Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Yoga and SCS?

cherish22ccherish22 Posts: 706
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Howdy! I am doing great and am curious about yoga. I've had a close friend invite me to Bikram Yoga (where it is 105 degrees for 90 minutes!), but since I've had these back issues and even with the SCS, I rarely bend, lift or twist, on advice from all doctors. I've searched the web and cannot find any info. I NEVER bend over to touch my toes, for example. I use grippers all around the house to do housework, laundry, pick things up I drop, etc.

Would you think yoga would be advised? I know getting back to life is great, but some of those positions make me wonder. I would definitely baby step it, but in my history, any time I did something I should not have done, it did not hurt at the time. It would hurt the next day......but by then, it was too late.

Another question to ask my doc, but just curious if anyone else does this? My rep had told me chances are slim that my SCS will move now that is fully scarred down, but it could split or crack, and we don't want that. (I haven't specifically asked her about yoga, she had just told me that in general).

(My full story is updated under my profile.)

• I can tell you first hand, that Yoga and SCS don't mix well. I ripped my anchors loose that were holding my leads in place. Fortunately my leads had scared in real well and didn't budge, but I was pretty miserable until it was all repaired. The Yoga succeeded in ripping my anchors and taking my strain relief loops and bunching the wires up mid torso. So I basically had a rats nest of wire that blew out the side of the tunnel and got stuck.

It's a bummer because I love Yoga and need to do as much as I can in terms of stretching and strengthening to keep my lower back strong. My Doc and rep said to stop doing poses that bend forward too far.

I am still very flexible and I have no problem bending down to grab things out of the dryer or cabinets or to garden. I can feel when I push it a bit too far and I back off.

The other thing about Yoga. Depending upon the placement of your IPG, you can also trap it in a bad position under your body that will cause the tissue surrounding it to erode. Over the course of time this can cause the IPG to come shallow and it will have to be repositioned.

Hope this helps.

• Here's an image with the 26 poses -

Some of them seem fairly benign, but most of them look like things I'd avoid for sure.

And a lot of them fall in to the "dream on" category, for reasons that having nothing to do with the SCS. :lol:" alt=":lol:" height="20" />
  • All righty then! Yikes! I always wondered what happened that you had to have everything redone, but never remembered to specifically ask. lol

Yep, that's exactly what I would want to avoid. After being careful this long, why risk it, right?

Thanks for sharing - that's always preferred over articles.

BW, my friend said they do the poses in the exact order, every time, and she has never felt better since going to this type of yoga. My gut, however, said to stay away. Glad I can still listen to it with success!

• I found a page on the main Bikram Yoga website where I cuold click on each pose and see a large view of it. Some of them - yikes!!!!!

I see that I would have a few problems, not just the SCS. Since I can only feel about 1/3 or less of my feet, I would fall right over with many of those poses. Standing on one foot? Can't do that now unless I am holding on to a wall or chair, and it isn't because I'm not in shape or don't have core strength. My feet just don't report back to my brain "where they are". Proprioception sucks for me with these numb feet. lol

OK, I'm fully at peace with not doing this. lol

• This topic is really interesting to me because I am feeling great and have been interested in exercise to increase my weight loss. It is a good reminder that even when we feel good we still have restrictions. My Dr. wanted me to keep my exercise to walking or water aerobics.

I started a water aerobics class that is for people with arthritis and fibromialgia and I love it! It is in a warm therapy pool so the water feels great and it is nice to have some variety from walking.
  • Actually the balance is a lot of what I still do. Since I have vestibular issues, I use the balance poses to help retrain my brain. It isn't pretty at times, but it's slowly and most certainly making a difference. I even use a 2kg exercise ball to help with balance exercises. It isn't a lot of weight, but forces all the accessory muscles and tendons to work and I can also use it as a small counter weight. So when I am watching TV, a lot of times I am standing in the middle of the room looking like a goofball trying to balance myself. On my "off days", I will sand behind my recliner so I have something to balance off of.