Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Leg pain

jysingletonjjysingleton Posts: 16
Wow First time posting on this site...I need some advice! I have a multi level fusion and mid back pain that i am awaiting another surgery...i have this under control and know what to expect, however, I am experiencing on top of this some serious leg pain that I do not know how to handle and at what point do you take yourself to the hospital...I am not one to do that so i sit at home in major pain! of course i am in the care of a surgeon in Canada that i admire and trust and we are doing MRI's Bone Scans etc etc its just in Canada you wait and wait and I hurt so much that the sheets in my bed hurt the back of my legs...ooo just to vent it out here helps so! and to know that I am on a site with others that have this is so releiving!...Anyway I wont go to the hospital and my doctors offer me meds for pain relief but i cannot seem to get on top of it..Help??

• That's rough you're having so much pain in your legs right now. I hope you don't have to wait too long for your surgery. Are you taking any meds for your leg pain? Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi J----leg pain is vicious--don't try to be a hero---it is ok to go get help!Let us know if you get some relief!Jeannie
  • Thank you for replying to my message...its wonderful to have support...my leg pain has had me squirming all day...I take 1800mg of Gabapentin a day (600 x 3) and I take 30mg of Oxycodon (10x3) I originally busted up my back 12 years ago thats when I had the fusion on 3 levels from a burst fracture...then I went and hyperextended my back by hitting the water at 35mph (approx) waterskiing second accident 12years later and now i have really mad my surgeon mad :) He says my vertabrae ontop of my fusion is very badly misaligned and he needs to do another fusion surgery. All this I have under control but the leg pain on top of it from the (what the doc thinks but is not confirmed) spinal stenosis is just draining me mentally and i cry and struggle to keep my self together...the meds I am taking currently do not do too much to help...maybe dull the pain but not enough to have me totally comfy..I am afraid to increase because i dont want to become dependant..my docs are really good and they work with me and trust me...OUCH..i am so upset!!!! thank you for allowing me the opportunity to vent!..I feel bad for my family and friends (I have an excellent support group they are wonderful!!) I just feel like I am always talking about my back... Jen :)
  • I could not take it anymore...my leg pain was so bad and I woke up with mid back pain that had me sick and not seeing straight..I called my mom and she took me to Emerg. I was sent right in and after a couple quick tests and reviewing my file the ER doc sent for an Orthopedic Surgeon to see me (mine was away)he lifted my right leg and pushed down on my feet and I dont know what happened but my right arm started shaking uncontrollably and my hand turned BLUE! I was so upset and shakey and scared!!..he examined my buttocks and in that area there was numbness and my legs are numbing so he said that he wanted to check with the on call surgeon and possibly do surgery that night. I was in shock..I guess I have just put the idea that i needed surgery in the back of my head...anyway the on call doc did not want to do it that weekend as I am not losing my bowel or bladder they wanted to wait for my doc (who has an amazing reputation and i know is really good so i was somewhat relieved) they increased my meds so I am basically on bed rest (with limited walking no driving etc) and I am at home...I want to thank you for just the ability to vent it out and the comments back that said dont be a hero...etc I dont like going to the hospital but that was encouragement!..

• Everything I thought i had going has changed. I have seen my surgeon and i have Arachnoiditis. I have already posted on another forum about this but just wanted to update this one because I know so little about how all this works.

I can no longer have the mid back surgery (at least until the inflamation calms down) The arachnoiditis is what is causing all my leg and lower back pain. I have been sent alot of information on another forum that i am going to read and digest just wanted to update this one...My surgeon has known for two years and did not tell me.
  • I'm sorry to hear about this and the Surgeon not telling you. If you can tolerate heat I have had relief from my infrared platinum heating pad while sitting. I too live in Canada and the wait to see 3 Surgeons was so long. They can't do anything for me with only mild DDD but I can't work or do anything. My Dr. put me on Oxycontin 40mg 3xday and Cymbalta seems to help with the leg pain. I hope the inflammation goes down and they're able to operate again if that's what will help realign your back. Thinking of you and a prayer for you during this difficult time. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • You are kind and warm and I thank you..it helps

And I do hope you find relief as well! I will be thinking of you.

Where would I find an infrared heating pad? I live in BC! on the wet coast...where it is raining as i type...What is DDD? and Cymbalta? does that help with Leg Pain?..Yes I am not sure if the doc will operate now that he knows my Arachnoidits is flaring up and getting worse..he seems to want little to do with me..but he did say to go and see him in 2 weeks...I have to work up the courage to do that right now as I am very disappointed in him for not telling me 2 years ago when he knew..I cannot tell you but i a sure you know the social effects this has had on me as I cannot keep up with friends and family and I have always thought i was a whiner and a bit crazy?? but i did believe in myself and i pushed I knew something else had to be wrong! I would not give up or go away..I really feel for those that do and are left for years and years confused and feeling terrible...I want to help and at some point when i figure out all this and I am not so new to all this I will help..i dont know how that looks but i will !!..thank you for everything..
  • I also live on the Wet Coast(in a burb just outside of Vancouver). I am so sorry for all the pain you are going through right now. Both physical and emotional. I have read the other forum and see that you are learning a lot about your condition and digesting what it means. Knowledge is power. Your surgeon has asked to see you in a couple of weeks? I think if you can you should go. You have so many unanswered questions regarding his behavior and you need answers. You knew something was wrong and you had the strength to keep pushing. As you mentioned discussions about proper pain management for the condition would be in order. You could ask your doctor about the pain management clinic at St Paul's Hospital. Cymbalta is a antidepressant/antianxiety med that is suppose to help with nerve pain. Many people see a benefit. I recently tried it and felt quite ill on it so I discontinued. I'll be thinking of you and if you wish feel free to PM me.
  • You can find an infrared platinum heating pad online at ebay or from the company Thermocare. I got mine from a drugstore in Markham for $180. and $20. delivery charge. DDD = Degenerative Disc Disease. Cymbalta is used for nerve pain in the legs or arms depending on where the sciatica is bonus it's an anti-depressant also. I hope you get to your appointment in 2 weeks. I can't understand why he didn't tell you you had this but hopefully there will be some solution for your pain. It must be so nice to live in BC. Are you by the ocean? The only time I ever saw the Ocean is when I've been to Florida or on my webcam. TC Charry
  • Hi Thenade, I read your post and you are right i should work up the courage to go ask my surgeon these questions...unfortunatly for me (cause he is an amazing surgeon and everywhere I go people tell me how lucky I am to be in his care) I am so disappionted in him that I dont know if I can look at him. I dont beleive that he would want to hurt me in any way, he is a very nice man, and look what he does for a living! But he is a Trauma Doc Not a Chronic Pain Doc...so I have all these things rattling thru my head. I do have the vertabrae above my fusion that needs to be fixed, he said it is unstable and rocking on my facet joints crushing nerves thats why i have mid back pain. So his initial response was to fuse it. I would like him to fix it because I do beleive he is the best and I am in his care and no longer on a wait list so it makes sense. I probably just need more time to get over him not telling me about the Arachnoiditis. :) Thank you I really does help for me to write all this out! ...I have always been that way,

Charry, Thank you for the info..i am going to find one..sounds so nice when its so cold and wet..DDD...is it progressive? My husband has it too but he is at the early stages..I did not put the DDD together with what doc told him...he got up to go to the washroom few months ago and passed out on the floor unconsious!! I had to call an ambulance..It scared me but he was ok and they told us that he had some degenerated discs. He said he never felt such pain. Well you have this in common with my husband..and he is a tough man! Its not fun.

Yes my husband and I live right on the ocean I can see it right now...but its kinda fogged over and rainy, we live in Vancouver BC it is beautiful when its sunny. Where do you live? (i too am in a Burb outside of Van) I always webcam Hawaii and dream a little dream :) love it there...

I am going to ask about Cymbalta..i get woozzyy easily so not sure if it will work and I am going to inquire about the pain clinic at St Pauls

Thank you for the info :)