Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

what is this colon prep I keep hearing about~

mom2boys3mmom2boys3 Posts: 34
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
HI all, I have my pre-op apt on Friday and im curious if I will have to do a colon prep. Is this something that others have done, is it common place for surgery?

• No, it's not standard for back surgery. What are you having done?

Best wishes,

• Cora,

I had a 360 fusion on April 1st on L5-S1 and I didn't have to do it.. I had never heard of it until I was just reading over some post.. My only rules were nothing to eat or drink after midnight and my surgery started at 11:30am.. Maybe it is something that the dr decides.. The only thing I would say is make sure the meal you eat the night before isn't full of grease or to rich because the sooner after surgery you have to go to the bathroom the worse it is.. Just be prepared.. It is going to be very painful because of having to sit on a hard surface with your newly remodeled spine.. It's getting up and down that is going to hurt.. Hope you have a speedy recovery.. I'm 10 months out and very glad I had the surgery.. Now I'm having a thoracic fusion on the 17th and hoping to be as happy with it in 10 months.. Ha ha ha

• I think that the colon prep is for people who are having an AxiaLif surgery where they do an incision right near the bowel. I believe it is a precaution in case the bowel is accidentally cut, which would have a high risk of infection if there was anything in the bowel.

Can anyone confirm this?
  • I had anterior/posterior and I didnt have one,but honestly it is a good thing to do,because then you will be cleaned out before surgery.I did one on my own several days before surgery,then ate light and drank lots of liquids----my first surgery I ended up back in the hospital because I couldnt go----I think it is probably a dr. choice,but I promise you will feel better going in!
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Colon prep is commonly used with anterior approach,360 approach or lateral approach. The reason is that is in these approaches they are moving your internal organs around, including your intestines. It's easier on you and the surgeon if you have nothing in your system during the surgery.

I am not having a colon prep but I'm planning on eating very light the day before my posteriolateral fusion 2/3. The reason is I know my system will be sluggish due to anesthesia and my surgery is estimated to last 5-10 hours. So I want to make it easy on my system once it does get back in gear and working.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I can't stop laughing! That was great.....

• I love how a liter equals 32 gallons. That had me on the floor, well not literally, laughing. All fun aside best wishes Cora for the pre-op treatment and wish all the best for your surgery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I am living it as we speak :) The colon prep is standard for the AxiaLif as pointed out by jellyhall. They have to actually push part of the colon out of the way to access the tailbone.

• jason-texas prayers are with you!soon you will be through it!Jeannie
  • heehee Paul....hilarious! That's about how I felt when I had to do it prior to my two level fusion back in 2001. That's some harsh stuff. Talk about squeaky clean! I was oh so grateful when I learned I didn't have to do that for my most recent back surgery. and the thought of adding vodka to it is ewwwwww! haha
  • I can see that I will have to watch out for posts similar to that one in the early days after my fusion. I've had to do colon prep before and you do not want to be far from the great white throne!

• This really made me laugh!