Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

back brace

texascowgirlttexascowgirl Posts: 535
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I just want to say my brace is really getting on my nerves-not exactly to the Official Texascowgirl Mini-Meltdown stage,but I did think about throwing it across the room.Which would be a very adult thing to do.

• I didn't like mine either after the first 4 or 5 weeks, I had to wear it for 3 months. Do you wear a cami or tank top under it, that helped me a lot.
    God bless and keep you... comfy :)
  • I do--and its not one of the really wide ones either----it just rides up on my boobs sometimes--very minor,I just had to vent--how are you doing?
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    My wife said put it on about a half hr. ago! I told her I was goin to take a nap and didn't need it!
    Shes sitting across the table from me. Giving me dirty looks!
    Jim :D
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • well,I won't get in the middle of that!I think she is worried you may wake up and make a jerky movement which would cause you more pain.I take mine off when I am in the recliner,but I keep it in the chair so I won't forget----at least your brace doesnt bother your boobs?
  • I totally get the boob thing, mine always "rode up" when I sat down, not as much when I tried to stand or walk, my daughters said it made my boobs look great, better then their best push up bra. I said they may look good, but this darn thing is not comfy, I'd rather be... well... droopy lol.
    I'm with Jeannie Jim, I'm not getting into and hubby wife discussions, but I will look the other way :)
    I'm doing well Jeannie, thanks for asking, I think the antidepressants have finally kicked in. woo hoo!! :D I am waiting to hear if I actually have to go "see" my surgeon or if we can plan my next offensive move over the phone, you know what that pesky nerve irritant is and how to destroy it while leaving the rest of the nerve and back in tact. :)
    Hey Jim, how do you get that emoticon lying down laughing, he is too cute.
    God Bless and keep us... everyone :)
    When you click the smileys', he is in there with the rest 3 rows down. In the mid.
    Now, I'm not touching the boob thing.
    I'm getting in enough trouble with the corset, Silk P.J.s,and the red pumps! (not that there's anything wrong with it) =)) =)) =)) Jim
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Lucky me - I only had a soft velcro brace.

I was able to dig it out and use it to go back to work these past 2 weeks.

I CANNOT imagine if I was trying to work in one of the bustier-braces!!! NOT in the Children's Library anyway!
  • I hated my brace from the moment it was fitted on me in the hospital. My first fusion I didn't have to wear a brace. It totally stinks trying to get in/out of the van and driving, etc. Stinks so bad, so uncomfortable, that I still barely go anywhere.

I have noticed as time has gone on (fusion was 11-18-09) I seem to "forget" to put it on sometimes. I think when I get the go-ahead to stop wearing it I may just build a small fire and burn it!! I HATE IT!!! Also, being short-waisted it really rides up, smashing my chest up to my chin. Not comfy, at all.
  • 'Lo there Tex!

You're on a subject I love to gripe about! ha. I hate that brace. I hated it as soon as I put it on. I thought it might grow on me, but nope. It still sucks out loud! Oh I know it's helping me recover, but Lawdy it's uncomfortable, hot and surely NOT a chick magnet.

How much longer are you stuck in yours? I think I have about 5 weeks to go. I can't wait either. It doesn't push up my boobs, but it does push my pants down quickly. About one aisle in the store and I'm 'sagging' And about the worst; I can't carry a gun with the brace on. Shoulder holster gets hung up in the plastic and the bottom of the brace comes below my belt.

I've had several official Mini-Meltdowns already on account of my turtle shell. BUT, I do wear it when I'm supposed to. It's off when I'm in bed, the shower , the recliner or making a short trip around the house (like to the bath). Other than that, it's on me helpin' me to grow back together!

Glad I ain't the only one who loves that thing ;)

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Glad you posted the brace question as I had a similar question. I picked up my custom LSO brace today. It doesn't affect the chest much (not a TLSO so rides under the chest) but in trying it out at the house it seems that when I go from sitting to standing part of the brace is hitting the front upper thigh. It's not bad now but I'm wondering if I keep doing this after surgery if that area is going to be so sore just from the mini-pressure. The brace guy was great and said that if in the hospital there is a concern he'll come and see if he can fix it for me. And I am to see him a week after I get out of the hospital.

I made sure to buy tank tops (guys tank tops are so much cheaper than women's so I bought mens) and extra sweat pants for comfort.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I think I will re-decorate the brace-I have rhinestones on it,think I will go the leather,turquoise,southwest look---

• How about those leather roses?
    Or you could paint it to look like sexy underwear!

How about a six pack for you Aaron?
  • Do most fusions have braces? Its one of the questions I'm going to ask my doctor at the pre-op? Or does it depend on what kind of fusion you get like the multi-level ones or single level.
    I had one of those before. But not this time. Mine is the corset. Wow my complaints don't even count! Eric yes, you'll always have to wear some kind of brace. Depending on the surgery and the surgeon it will be a "corset" or a "turtle shell" (TLSO)
    Good luck, Jim
  • ok-I did a turquoise flower with a dragonfly in the middle,and put silver crosses across the front,-----I had a wider,hard brace that went from just under my boobs to down on my hips with my first fusion.With this one,I have a black one that is 5-6 inches wide,and is soft and floppy.Velcro closure.Even though this was an anterior/posterior and the first was posterior,it is smaller.So maybe depends on the surgeon?
  • I think you are right, it depends on the doc. Mine was like the one you have now, the day my doc said I didn't have to wear it any more, I carried it out of his office and tossed it into the back of my car (hatchback) and it is still there. :party:
    God Bless and keep You...artistic/creative,
  • Finding a solution to the discomfort you've had with this brace is wonderful. Now you can see your dragonfly which I think is told to be "good fortune" I hope you continue to heal and be told by your Surgeon you don't need the brace anymore. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • thank you,my friends.You are such a blessing!
  • I'm 8 months out from my surgery now. I didn't like wearing the brace the 4 months that I did, but when I look back on it I found that it indeed helped me. It has take a lot of core strengthening to get to a point where I'm comfortable with out it. So what if it rides up on your boob area, it makes for some memorable photos. I'm glad I was given the opportunity to use the brace, fully paid for by BCBS/TX. It gave me much needed support even though it was a hot TX summer to deal with it. I also had to teach in it for 2 months. My students were very understanding and looked right past it. Also, it gets sympathy points too. I had people helping me out more because the brace reminded them that I had been through quite an ordeal. So, look on the bright side. This time period will pass and you'll be out of it in no time.
  • The brace. Mine is a TLSO with an added on thoracic thingy that bolts on and comes up in front of my chest to keep me from bending forward. I love it. I does get me a lot of strange looks though. Often people just kinda stare at it and then look away when I look at them. Sometimes they ask me about it. Our waitress at the steak place the other night goes, "Hey, what happened to you Darth Vader?" It was refreshing that she'd just come out with it like that. She asked quite a bit about the brace and then come to find out, she's got back surgery coming up!

My mother in law thought I ought to bolt a drink holder to it. Hmm. Nahhh..

Over & Out
  • I love the drink holder idea!!!!It is true the brace is great,and I feel safer with it on.Also,when I am out and about,people are for the most part very kind---opening doors,etc.I havent gone grocery shopping by myself yet,but I remember from my first fusion the fact that I got alot of help with them.I hope to go back to substitute teaching in March,and I know the kids will be good about helping. I used to teach full time,and kids were always very tuned to how I was feeling.Plus,I decorated it,so it is another accessory.
  • Hey you might be on to something there Tex! I don't know if I'd like flowers and stuff on mine though. I have a couple biker lookin' stickers on it. If I had to wear it too much longer, I'd have someone airbrush some 6-pack abs on it and then I could go around with my shirt unbuttoned and look cool...or maybe not ;)

I can't wait 'till summer and I do go shirtless around the pool with my double length buttcrack scar! haha..Hoboy

Rock on,
  • yep,my bikini days are WAY over
  • :loll: :loll: :loll: :lol:" alt=":lol:" height="20" /> :lol:" alt=":lol:" height="20" /> :crying: :crying: :lol:" alt=":lol:" height="20" /> :lol:" alt=":lol:" height="20" /> :loll: :loll: :loll: :jawdrop: never never ever ever again. thats all I can say. :D
  • and I am wondering now how many dont? I also wonder if my surgery would have had a better outcome if I would have had one.
    My Ortho doesnt believe in braces. He said that it just makes your back muscles weak. I dont know. The other Ortho that was gonna do a three level used braces. Hmmm....Maybe not having one put to much pressure on the disc that wasnt fused that had a tear and now that is the problem? Gwennie, what do you think? Anybody have opinions? Love, Robin :?
  • I don't think that the surgeon that I'm going to see next week, uses braces either. Because he thinks it makes the muscles lazy!! I'll let you know after I've seen him.
  • I have a softer velcro brace, supposed to wear for 4 months. The problem is mine rides up, even with the wife beater under it, so eventually my boobs look huge. Victorias Secret got nuttin on me right now. Once I adjust it, all back to normal. Sigh, I kinda like it LOL.
  • Hi Fellow Spineys,

This is just my experience. First fusion was L2-L4, rods and screws,bone taken from Iliac crest,PLIF. No brace worn. Dr. said hardware would keep things in place as I fuse.

Six years later:
    Second fusion: L4-S1,ALIF, plate screws and cages. By this time we also knew my neck started crumbling. Dr. has me wearing hard brace with velcro closures.
    Dr. said he has seen a slightly lower success rate with Anterior fusions so is being ultra-conservative this time.

He knows I hate it, but he wants the best outcome possible. Hopefully I won't have to wear it soon, and then I can look forward to what kind of cool neck brace will be in my future, Yeah!
  • that my first fusion with no brace was a total success, no hardware failure, etc.