Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

chronic pain in leg and lower back!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
Hi all i am new to this site. I'm just after some advice really. I have been suffering with lower left back pain for over a year now, i get back pain every day but just manage and get on with it but every few months it will get me so bad where i can not walk and the pain goes through my left leg to. This is a tingling, irritating pins and needles pain and the back pain is severe as can the leg pain be. Each time i go the docs i'm put on different medication and pyhsio then as it relieves i carry on. This time i have been down and the doctor was very helpful and has referred me for an mri scan and said it could be sciatica. I have been prescribed diclofenac, amitriptyline and lansoprazole in the mean time. I'm 27 years old 9stone so not over weight and try to lead an active life when i can!!! I almost feel like i am trapped in another persons body some days with the pain, feel i should be 87 not 27 no offence. Also the pain in my leg when i stand up feels like someone is pushing down so hard on the top off my leg that its going to rip off lol if that makes sense. The doctor mentioned surgery as this has been going on some time, so i'm just after some info and if anyone has had the surgery or advice they can give me with there symptoms. Many thanks
advertisement

Comments

• The first step here is having the MRI so you can get a diagnosis. Can't really comment on surgery as you don't know what is going on yet and your doctor hasn't recommended a particular procedure. When you have more information, let us know and I'm sure someone can comment and give you advice. From the symptoms you mention, it seems you may have something going on in your lumbar spine.

Best wishes,

Marianne
  • What you describe sounds very much like sciatic pain. Many on this board can relate to it! It usually stems from a spinal nerve that is being compressed. Sometimes this is caused when a disc has a bulge or herniation. It can also be caused by stenosis, which is a narrowing of the central canal or the foraminal openings through which the spinal nerves pass.

I'm glad you are getting a MRI. That is the first step on the road to getting an accurate diagnosis and appropriate treatment.

Here is a link to some information on this site that will help you understand what may be going on:

http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/sciatica/what-you-need-know-about-sciatica

http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/sciatica/sciatica-and-sciatic-nerve

It is always a good idea to learn as much as you can about your particular issues so you can talk with your doctor and be an active participant in decision pertaining to treatment.
  • Hi Dink, You definitely need an MRI scan like the others have said.

I am 35 and had my operation when I was 30. I had a prolapsed disc at L5-S? (cant remember!)

I had exactly the same pain as you are describing.

I've never felt pain like it in my life.

I am having quite a bad 'flare up' at the moment and at my next appt. am going to ask for another MRI to see what is going on.

I cannot live with this pain.

I hope you can get something sorted out and be pain free soon or at least have it under control.

Love Ellen x
  • Your too young for all that, but it happens. I have that kind of pain from spinal stenosis and arthritis pushing on nerves. It just sucks. Only thing that helps is pain meds. Doctors are so worried about giving them out in some states, hopefully yours isn't one of them.
  • I completely understand how you feel. I am now 27 (going on 80) but when I was 20 I started out with the same pain as you- no accident or anything just woke up one day in pain- left side leg.

I am glad you are getting an MRI but don't count on it showing exactly what is wrong. After 4 years of pain meds and muscle relaxers (which actually didn't help with nerve pain) I met an Orthepedic surgeon and had a Discogram done- Bad disc, NOT a fun test. I had Lumbar fusion (TLIF) done in 2007 L5-S1. I was pain free for about 6 months and then back to sciatica- although it is a little different now, which I receive SI joint injections for (and they are WONDERFUL- pain free after them for a little bit).

I do live an active lifestyle- run, swim, play soccer, in the process of training for a triathalon. I just tend to ignore (sad to say but gotten use to after 7 years) the pain on most days and on my bad days I take it very easy and try not to do anything.

Stay on top of your health because no one is going to care more about it than you.
  • I hope you keep us posted how you're doing when you get your MRI done. I have sciatica pain from my back also. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
advertisement