Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Jogging/Golf After ACDF

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi Guys,

I'm about two and a half months post ACDF C5/6. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar procedure that has tried to return to playing golf or jogging anywhere from three months after surgery and on. I know what my doctor has recommended to me, however, I see there are many different doctor opinions on when someone can be "without restriction" after surgery.
I was never in any pain after surgury and I do know what my limits are, I just was wondering what other people's experiences are. My doc seems to be a bit conservative. I was under a 5 lb restriction for the first three weeks, however, I was constantly lifting my 17 lb daughter (out of necessity). I am still under a 20 lb restriction now (almost three months post op) but I pick up my three year old all the time (38 lbs). My xrays are fine too.
So what have been y'alls experience?

• I've been golfing. I was able to play two 9-hole rounds in June, eight months after my 3-lvl ACDF. You know the scary part? Grounding the club. That was my biggest fear. That doesn't mean I didn't do it, but I tried a lot harder to hit the ball right.

Unfortinately, I'm just had a TLIF and won't be cleared for golf until 2011. But, that doesn't mean that when summer comes, I won't be chipping and putting with the rest of my golf friends. I might be like one of those 80-year-old women to only hit it 50 yards at a time, but straight down the middle. Wouldn't that be a hoot? LOL

So, yes, you'll be able to golf again. PapaRon told me that there are golf pros out there that specialize in teaching people with spine problems to golf properly to avoid hurting your spine further. You might want to check that out.

• I do believe it is still too early for me to go hacking away with a golf club, however, I think I might try and see if jogging hurts or not. I'm going crazy sitting around. I've tried the stationary bike but it doesn't do much for me.
  • I had my C5-C7 fused 8/31/09. I have not been able to return to normal activities yet and I continue to experience quite a bit of discomfort in my neck. Just found out on Friday that my neck is fused, but I cannot get my trapezius muscle tension worked out yet. So my experience is that I am a long way from even contemplating picking up clubs. I have much work ahead of me it seems.

• I haven't had my acdf yet. However my surgeon said about 6 weeks restricted (if all goes well) and then add activity as I feel ready. He did the same thing with my lumbar fusion. I was pushing myself as soon as I could and I plan on doing the same thing with the neck.

As it right now I can't do diddly squat so anything is better than nothing.

• Thanks for the reply. I'm glad you mentioned six weeks because I keep hearing that magic number. My surgeon must be conservative. I'll try pushing it a bit and see what happens..no to go past my limit.
  • Haha. Mine said the same thing for the PLIF but there was no way at 6 weeks. I work from home and my job is not physical, but my play is :O)

His POV is that we need to keep doing what we enjoy, that it is the best medicine. Keep your mind occupied and the pain won't seem so bad and I have to say I usually agree (depending on the level of discomfort). If you have a blinding headache you can't do a whole lot :(

Good luck,