Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post TLIF muscle spasms and back pain

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi guys.

I can say that the pain in my hips and legs I had before surgery is gone (hooray), but I'm not sure about the back pain because it's still pretty bad in and around the incision.

I was told that the muscle spasms after TLIF surgery is usually the biggest problem and I've had those as well. But has anyone experienced muscle spasms in the front of the stomach or abdomen post TLIF? Today's the first time I've had these and I'd believe it could be Mr.Bill coming to visit except he's already been here and gone.

What's your experience with muscle spasms after your TLIF?

Also, although I walk every day, I find that standing too much makes my back pain unbearable. Did you experience this too?

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Standing was always my worst enemy. Standing for 20 mins. could ruin the best of days. I switched from soma 350 mg. 3xday to diazepam 5 mg.2xday yesterday and It has made a big difference for muscle spasms.
    Flexeril never has worked for me either.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Cath

I went to PT today. I am so glad I did. The therapist and I had a very long talk about what he can do to help relieve the muscle pain and speed the healing. In 20 mins I felt so much better. He is extremely careful not to do anything that might cause injury or pain. But by exercizing the right muscles the pain goes away. I also got a great back massage. He said there is fluid still in my back which the massage will help to move so it reabsorbs faster.

I am a huge believer in using PT before and after surgery. Today was 17 days after my surgery :)

• Sounds like you had a good day,Kris!
  • I had PLIF and my abdominals gave me awful grief once I started doing more. It was like time of the month pain but worse and they sort of throbbed. I would put a hot water bottle on my stomach and it helped a bit.
    Now the pain/aches I get are in my back which, pschologically, feels better! I expected back pain but not stomach pain!
  • I can't recommend this enough guys. You haven't used these muscle for months or even years. Now after surgery they need help.

My biggest complaint with surgeons is that they say good bye at the operating room door. Their job is done and all should be right with the world. It took 15 years for me to convince my ortho that PT is important.

The PT is also important because they can tell you which muscles to stretch and which to baby.