he did was make me stretch my legs and bend my toes and asked if I had pain in my legs-- NO I do not-- so he said it was MAYBE a disc problem- but probably sacroilitis?? he did not explain any further- but he gave me a cortisone shot to stop the back spasms. I am also taking Motrin 600 mg and flexeril 10 mg throughout the day. I have trouble bending to even ties my shoes-- what I would appreciate someone telling me to the best of their ability is - what can I do besides the plethora of exercises my MD 's have given me and with the help of the wonderful web-- But can someone tell me if this is CURABLE- and if so how long does it usually take??? I really would love to get well as fast as possible- this injury is the first of its kind for me- and it is at times unbearable-- But I refuse to take any other pain killers other than the ones I mentioned above. Please help!

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Sacroiliitis is an inflammation of one or both of the sacroiliac joints, which connect your lower spine and pelvis. With sacroiliitis, even the slightest movements of your spine can be extremely uncomfortable or even painful for you.

And yes, it can heal over time. It does take time as you basically have severe inflammation. So I'd only do exercises recommended by your doctor or physical therapist along with taking medications they prescribe. The cortisone injection is a steroid that they hope will help decrease the inflammation and irritation.

I hope this helps, the hard part it the prognosis might be "wait and see" and let your body heal.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Thanks for the response- the cortison shot has helped- BUT I still feel the tightness and the pain while doing certian stretching exercises.. I really hate this- I need it to go away fast so I can get back to some lifting again.