Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Up, Walking the floors again

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I haven't been able to get a good nights sleep to much since the surgery. Last night, a good 6hrs. And that's good but tonight 1 1/2 hrs. And I'm back up walking the floors. The days are good, no complaints but the nights the pain creeps in and the level up. I'm doing most everything right. I'm allowed more meds if I want. But I'm on such a high amount that it seems crazy and scary to take more. but I've been up for 2 hrs. and I'm so tired my eyes are crossing. So I guess I'll take 1 and go back up stairs and try it again.
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!

• lack of sleep is horrid, i would take more pain meds if it allowed a little more sleep. do u take pain meds during the night ? is the pain getting ahead of u ? maybe try setting alarm during the night to take meds ? seems weird to wake up to take them but may allow your body more rest in long term.
    hope u get a few hours sleep to catch up, have u washed those silky pj's yet !!!
  • :D :D :D

Hope you got a few winks last night -- hate when the heads willing but the message didn't get to the body.

Take care,

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Pacific time zone. Back up at 6:00. I had gone back to bed for 2 shift at 2:30............ BUMMER!!!
    Oh yeah! The silk P.J.s have been laundered, by my wife. And now have that feminine smell. =)) And she was kind enough to buy 2 pairs. So I'd still have 1 to wear when the other is being laundered. :D
    Take a walk on the wild side! image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" />
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
    Is obviously making me crazy! Or the meds. kicked in! 8}
  • I know exactly what you are going through and I hope you fall into a good sleeping pattern real soon.

What color are your silk pj's? I have some big fluffy slippers (with nice grips on the bottom) that keep the tootsies nice and cozy, when pacing the hardwood floors. I would be happy to send you the link on where to purchase these. Sometimes, bare feet is the best bet during the night... no worries about slipping or falling.

I hope you have a better night sleep tonight.

Tammy :)

P.S. Sometimes when I'm walking the floors at night, I have this old commercial that starts playing in my head. Do you remember the Dunkin Donut's commercial where the guy kept saying... "Time to make the donuts... time to make the donuts"? He was super sleepy, like we are during the wee hours of the night. Maybe we should turn it around to, "Time to take a pill... time to take a pill"? LOL... 8}
  • You could be walking on the ceiling!!
  • Do any of us not have them? It stinks, especially like you Jim, fresh out of surgery and needing the real restful type of sleep.

Sometimes I think, "well, I shouldn't be sleepy, I got 9 hours of sleep" HA HA, maybe 9 hrs. in bed, but constant tossing and turning to find the right spot,the least painful one, then taking time to fall back asleep, oh yeah, gotta go to the bathroom,....ugh.

Does anyone have any success with chamomile tea?

Good luck Jim, and all others with the sleep problems, lets get some zzzzss
  • Sorry dude but it's the PJs. Ditch em. Just wear the Red Pumps. ;))

How about Ambien/CR? I had good results with that when the insomnia got worse. The funny thing is 1 of the pain killers was a double-edged sword. I had one that was pot luck. Sometimes I get tired other times it wired me up. I changed over to a similar potency one and that helped.

PS: Lisa, I tried the herbal teas. They take the edge off a bit but I had no luck with them. I tried the "Sleepy Time" one and a couple of other ones. They mix in Valerian root, Chamomile, etc... It is worth trying though. You might do just as well having some warm milk with honey in it.

• Lisa,

In my case I think Chamomile tea does help. I have a cup right before bed..like 10 minutes before I hop in. And sure enough, I get sleepy as hell. It is worth a try. Even if it doesn't work, it tastes good! Plus, about two hours before bed, I have a 1mg Alprazolam (kinda like Valium I think). I'd rather just have the tea, but I'm not against the miracles of modern chemistry if it helps me!

Peace y'all,
  • Thanks for the advice, I am going to try the tea and see if that helps. Next week is my 3 month post-op visit and will tell Dr. about my comfort/sleep issues.
  • I remember for several weeks after my fusion waking at night every 2-3 hours and taking a 5-10 minute walk around the house, it helped with stiffness and I usually was able to go back to some form of sleeping.
    I tried to walk that often during the day also.
    Hang in there, it gets better,
    God bless and keep you all ... rested,
    not anything too sassy! But
    Tammy how did you know i had hardwood floors. You're freakin me out!
    And the catchy tunes, You're killin me! and Kris, anymore problems and I will be walking the ceiling!
    Graham, I'm really starting to get attached too the silky P.J.s! The Ambien and the ambien cr. Used to work real good b4 the surgery. But this is a pain issue.The methadone used to work before the surgery. But because of the extra pain, it ain't gettin it! I guess that's why they gave me more drugs to add to the mix. I've just been reluctant to take that much. But I think I need to give in and see if it works. I can't go on like this. Or I really will be walking the ceilings!
  • I made my Chamomile tea with Valererian Sleepytime forte. I also made my husband's lemon and ginger. I got the two mixed up and wondered how he can drink this. I went down to get my tea he had and after one sip he was asleep! coincidece maybe. My sleeping pill puts me out for 10 hours which is way too long as half the day is gone. I wish I could sleep at night. Good luck you really need your sleep to heal. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I feel for you Jim. I am 3 months post op almost and still having sleep issues. Hearbal tea and melatonin were not helpful. Maybe just testing the extra drugs or if they are tablets halving them may do the trick. Seeing your history I am sure you have been there done that.

Maybe the red pumps are too much? Switching to a more muted color might help (|:

• I really hope you had a better night sleep and didn't wind up on the ceiling, Jim.

I completely understand being hesitant on taking more drugs. I am on a boatload, myself.

If you like hot tea, I think it's worth a try to see if one of them would help you at night. I like the chamomile with peppermint mix (two different tea bags). The other teas posted by everyone are great, too.

Please don't get freaked-out by me... LOL. I don't know why I get feelings on certain things... all I know is that it runs in my family (maternal side). It has to be a coincidence on the internet, in my opinion... but, who knows? My kids are touched with whatever it is, too. It's all good, not bad in any way. Here's a cool example. One week before I rushed Mike (my hubby) in to the ER a couple of years ago, my daughter Nikki (8 years old at the time) got out her toddler toy box and was searching frantically for her doctors kit. It had been years since she played with that plastic doctors kit. She has this 4 foot tall rag doll that she will play with sometimes and for whatever reason, she decided her dolly needed a "heart" check up. She brought the dolly out to us and was taking the doll's blood pressure and listened to her heart with the stethescope. She said her doll was having "heart" problems and she placed the stethescope around the neck of her doll. She insisted that the doll sleep in our bedroom, as it would make the doll feel better. She kept checking her doll every night and again, the doll slept in our room. All be darned if a few days later, I had to take Mike to the ER. He had hiccups for over 12 hours and was complaining of indigestion. Although Mike is in excellent health and had no heart problems whatsoever, I was really concerned and he agreed to be checked out. He wound up needing a stent put in, in one of his heart arteries, due to blockage. After he was diagnosed, both he and I looked at each other in the hospital and recalled the rag doll with "heart" problems.

Any hoo... I hope you are doing okay and hope the Sandman starts to visit you on a regular basis, real soon.

Take good care, my friend...

Tammy :)
  • Jim,

If the Ambien won't do it because the pain drives through it. Then do what the doc told you with the meds. As much as I am against the narcotics and pills for any length of time. First weeks out of surgery just plain hurt. No matter how you lay down, sit down, stand. You trusted this surgeon to open you up. Might as well trust that you can take the dose he told you. At least get through a couple of weeks and see if things settle down. Then back down the dose. You've been through this drill before. Just need to adapt to what this surgery needs for recovery. So what if you're zonked for a week or so. As long as you get your body to rest and get over this hump.

If that fails, try clicking your heals 3 times again and see where you land... ;-)

Good luck,
    Good advice. I'll do that and if things don't get better in a week, I'm going to make an appointment to see him I slept in shifts again last night and I'm a zombie anyway!