Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back Pain, Back Surgery

JoeG1969JJoeG1969 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in New Member Introductions
HI! My name is Joe Gallagher, I am 40 and I live in Florida. I am married and I have 3 children. In October of 2009 I had a minor laminactomy, L4/L5 herniation. I had been experiencing back and left leg pain. The surgery was not invasive and I was back to work in 11 days. Unfortunately it was completely uneffective. I went through the epidurals, tens units, and plenty of narcotics! I went back in for surgery on December 2, 2009, this time they fused my lower back. I am now 7 weeks post surgery and I have more pain in my right leg and lower back than pre-surgery. I am wondering if this is normal and how long before the pain subsides enough that I can come off of the narcotics?

• Welcome to Spine-Health. This is a great site to learn about all sorts of spine issues and the site includes articles and videos that are very helpful. The member of the forum are knowledgeable, friendly and supportive. Many of us have been in your shoes so hopefully you won't feel so alone while you meet others like yourself.

I had a TLIF L4/5 almost three weeks ago and really don't feel too bad. The original leg and hip pain appears to be gone but I still have lower back pain, but I'm assuming that's because of the invasive procedure and the healing process my lower back needs to go through.

I had some new pain in my right leg the first couple of weeks, but it left me two days ago, luckily before I called my doc for nerve pain meds. You're still early out from major surgery and everyone heals at different rates, but I'd call your surgeon and talk to him/her about the pain you're experiencing. I wouldn't be surprised if the back back is normal, but I'd want to talk to him/her about the leg pain and what might be going on there.

I assume you've have at least your first post-op visit with your surgeon? What happened at that appointment?

Take care, Joe, and keep us posted.
  • I haven't had surgery but wanted to welcome you. I hear it takes a long time for nerves to heal. Please call your Surgeon with the new pain you're having. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am glad you stopped by. :D i am sorry your surgeries have not been complete successes. that must be a major disappointment for you. please be sure and follow your doctor's orders. :? good luck and drop by anytime. :D Jenny :)