Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

i think an error might have been made with facet joint ablation

Pepper1PPepper1 Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
my god, the nightmare continues...

i had rf ablations performed at several cervical levels. during the procedure, i was awake, but lightly sedated. all joints but one went smoothly.

the last yielded problems. during the sensory/motor provocation, i was only asked IF i felt sensations/twitching, not WHERE.

during the last one, provocation produced shoulder sensations(i never had shoulder pain). I was only asked if i felt anything. not where. ablation then started, but stopped due to extreme pain- in my shoulder.

it's only been a few days, but i still have shoulder pain, and am worried. should i see a neurologist? any suggestions? think a spinal nerve was damaged? thanks.

• This sounds normal to me. I've had a lot of pain in other areas, as well as the treated area. Think it can take 4-8 weeks to evaluate whether it helped or not. It has been very painful, much more painful than the SPG blocks/ablations to the trigeminal nerve, and much more painful than the cervical blocks.

They had to do all 4 vertebrae at the same time because that's the only way my insurance would pay. (Have read some posts where people are blaming the doctors, but it may be the insurance company.) The doctor's preference is to do only 2 vertebrae at a time for me, and there was a discussion that I was going to be in a lot of pain. They insisted on giving me some hydrocodone, even though I had never needed any for the other procedures, and I am grateful they did.

Have had a TREMENDOUS amount of pain and cramping with some burning and numbness in the area and around my lower head and neck, but have been trying to be patient to let the area heal.

After 6-8 weeks, if not substantially better, then I'm going to ask to go to physical therapy. Here's my background and what I've done after reviewing posts on here, with my doctor's assistance:

I have had migraines, but mostly treated with SPG blocks (6 total) and ablations (2 total) completed mid-December 2011, then my vertigo went totally nuts on me, so I went back. The first cervical block stopped the vertigo completely, so proceeded with one more then ablation.

Post-procedure about 1 week, after done with the hydrocodone, started taking Flexeril, prednisone, fioricet, and phenergan daily, every morning everything but predisone as needed for pain. (Am dosing down now from the prednisone and don't take fioricet at night, as it contains caffiene.)

Also took:
    1. Sprix, the new torodol nose spray, but only had one day's dose left and it is not covered by insurance, so haven't taken any more, but it worked really well. (Had used for migraines in the past)
    2. The new famotidine plus ibuprofen pill called something like Duexix, which worked ok but increased my nausea after using 4-5 days.
    3. Melatonin to sleep. Even before I started the prednisone, I was unable to sleep becauce of pain and discomfort.
    4. Anti-acid like fematodine at least daily.
    Also using Arnica cream, Aspercreme, and Zim's Max-Freeze (like Bio-Freeze) on the area. Heat and ice sometimes help too, but not as much as the creams.
    Had one TENS treatment that helped as well, but just haven't had the time to do more.

I am taking WAY more medicine than I ever have, but at least it is working to help me be more functional, whereas the migraine meds (imitrex, axert) always seemed to make me worse.

What I'm wondering is if others are experiencing a lot of nausea after the procedure? I can touch certain places on the back of my head and neck and get nauseated. Of course if I lay on those areas or sit with pressure on those areas, I get nausea too.
    (Why I'm taking phenergan.)

Also, have others suffered from vertigo and had the upper neck ablations stop it? (This has been an amazing result for me because I have an inner ear problem that the ENT said there was no treatment for.)