Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

abdominal incision

xMARxxMAR Posts: 125
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, I am 4 and a part months post op and I have a question for those that had a anterior posterior fusion. my stomach has a hard lump, not protruding, but you can see it and it is very sore. My stomach incision is about 8 inches long and still sore as if I was 1 week PO. My doctor says it's scar tissue or an abcess and not to be concerned. When I hear abcess I think about my gums!! Isn't that an infection? I don't know, but has anyone out there been through this and sore for this long. I see my OS again Feb 3rd. Thanks so much, Kevin

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    That surgery was a long time back for me but, My abdomen incision was not bothering me at 4+ mos. Is it red or just hard and hurt? I'm male and have never had kids, but I wonder If that would make a difference.
    Good luck, Jim P.s. get it checked
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Hi Mar-I am so sorry to hear you are still in pain-since I am only 1 month post op I can't comment,but I sure would have someone calm my fears!I will be anxious to hear about your check next week---us front-back spineys need all the help we can get!-----and I am sorry the Vikings didn't win for ya--Jeannie
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Perhaps he said "adhesion" and not "abscess"? An adhesion is a type of scar tissue (while abscess would indeed indicate infection). I had an internal adhesion after my laproscopic gallbladder surgery. Kept me from standing up straight until one day I went swimming in a friend's above ground pool and when I came out it was gone.

If it's an adhesion, sometimes massage will break up the adhesion. If it keeps up and continues to bother you then I'd ask the doctor to maybe examine it more closely and/or refer you to a general surgeon who can. Keep in mind spine surgeons access the spine via the front but they are not the experts at abdominal incisions where a general surgeon could at least examine it for you.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Kevin, I just noticed youre signature. I didn't see it. so obviously you've never had any kind of child birth either!
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Hey Jim no I have never conceived a child although I could lose a few pounds. LOL!!! SpineAZ thanks for the info. My OS probably did say adhesion. It makes a lot of sense what you said. I think I'll take your advise when I see him next week. It is very sore. Jeannie, How are you doing? It's nice to hear from you and hope you are doing better. Well, I'm hoping the Colts win the super bowl. The Vikings made a lot of mistakes and I think could have won if they played better! How's the weather there? Typical Minnesota here. -2 tonight and 8 degrees tomorrow!! Kevin