Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

misterdog1mmisterdog1 Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am new to this forum and I am excited to be here. I have a herniated disc between my L4 & L5. The pain has been so bad. 8 weeks of pain and now I am having surgery. I exhausted all other avenues so surgery was agreed upon. I am so SCARED.I have never had surgery before,but my surgeon and I talked for 1 hour and he put my mind at rest alittle.So who has had a disectomy and what can I look forward to. The pain in my leg is always a strong 8 or 9 and I hope this surgery will take care of that. Any stories or suggestions would be appreciated!!

• You are in the right place. You will find info and support here.

You might want to provide a little more info about yourself. Like how this happened, what type of test and treatments have you had, do you have a neuro surgeon or a ortho spine surgeon and what they are planning to do. In that area you would probably have a fusion or some other stabilization.

Remember don't be afraid to ask questions. We are all here for each other.
  • I have had two microdiscectomy surgeries for a herniated disc. I felt immediate relief from the severe leg pain upon waking up after surgery. My most recent surgery was last December. I still have some sciatica due to an irritated nerve root, but it is under control with Neurontin, and it is nothing like the pain I had before surgery. The surgery has been really successful for me. I hope it is as successful for you. Take care!
  • You certainly came to the right place for support and for those that understand what you are feeling.

What have you tried so far?

Surgery is scary for sure. I am headed for my 2nd on 2/8 and it's a microdiscectomy on L5-S1 for herniated disc compresing my sciatic nerve. I have extreme numbness and weakness in my left leg.

I am not exactly sure which surgery your having b/c there seems to be so many names for similar procedures. The microdiscectomies have a high success rate as long as you are careful post op.

The hardest thing is really taking it easy for the first 6 weeks to 3 months despite how good you may feel. In regards to your back, you do not want to bend, twist, lift afterward. You want to walk lots afterward. Not distances but 10 mins every hour and then increase. You'll feel better quickly but don't let that fool you into thinking you can bend over to get the laundry out of the dryer.

Let us know what your worries are.
    When's the surgery? We have a february surgery 'support thread'.
  • Hello.
    I had 2 micro-d's. L4-L5 and L5-S1.
    It was scary for me too as I had never had anything like that done.

When I woke up from the 1st surgery, I was pain-free and knew immediately it was a success.

It's possible you will experience some emotions in the post-op period.

Look into aquatic physical therapy. The theory is the water will float most of your upper body weight off the lumbar spine and will allow ease of lower body movement.

If you can help it, try not to bend, lift, twist, shove, drag, nudge, push, pull, strain, cough, sneeze, retch, or gag. The first 6 weeks after surgery is when it is most vulnerable. Longer if you can swing it.

Maybe beforehand go take a tour of where the procedure will take place, tour the operating room, the post-op room.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Oftentimes the microdiscectomy can relieve the pain so well that you feel as though you can go back to doing all your previous activities right away. Listen to your surgeon. Take some time to rest and heal. Walking will probably be good for you, but don't bend, lift or twist for a while and make sure you don't re-injure yourself. My micro-d only lasted six months, but I had three severely damaged discs, so it was probably doomed to fail from the beginning. All the best to you and I hope you get great relief from your surgery!

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Linda & Paul . . .your advice on recovery is spot on.

I wish I came here before my 1st one.
    Darn, I felt so good by week 2 that I thought if I pushed a little more each day it would help. If it didn't hurt, I did bend a little to get laundry out of dryer (mistake) or bent over slightly to pet my dog. I also drove by end of week 2 on my own which I never realized added more torque that is not needed.

I'm headed in for a revision and I really should sticky this thread b/c I'm planning to follow everything you recommended.

I was practicing the last few weeks. The last few days I've been 'lenient' b/c I know I have to go back to strict rules.

• Wow thanks for all of the advice. Let me try and answer some of the questions. My back has been hurting me for about 9 months. On Thanksgiving I got up out of the bed and felt a pain in my back that got progressivley worst. My primary care doctor examined me and sent me for a MRI. It came back saying that I have a bulging disc that's pinching a nerve. I later went on to see an Orthrpedic doctor and he stated that it was in the L4/L5 area. HE sent me to get some shots. The nerve root block was very unsuccessful. The ESI was so painful that I cried for thr next 10 days. Went back to the ortho doctor and we both agreed onthe surgery. I suppose to get a laminotomy(sp) and then the discectomy. I will stay overnight and be discharged the next day. I thank all of you who has left replies. I am so stressed out by all of this. Also the doctor performing it is a spine surgeon,.
  • The surgery is 2/4/10. My doctor wants me to have off 8 weeks.. I was thinking 4 to 6.