Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck Pain

cindy4hopeccindy4hope Posts: 25
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical

Dealing with terrible neck pain. I have bone spurs in my neck and am having pain daily, it gets so bad that it makes me sick. I have had to take Hydrocodone or Tramadol almost daily, I really don't want to get addict to taking these meds everyday, but nothing else seems to touch the pain. I try to do neck exercises daily, but that doesn't seem to do much. I also have migraines, so you put that combination together and you have major Pain! How do you that have neck pain deal with it or treat it?

• Hi Cindy,

I know what both you and Paul deal with all the time. We are caught in a catch 22. We don't want to be on meds, but we don't want to be in constant pain that is at the level that keeps us in bed. I am on a Fentanyl patch, topomax, lidoderm patches, and as needed take flexeril and diclofenac. I also get weekly lidocaine trigger point injections and warm pool therapy twice a week. I think that combination really helps. I find that heat helps me more than ice. I have a lot of radiating pain over to my shoulder and down to my shoulderblade. It also goes down one arm and down to one hand. When my meds start to wear off, one arm feels much, much heavier than the other.
    I don't know if this might help you, but my physical therapist suggested that I get a cane and use the top of the hook part of it to press into my trap. muscle to press into the trigger points that run between the neck and the shoulder. You pull the cane forward with your hands and it hooks into the trigger points. It really works, and you can do it with one hand- your stronger one.

I must admit that dealing with it is a constant challenge, and that laughter is the best distraction. If I can get distracted by laughter or relaxation, I will take it. :) I wish u all the best. You can PM me anytime!

hugs, glo :)
  • use on these, what Glo describes above:

I also highly recommend pool therapy. There is a floating device that can be placed around your neck and you hang in the deep end of the pool for traction. Oh I used to love that.

Best wishes,

• Is this an option? Seems like someone is prescribing some pretty heavy meds so they must believe you are in pain. If it is just some spurs they should be able to go in and remove them without doing fusions or anything else.
  • I would suggest seeing a Neuro Surgeon. All the drugs do not fix the problem they only mask it. You need to alleviate the cause before the drugs become a lifestyle.