Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lack of Sleep

TraseeTTrasee Posts: 571
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I cannot sleep. I sleep 2-4 hrs then I am awake and stiff. And cannot go back to sleep from stiffness. I have tried ambien, and I can sleep up to 5-6 hours but the stiffness is horrible at that length. After my lil escapade with the dilaudid at the ER, I am not looking for long periods of sleep, maybe just sleep without the stiffness. I have a great mattress. The dog and on again off again bf sleep fine on it and I did too prior to this surgery.

Any suggestions? I am going to Doc at 11am so I am going to discuss with him too. Poor guy, I gots lots to say today.

Anywho, gonna finish watching The Lovely Bones, good movie, great and freaky role for Stanley Tucci.

• maybe try something along the lines of valium lorzepam those seem to have good success rates but good luck!
  • Ambien Controlled Release (or CR)?

This form will help you fall asleep as well as stay asleep. I have a few friends at work that swear by it (we all work the night shift).

Good luck at the doctor's today!
  • I find that if I sleep for more than 2 or 3 hours I wake up stiff and hurting. I have to get up and walk around a bit, get a drink of water and try to go to sleep. Sometimes it works and I sleep another 2 or 3 hours. I find that if I don't sleep in the same position each time, I can get a little bit more sleep.

Little tricks like not going to sleep with and empty stomach and staying hydrated seem to help.

• I have trouble sleeping too. Last night I was so exhausted went to bed at 8:45 pm, by 11:30 finally fell asleep. But now I can only sleep on my sides and have to turn over frequently due to pain and stiffness, which wakes me up, of course, then have trouble falling asleep again.

Next week I see my Dr. for 3 month post op visit. I think I'll bring up the sleep problem.

My neck has also been keeping me up at night. For you neckies out there: what helps you get comfortable? I haven't had surgery (yet) but I know its in the future. Right now I have one of those pillows with the dip in the middle (yeah, I'm the dip....)Any suggestions would be great.

Good luck with your appointment Traci.
  • Traci--we should all just get on here and visit!I am almost 5 weeks post-op and I go through the same thing.I get up,go to the bathroom,drink some water,do some deep breathing-sometimes it helps.I am ready for bed by 8,and usually get up about 4:30----I take 2 hydro when I get up,not so much for pain,but I am so stiff and achy.Let us know what the dr.says,and maybe a fellow spiney will have some tips--hang in there
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    This last surgery. But I think it's from 1. Meds wearing off and I wake up hurting or 2. I have insomnia from something they added to my med regiment. Or 3. I'm just on to much drugs! Ambein and ambien cr. aren't working for me. And they usually do. I think maybe I need to keep a middle of the night pain pill by the bed w/a glass of water. because once i get up and go downstairs to get 1 I'm just up and to awake to go back to bed!
    Trasee, If you are just stiff maybe ask about celebrex 200 mg. 2xday. Should last through the night.
    Good luck, Jim

Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Thanks for all the suggestions!! When I spoke to my dr he suggested many of the same things. He did say to take half a hydro when I wake or half a valium or flexeril depending on the stiffness or pain. He also stressed staying hydrated, even if it wakes me to go to the restroom at least I will have to walk around and to have 80 lb dog sleep in her own bed. He did not say 185 lb Army Lt had to sleep in his own bed. LOL. But he did surprise me by saying not to take Ambien unless I had to, because it probably is making me sleep in one position, and he wants me moving even in my sleep!!

So thanks for the help. You're all so kind to reply to everyone. This sight has helped immensely, even when I have been at the end of my rope!!

Here's to decent rest for all of us I)

• Trasee...I'm feeling you about the sleeping issue. I'm a necky. Its been almost 3 months I guess, but I still don't sleep well...Ambien, Flexeril and Vicoden included! I have nights where I'll get 5 hours and I wake up happy and refreshed but the stiffness is a doozy!!!!!

And this week...finally....I learned that the less sleep I get, the more pain I feel. I wonder if that's just me, because its crazy. I have one stretch that I'm supposed to do in the morning and at night. I will not lie....it hurts and causes me to take Vicoden in the daytime, which I really would like to stop doing. But I'd rather be sleepy than hurting. sigh......this forum has been a great help to me too!!! I guess its true....nobody knows like a fellow spiney. thank God my hubby is so supportive because this far out of surgery, it is so hard to believe that I'd still be in substantial pain somedays and painfree other days.

Hopin' today's a good day for you!!!! Let us know what your doc says.

• I've also been having a hell of a time trying to fall asleep. Once I'm asleep I can usually stay sleeping for 7 hours or so. My husband told me that I've been cracking my back in my sleep!! I was horrified to hear that!! Like twisting it to crack it... ahhhh!

I hope you find some sleep relief soon. Ugh it feels like you're the waking dead or a crackhead sometimes when you haven't had enough sleep.

BTW, how was The Lovely Bones?? I just finished that book and had no idea the movie was made until I was half way through it. I have to say, parts of the book were a little ridiculous and made me not want to read it anymore, but I finished it anyways.