Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 days post-op from 3 level acdf and corpectomy

truckin-101ttruckin-101 Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I don't feel like leapiing tall buildings in a single bound yet :) but I feel SO much better than I thought I would.
I am swallowing normally, eating normal foods and do not have that "ledge in the back of my throat" feeling. I still have pain in my upper arms and back and I know it will take time and probably some pt to work out those problems but the one thing that tells me that this was all worth it is that I can do the heel-toe walk without falling. That in and of itself tells me that my doc did some good. <:P

I hope this helps some of you out there. There are success stories!! To soon to tell if mine will be total success but even getting my balance back is HUGE to me.

Slipped and fell from truck Feb. 08

Fused c4,c5,c6,c7, corpectomy on c6 and removed bone spur on c5, peek cages,plates and screws.

• That's terrific news so far. Keep taking it easy so that you progress just a little at a time.

Success stories are so encouraging to all of us, but especially for those considering surgery.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Your (truckin-101), surgery sounds like the exact same thing I.m having done on 2/9./ Any tips? I'm a male 58 years old and have had several other surgeries so I know what to expect as far as the surgical issues and stay in hospital. Did you wear a hard collar afterwards as I am told I would wear one for 6-7 weeks. My insurance company has sent in for a 3 month leave from work. Will I really be off work that long? How long until you can drive a car? As I need to for work. Any info at all will be most helpful prior to the surgery.
  • I am in a miami j collar, probably the same thing you will have and yes it will be 6-7 weeks b4 i get weaned off of it. as far as being off work I am just taking it one day at a time, this is a work comp injury so you proceed at work comp speed, hence the nearly 2 year wait for surgery. 3 months souynds about right if you have a rather sedentary job, office work or such. if you work construction or drive trucks like i do (did?) it will be longer to be released to full duty and no restrictions. main thing to remember is to not push it, even at the 3 month mark your neck will just be starting to fuse. as for driving a car , i believe the collar has to come off first. each person is different and a lot depends on how well you respond after surgery. i feel a lot better than i thought i would and then just moving my head or flexing my shoulders will put me on the ground. good luck with your surgery, will look for you in this forum
  • I am so glad things are turning out well for you! Just rest and relax, and let your body heal. Glad to hear it is working out!!!! :-)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.