Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ADR of L3-S1 by Dr. B and I feel AWESOME

kendrakkkendrak Posts: 79
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 4 days post op and I'm so excited. I feel none of the leg pain from my 3 torn, herniated and degenerated discs. He reaplaced all 3 with ProDisc-L. Dr. B. is amazing. I love Germany it is a great place to recoup. I'm missing my son but I'm thankful that I am on the road to a pain free life. Thank you all so much for you support. They are appreciated. ADR has given me back my life in just days. My pain level has gone froma 8 to a 3 WOW!!!

• Wow, how great to hear a success story! Thanks for sharing your experience. I hope you stay feeling this good. :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • That is great news. Enjoy Germany and gather your strength for the journey home.

• can we be rude and ask how much this cost?

• Fantastic news Kendrak. I've been thinking of you and wondering how you were getting on.

Rest and recover ready for your journey home to your little boy.

It is so encouraging how little pain you have now.
  • Wow that is so cool Kendra, its amazing you are feeling relief so soon after surgery. I wish you a speedy recovery and a good start to getting your life back.

I hope to keep in touch with how you are doing, I may still be getting the same three level ADR down the road. Keep giving us good news Kendra.

take care......Mitch
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    How long until you come home? Will you be able to fly comfortably? Do they give you a brace? I'm guessing you found a physician in the US to do follow up?

Sorry for all the questions but I am curious. Best Wishes for healing and relaxation!
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Hi,
    Salty444- The surgery costs approx. $65,000. US dollars for a 3 level replacement. I went through European Medical Tourism- Tim Vicknair to get specific quotes originally. This price included cermaic injections for bone density on the vert. endplates, I did not need that but I did end up having my husband stay the night with me, which is about $60.USD a day.

Mitch- This is the guy to have your surgery done with. Dr. B. is absolutely THE BEST there is. He is intelligent, meticulous and I met a guy today that had the ADR surgery from him in 2000 and is still doing amazing. Dr. B. does surgery in Bogen and Straubing which are out the country to save money for the clients, which is nice.

SpineAZ- No problem, I did at least 1 year of research on ADR vs. ALIF before coming to this choice. I was going in to do a 3 level fusion and my surgeon told my husband if I were his daughter, he'd try and come up with the money to do the ADR surgery. So he will be my follow up Dr. You can find a doc who is allowed to do 1 level ADR in the US and he'd probably be willing to do your X-ray and MRI follow-ups. (Really the German Dr. will still interpret the X-rays as you just zipfile them to him.) So any US Dr. who can order x-rays and MRI's would probably be fine,as they don't have to interpret, the German Dr. will follow your case still. The cost includes a brace that you wear anytime you walk outside of your room or sit up to eat, etc. I can an sit to about an hour and walk all around the hospital and I'm only 7 days out. I am flying business class back and forth, paid for by my in-laws but it allows me to have the seats recline to a bed position, which for 12 hours to Germany was much needed. Please send me any private messages.
  • Just waiting to be dishcharged from hospital, they are doing a CT scan for a hematoma/blood vessel that is hurting in my abdomen. My back feel AMAZING! There is hope for that never-ending hopeless leg pain to go away, it's just spendy, but I used to drive a $50,000 car, now I have a $63,000. spine!
  • <:P <:P <:P Awesome news!
    I knnow the majority of the people on SH will be closely following your recovery as there is so much interest in ADR.

May you continue to improve every day. Take good care of yourself.

• Glad to hear your doing well. Your either very fortunate to be able to afford such a procedure out of pocket or you put that insurance settlement to very good use!! I'm just assuming that no US insurance companies would approve that procedure.

• I'm so pleased for you. Your new life starts here!

Hope that your journey is comfortable and that you'll continue to update us as to how things are going when you get home again.

Take care and keep healing.
  • I do not have much money, I live paycheck to paycheck. I sold my car, my 4-wheeler, snowmobile trailer, motorcycles, etc. and that barely put a dent in the bill. My family came together and raised together over $12,000. I will turn some things into Aflac disability and Hospital plans, maybe get $10,000.

My insurance company would only pay if it were a 1 level procedure, they said I could have 2 separate surgeries, and if I follow the FDA guidelines they will cover it, as I used a Pro Disc-L. I will fight for medical necessity and will not give up. I will hire Third Party Administrators or lawyers or whateer it takes. I was way too young to have to have fusion. I feel so good.
    My sister loaned me the money and now instead of a car payment, I will have a back payment. Totally worth it!
  • Kendra,

How are you doing? I hope you are doing so well you forgot all about us, please give us an update on how you are feeling.
  • Great news. I have heard great things about dr. B. I heard that the PM doc he uses did like a 5 hr diagnosis on someone trying to pinpoint thier pain generator. Never see that in the US. Dr. B did an ADR on T1, T2 for a friend which is unheard of. It seemed to work so far.i belive he is the worlds #1 in ADR and I have heard stories where ins. did approve mult. ADR in germany. Unfortunatly that road was a dead end for me as they do not do ADR at my level ( mid thorasic).

I hope continued success and a 63000 spine ( if helps) is the best investment you probably ever made financially.
    Herniated T6-7, multiple herniations in cervical, tears in T5-T8. Stenois at levels and smorls nodes from thoracic thru lumbar
  • I missed your post back in Feb and I'm thrilled that your surgery went so well. When you're able to, please let us know how you're going.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Best of luck on your recovery Kendra. I hope to hear good news from you later in your recovery also. I also had ADR but here in the states, single level L4L5. Soon as i sat up after my surgery i felt a sharp pain left side of the surgery area. Being my very 1st surgery ever, i thought maybe this was normal. Needless to say the more i healed up the worse that nerve pain has got.This was back in 2004 they used the flexicore disc clinical trial. They have fused me 2 years later leaving the adr in thinking that might help the nerve pain,needless to say it did nothing for the nerve pain.The discogenic pain that originated from the disc of course was gone,but created a much greater issue. Best wishes to you, and its very posible you might have made the right choice by staying away from some of these self claimed best dr's of our great nation of U.S.A.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,