Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Still in Pain after Surgery

N8_BeeNN8_Bee Posts: 20
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Lower Back Pain
I recently had surgery on my back on October 23, 2009. (discectomy, fusion of L4-L5, L5-S1, foraminotomy, and laminectomy). Exactly 3 months and a day later, I am still in severe pain as I feel like I have a knife stuck in my lower right back and an indescrible excruciating pain running down the right side of my lower back and into my right hip and upper thigh. This pain is intensified during the evening when I try to sleep so I'm not getting much at all (3-4 hours of interrupted sleep).

When I get up in the morning, the pain in my right lower back and hip nearly brings me to the floor so I have to make sure I get up very slowly and I hold on to the night table for leverage and support. Whenever I sit from a standing position, stand from a sitting position or lie down or sit up I am wracked with this debilitating pain. I need answers as I'm undergoing Physical Therapy and my PT has modified my regimen because of the extreme pain I'm still in.

I don't go see my doctor until the 4th of Feb., in the meantime, I'm taking 50mg of Demorol 4-6 times a day and it isn't helping me at all.

Any suggestions, would be great.

• Did you have this same pain prior to surgery or did it come on post-surgery? If it started post-surgery, was there any time after surgery that you started to feel better...and then had this pain come on?

It is very normal for pain to worsen at night. The pain receptors are located in the brain and at night, when there is less stimulating the brain, the signals are just that much stronger.

I'm sorry I don't have any good suggestions for you. Maybe you could ease up on PT to see if that helps> Does icing help? If it helps at all, you might want to increase the number of times you do it. Or if heat makes it feel better, use a heating pad several times each day.

What does your PT think is going on?

You could try to see if you can get in sooner to see your surgeon...although Feb 4th isn't all that far off. Have you had a medrol pack or steroid injections to try to calm down the pain. That might be something your surgeon will suggest.

Please let us know how you are doing. I'm sorry I'm not more help to you.
  • I know we have spoken previously about your continued pain after surgery. Have you tried to have your Dr office move your appt up to sometime this week? If it's anything like mine, it's not gonna happen but you can always try. Wishing you the best and hope your dr is able to determine what is still causing such debilitating pain.

Take Care,
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    you will feel discomfort and pain. That mostly would come after a long day and/or a night. 4 months is really not a long time after surgery. Did you have any relief from the pain after surgery? Is the pain the same as before surgery?

When you talk about pain in the butt,hip and leg, I think nerve related pain. But that would be something that I would have hoped that your doctor talked about before this.

While I said 3 months post surgery is not a long time, it is past the period where you should not require the amount of pain medication that you are now taking.

Did the Physical therapy make you feel worse, has it helped at all?

There could be so many different things going on, but to me if you are in the amount of pain you are in daily, I would discuss this with your doctor to see what action should be taken
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
This discussion has been closed.