Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SOS ! How To Pick A Good Pain Clinic????

MsHumptyDumptyMMsHumptyDumpty Posts: 1,567
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Chronic Pain
Maybe some of you remember my adult daughter who until last week was PG - she had her baby by emergency C-section last Tuesday. Due to her back injury the baby was stuck, hence the C-section.

She was under the care of a high risk OB whom gave her 3, 5 mg percocets ( sp? ) a day. Which was just enough to keep her from being 100% bed ridden.

Upon being discharged she was given a referral to a local family Dr - yeah I know we all said huh too :??

Any ways she seen this Dr yesterday who has referred her to a pain clinic. Hence my question of finding a good one.

The pain clinic around here which I myself have been to - 100% of the times recommends a series of steroid injections. That is it. No matter what what your back situation is, that is what they do.

I for myself did a lot of studying on these injections and decided not to go with them. My daughter also does not want to go this path.

So when we are calling around what are some approtate questions to ask as well as to look for?

My next question is - say 2 people have the same injury but are 20 yrs apart in age, does that make for a situation that a treatment for 1 is not a good option different for the one who is 20 yrs younger?

I am considering back surgery for me - however our family tells my daughter NOT to consider it for her as of her age ( 27 yrs old ) :?

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.

• Morning
    The way I found my pain doctor was I look in phone book Then I did a computer check on them. and thank God I found one that is willing to talk to me.
    At time I think he feel my pain. As for my other doctors they all said same thing there nothing else they could do. But my pm doctor told me about scs therape.
    going in next month for trial test If that work I'll be in heaven.

hoping you and your daughter to be pain free

• Congrats on the new grandbaby.

As has happened to some people on the board, the surgeon feels they are "too young" for certain procedures such as fusion. This is a matter of personal opinion and will vary from surgeon to surgeon.

Instead of a PM clinic, could your daughter make an appointment with a spinal surgeon or does she have to have a referral? It seems to me she should get an accurate, up-to-date diagnosis before starting in with pain management.

You could contact your state medical society for a list of interventional pain medicine doctors and also doctors of physical medicine and rehabilitation (physiatrists). Or look in the yellow pages for those specialties, or look under pain clinics.

Also you can use your computer to accomplish the same thing. Once you get some names, do some research about the doctors using the various resources that are available on the internet.
  • If you do an advanced search, there's options for pain management doctors. Might be a good place to start at least.
  • Once you get an appt, usually, for me anyway they would send out a packet, asking you to fill it out and bring it back in.

In both places I have been it stated right in the packet their policy on Narcotics. The place I go specifically stated they do not off narcotic meds and manage pain by treatments and work with your PCP to use narcotics if needed. It pretty much, sucks...but insurance and my wife kept me going there, now my SCS was placed by them, so I kind of fear the future if I have any problems. I'd not do it this way again!

The second place was 2.5 hours away, much more personable people, their packet explained they did many different forms of treatment and would not prescribe narcotics or other pain meds until the second visit and they had full evaluated the new patient. That is the place that suggested my SCS. It was out of network for my insurance and a long drive through heavy traffic on weekdays, so at my wifes request I went back to PM 1 and asked about the SCS and he agreed it was a good option, Why he could not have suggested it himself I will never know.

The last thing to mention is the local clinic has stopped participating in my insurance and is now also out of network! I can't even get an adjustment made without prior approval or paying the full bill myself!

My point is that once you think you have found the right clinic trust your instinct and go to the place the "feels" right to you.

When calling, instead of asking if they deal with narcotics ask them what procedures the generally try first, or ask them if they have an information packet for the first time patient that you can look at.

Hope any of my wrambling on helps
  • i don't think a pain clinic is a good idea. i see an individual pain dr who is not associated with a clinic .clinics tend to go by their rules especially pain meds. all the doctors will adhere with the rules. if they are against pain meds then all doctors in clinic won't use them. try to find an individual pain dr and not a clinic. ask your dr for a pain guy. if they refer you to a clinic ask for an individual doctor. places like kaiser are clinics and they all have their rules to follow drs don't go against the rules. this is especially true with antibiotics. they don't like to give them out and they won't. if you are wedded to a clinic all i can say is good luck
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • oh boy ! 8} I don't think this next part of her journey is going to be any fun :(

BUT I am greatful for all this information - Thanks! :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Here in Utah, I see a doc in the only paim mgmt., clinic within 100 miles. It is ridiculous. Most primary care physicians in this state refuse to prescribe narcotics, they won't do it no matter how much you hurt. My original doc that actually attended my back surgery with me and held my hand while they put me out (Bless him) I was so scared, he used to take good care of me with narcotics. He knew I wanted to ride my horse, and garden, and do all the things I loved, plus I work 40 hours a week. Then at 82, he retired and passed away. I had one tough year, trying to get the new doc to do much of anything and finally found this pain mgmt clinic. They have helped me tremendously and I know if I had not found relief, I would not be here. Granted, I wish they were a little better about the pain meds, but they are a great improvement from where I was. Good luck, hope you can find someone willing to treat you properly! AND Congrats on the grandbaby! I just got my first 8 months ago myself, what a little love!!
  • Sometimes getting to the managed part of chronic pain can be a, well, a pain.

You just have to keep fighting, even when you don't want to. At least she has you, someone who understands pain. That alone can make all the difference in the world!
  • What do you all think of me asking MY PM Dr. to see her? Do you think he would be uneasy with the mother - daughter relationship? Me & her have talked about this and never seem to be easy with it.
    We don't want to mess me up even by asking - such a "tender" situation between Drs and patients.

We spoke today again about this and said maybe she would go but not mention she is my daughter ---- hmmmmm :/ That also concerns me that we are trying to hide something...
  • If you like your pm dr.I would ask him to see her.
    And if i was your pm dr It would make me feel great that you trust me with your daughter. Myself I ask my pm dr to see my son and he said he be proud to see and help him. He even smile.

hoping you all to be pain free

• maybe I have read 1 too many horror PM Dr stories and that is why I am overly concerned - :?
This discussion has been closed.