Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello, I'm new here!

ell_ukeell_uk Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi my name is Ellen, Im 35 and from the UK.
I have been reading this site for a few days now after a friend found it for me, its made really interesting reading, so I thought I would join in!

I had a disectomy on a prolapsed disc (L5) about five years ago. I had two others that had prolapsed but they said at the time they were not 'serious' enough for surgery.

Anyway straight after the operation it was fantastic!
I thought my problems were over....but they werent.
I still have major 'flare ups' and had to give up my job as a care assistant a few months after my operation.

In september last year I started at Uni on a nursing course, as I was then fighting fit. Unfortunately it didnt last and now two weeks into my placement I have had another setback and am on the sick. I was in major pain, I had been taking Codeine Phosphate for the pain, that was changed last week to Tramadol (which did nothing). So yesterday I was prescribed Fentanyl patches (25mcg/hr) and tonight I feel really good! They seem to be working :0)

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to give you a bit of my 'history'.
I am lucky in that my partner is also a physiotherapist, so she helps me a lot.

Thats all I can think of to say at the moment!

I look forward to 'meeting' all of you and having a chat.

Ellen xxx

• Nice to have you here. Come into chat sometime and visit us there as well. What is being done for your back pain now?

Best wishes,

• Hi Marianne, Thank you for the welcome.

I am now on the Fentanyl Patches and on Ibuprofen (apparently thats the only other painkiller I can take while on the patches) and I know its only been one day, but its one day of hardly any pain.

I am really hoping these continue to work and that I dont need another MRI scan, I've had two already and am really claustrophobic so find them really scary!

Ellen x
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. it is so nice to meet you. =D> i have several friends from your part of the world, wales and northern ireland!! please have a look around and feel free to drop in anytime.. :D i do wish you were feeling better, but i am glad to hear you think the patches may be helping you!! we have several members who use and like the patch.. good luck with that. i look forward to seeing you around the forum! :D Jenny :)
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Hi Ellen

I am glad you found this site, you will find plenty of support and information here.

We hope you come and join us in chat, you will be very welcome,

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Thanks all for the lovely welcome.

I've not had a good day today with the pain, it's starting to really get me down. I have Bipolar also, and I really don't want to get depressed again :0(

I really think its time for another MRI (even though I am so scared at the thought of one).

Anyway I am off to bed, dreading getting up in the morning because that is when the pain is at its worst!

I am trying to remain positive through all this, but sometimes its really hard.

Goodnight my new found friends. x x x
  • Hi Ellen,

WELCOME to SPINE HEALTH !! :) I am on the 25mcg Fentanyl patch too, and I am glad to hear that it is working well for you. I am on it for my neck and radiating pain, but it works. I hope you find the site to be informative and supportive like I have. You should check out the chat like Liz suggested! I hope that you continue to feel better!

• Hi Jean, Thanks for the welcome.

Do you take any other painkillers on top of the patch?

I was told not to, but had to give in today and take a few Codeine and Tramadol. Its really helped.

I'm going to see my Dr next week to ask him if I can at least take some Codeine for the break through pain, as the patch alone is not stopping the pain altogether.