Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Which has the best rate of success on SSD Appeal

PreachermanPPreacherman Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Health Insurance Issues
(A) File the appeal myself
(B) File the appeal with the assistance of a Disability Advocate
(C) Hire a lawyer

Also, would a letter from my former employer help?

Thanks, Tim

• I'm rather new to filing myself, but I hired a lawyer right away. I did get denied, and we are appealing. But I'm told people have more success with a lawyer. Attorneys will take a percentage if you win.
  • according to her assistant, nearly all cases go to a hearing. Makes you wonder-- why don't they just go ahead and do away with the appeal and make the hearing the 2nd step?
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I'd hire a lawyer or disability advocate.

Any correspondence from the employer won't carry much weight as the person writing it is not a professional and it would not address your ability to do "any job" (which is what SS needs to prove for you to be approved).

SS usually considers objective medical and vocational information, but the vocational information has to come from a certified vocational counselor or provider. But, consult with an attorney or advocate and if they feel employer data may help they may be able to counsel you on exactly what to get. Info that says "he couldn't do the job" won't be of any value, only info that says "we accomodated his need for "x" and "y" and found that due to his medical condition he was no longer to work even with these accommodations".

2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • If you are talking about an appeal,i would get a lawyer...
  • Preacherman said:
    (A) File the appeal myself
    (B) File the appeal with the assistance of a Disability Advocate
    (C) Hire a lawyer

Also, would a letter from my former employer help?

Thanks, Tim
    Howdy Tim,

If you have a slam dunk - go on your own. Ooops, forget that, there is no such thing! If financially you can afford a SSDI lawyer, that might be the best - but they do get a cut of your reward. The good things...they know how SS wants things worded, and too many know "who" and "how" to talk and correspond with these folks.

A letter from your former employer helps (a little), as it shows that a "layman" stipulates you can not perform your job due to physical limitations. The medical documentation, reports (MRI's, CT's etc.) and statements from your primary care (diagnostician, surgeon etc.) is better for baring weight on your case as they are the experts.

Many times you are denied on the first and second attempt, but you have to remember, a "non medical" person is reading your packet and making a decision. The reason for the appeals court is many times the frivolous cases are weeded out - not all of course, but many... Hope that helps. Take care.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.