Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

• I hope all goes well for you and that the recovery is uncomplicated and that the pain is managed well. Take care and we'll see you soon.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I just got home from having almost the same surgery a couple of days ago. Do the bowel prep a little early. If it's not clear, you need to do it again. And you don't want to crap on your surgeon! (maybe that's what happened to me) And he roughed me up a little for it! XLIF L-2
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Hi Jason. I hope that your surgery goes well and that your recovery is fast and easy.

Good luck,
  • Will be thinking good thoughts for you on you surgical day! Lynette
  • jasoncamaro69jjasoncamaro69 Posts: 84
    edited 03/09/2013 - 8:59 AM
  • Good to hear that. Long surgery.

First few days will really be a bear. Chill out, take your drugs, drink water, eat what you can. Watch out for nausea. Have your wife help you get up. Don't try to do it by yourself. That was the worst part for me. That and being uncomfortable laying down in any position.

• Jason-now you are on the other side!Yes the first few days are a bear-you got to go home really soon!Be sure to keep up with the meds-don't go too long,or it is rough until they kick in--we are proud of you,proud for you,and here for you!Jeannie

• Does sound like you had a long surgery.
    People here have said that it is an idea to set your alarm so your pain meds don't run out in the night while you are asleep.
    Hope that you will be in less pain tomorrow.
    Each day that goes by, you are a day closer to being 'mended'.

Take care, and keep resting and healing.
    Have a smooth journey.
    edited 03/09/2013 - 8:58 AM
  • Jason, I am sorry to hear the pain medication isn't keeping pace with your pain. If possible have your wife call surgeons office and explain. They maybe be able to temporarily increase the dosage until it is under control. My Dr did that for me, for about 7 days, those were a little blurry :) Thank God.

Best Wishes,

• Hope you can get your pain under control very soon and that you will then have a smoother ride.

Take care,
    rest and heal
  • Yes that is very possible, and I have heard it more than once from the AxiaLIF procedure. It may be that it is just because the tissue is still inflamed and that it won't be a problem later on.
  • You most certainly can. I'm quite sure you will feel the Axial bolt for a long time. Get used to it. I feel it 3 months out. When I talked to Julie she said she still felt it. She has no pedicle screws. We do. I can feel muscle issues back there where they touch the screw heads or rods.

I see my surgeon this coming Monday for 3 month checkup and xrays. I am going to talk to him about this hardware issue. It hurts.
  • I'm glad to hear that everything went well with your surgery and that you are back home.

The first 2 weeks are the worst. I also was not able to sleep well because of the pain, and the meds made me feel very nauseaous and could not eat well either. But at the beginning of the 3rd week I began to feel better and I was able to stop the pain meds after the 3rd week.

As far as the screws, yeah, you can feel them, and I still do 10 weeks after surgery. The reason for that is because with Axialif the screws are the only thing holding your spine together and preventing the disc spaces from collapsing. Unlike other fusion methods, where a solid piece of bone is inserted into the disc spaces providing you with extra support, the morselized bone that you have into the dics spaces is not solid yet, and this puts extra stress to the screws and to the vertebras as well. As the morselized bone starts to harden, you will start feeling less pressure, pain, and discomfort.

Just as Z06, I also feel muscle pain back there where they touch the screw heads or rods. According to my doctor, this is totally normal and after fusion takes place, he is going to send me to physical therapy so that my back muscles become used to the hardware and start gaining more strength.

Well, I really hope you start feeling better pretty soon, and keep posting your progress.

• I'm on my 2nd fusion (L2-S1) and I just wanted to say that it does get better. However, If you feel you are in really bad pain don't be afraid to call your Dr. Hang in there, hopefully better days are coming, Lisa
  • good news,Jason! and it does get better--keep us up on your progress
  • I concur. The first week is bad...second a bit better, and by the end of the third week, you'll start to feel somewhat human again. For me, six weeks was a big difference....but then, we all heal at different speeds.

Think positively...and do your walking, whether you feel like it, or not.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I'm glad to her you've got past youre first week as that is the hardest. It will s-l-o-w-y- get better.
    Good luck,Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Glad the first week is past. Hardest for me as well. But my friend still made me get up and walk walk rest rest walk walk, kill kill!! That was a beast but it's the best way to get blood pumping. Stay on top on the meds too, makes the walking more pleasant #o

• Jason,

Congratulations on surviving the first week!
    As everyone here says, each week should show improvement now.
    Hope that things keep moving forward in your recovery and that each day will see you more comfortable.

Take care and keep healing.
    edited 03/09/2013 - 8:57 AM
  • Sounds like you are healing according to "schedule". I am glad things are getting better for you, and that you have a great support system (aka wife :) ) at home. That makes a huge difference. Remember dont be in a big hurry to help her, you will be able to make it up to her soon enough. Your job now is to heal so you can be stronger later.
    Take care and keep us posted,
    God bless You and your Wife,
  • Great news,Jason-I have been wondering about you-don't overdo it,and get lots of rest!
  • Its like you were at a party,but wasn't having any fun!!!I remember talking to something up in the air in my hospital room----when my husband was recovering from knee surgery he thought he saw Indians outside our window-I had to take a photo to proove no one was there--drugs are fun(not)-you sound so good,but remember we are here if you need to vent,or have an Official Mini-Meltdown!Jeannie
  • Jason, Congrats on the preservation of the artwork. It is beautiful. LMAO @ the "turtles" and "brownies". Keep up the good work :)