Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recovery, Increased Activity, Depression post ACDF

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:41 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Anyone else out there with input on how your recovery went after the initial 3 weeks or so in getting back to prior activities or is it just the waiting game? I know it is the usual don't lift too much, don't do repetitive arm motions that tighten up the upper back and neck, walking is great if it isn't snowing out. Nonetheless, I have a history of depression and find myself getting in a slump without being as active. Help I feel like I made a huge mistake. Maybe physically things are improving but emotionally I'm sinking. I need support.

Thanks.
advertisement

Comments

• Hi there, I just want to post to let you know what I am in your shoes but I'm almost 3 months old. Have you tried adjusting your diet and eating more foods that make you feel happier? I've been trying to snack on healthy foods lately & taking my vitamins in hopes it will boost my spirits. There is not much you can do while you're still under restriction. Can you learn a new language, or instrument? Learn to knit? These are all things I've wanted to do. I tried an instrument but my meds make my brain kinda fuzzy so it's hard.
  • If you can't go out and walk check into a stationary bike. Now if you don't have the funds or room for one you can find one that just has the pedals and can place in front of any chair pedal away. This will also let you practice your posture in keeping your back straight. Also check in your local area you may find a mall walking program to join in. Here is a excellent link of things to do following surgery they may help take up sometime as well. http://www.spine-health.com/blog/surgery/56-things-do-while-recovering-surgery

As far as did you make a mistake by having surgery I think that depends on how bad your pain was pre-op and what you have post-op. Recovery is a long process your body needs time to heal from a major surgery. Take care hope this helps.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    Many in my family have underlying depression. And the ones that have had a surgery and been under gen. anesthesia. Have had that depression surface after being anesthetized.
    I've tried to find something to substantiate this. But have not been successful.
    My good friend stockbroker, aka Susan, who recently passed away. Had the same happen to her, only worse. She also tried to find out if this has been substantiated. And came up empty.
    But this has happened to, too many people to not have some truth in it.
    I go to a pain psychologist and take anti depressants. Do not let this go unchecked. Or let it fester!
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I know there are lots of restrictions but I am hoping to start with PT today. I spoke with my therapist and he says there are exercises he can show me that will keep my back muscles from tightening and hurting as they heal. I also figure I can spend some time on the eliptical while I am there. I'm not one for just taking a walk. I need a purpose to what I am doing.

Once I am back to work next week if I am still feeling down I may try to find a psychiatrist who deals with post surgery. If I can get off the neurontin and skelaxin I might try something like that.
  • I am 8 weeks post surgery, my 2nd in a year. This time from the back of the neck with rods & bone grafts C4-7 and I am still in the neck brace (another 4-10 weeks to go). I can only sit and walk, no lifting over 15lbs, no putting my arms above my shoulders, no bending, stairs, ladders, nothing really. It is really boring for someone use to being very active, I hate the most not being able to drive. I have been off work almost 5 months and have gained 15 pounds. I do get to go in our pools (it's heated) and walk around but no swimming and I get in the hot tub for 10 min's each night.
    I am waiting for my neck to fuse to see what my permanent pain will be, right now it worse than before this surgery, they said I may have to go one SSD but won't know until about March. I get tired of friends asking how my pain level is doing and when I do tell them they act like "that can't be, it has to be better after 8 weeks", this really ticks me off getting opinions when I don't ask for them.
    I keep praying to accept each day and give me the well to be positive and help another human being to keep out of my crazy head.

Don't ever give up.
advertisement