Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just a little good news

Jan MartinJJan Martin Posts: 164
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi All - I thought I would pass on a little positive news to those who wonder if it ever gets better. I haven't been on SH much lately since I am beginning to move on. I'm 6 months post op from 2 level lumbar fusion and I've been back to work for a month. At first it was tough mentally and physically but it is getting easier. I stand on my feet all day and lean over my students' desks so my back does get a little painful by the end of the day but it is incredible compared to this time last year when I was in unbearable pain.

I went for my 6 months check up this week and the surgeon said I am for the most part fused and released me to do just about anything I feel up to. I am still doing pool therapy and and have started to add more to my workouts at the gym. I still have some stiffness issues but I suppose that will never go away. I have definitely changed my way of thinking about what I do and how I do it to protect my back.

I remember wondering when I first started this journey if I would ever be able to have a somewhat normal life and get back to the things I enjoy. I am one of the lucky ones. I hope my good news will help someone keep their thoughts positive. This site was an important part of my preparation for and recovery from my surgery. Hang in there.

Now all I need is for it to stop snowing here in Maryland so I can get outside and enjoy my new back!

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    What happened to you. that is GREAT NEWS!!! I'm glad to hear it. And I hope it just continues to get better and better for you. Just be careful and don't slip on the ice or snow.
    Good luck,Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Hi Jan,I have only been on here abit over a month,so I didn't meet you-I am so glad to here your wonderful news!-yes be careful-I see you all are in for a pounding this weekend
  • Excellent! So glad you posted. I do remember some of those posts when you were somewhat distraught. I think the first time you posted was to inquire how soon you could go back to teaching. I know you are happy you followed our advice!! I think most people are starting to feel fairly "normal" by six months...but three is a whole other story, right?

Now do not decide to go out and shovel that novelty snow!!

Don't be a complete stranger...

• Good for you and glad you're healing well. My hats off to Teachers out there. My Niece is finished her first year at University and she's going to be a Teacher also. I hope you continue to heal completely. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN

• for your positive news on how you are doing. It is certainly encouraging for those of us that are facing fusion surgery, to hear of those who have a good outcome.

I seem to have been struggling with my back for so long, that it seems almost unbelievable that I will ever get back to being able to live a normal life again.

I am a teaching assistant, so will also have the bending issues on returning to work.

Wishing you well and hoping that you continue to improve and heal. Thanks for coming and sharing with us how you are getting on.
  • I've been sneaking in and out of the site for a while, just keeping up with everyone without putting in my 2 cents worth. I am sorry to hear that you are in pain after your latest surgery but hope that you soon find relief.

It has been a heck of a winter for us and I've been very careful in the ice and snow. We are getting wolloped as I write. At least I have a great excuse not to help out with the shoveling!

Take care.
  • I feel like I know you since I have been lurking in the background for a while even though I don't post much at all anymore. I became involved here right before my surgery and I am so glad I did. All the advice and personal stories certainly prepared me for what I went through. I hope soon you get relief. I'll be checking up on everyone now and again.
  • I am lucky, despite the typical difficult recovery post op, that I am doing so well. I don't think I would be appreciating that fact so much if not for the great people on this site sharing their stories and advice.

I believe the advice that you and others gave me about allowing myself to take the time to heal and regain my strength made a huge difference in my recovery. Knowing me, I would have tried to suck it up and would have wound up pushing myself too hard by going to work much earlier than I did.

Believe me - the younger, abler bodied people who live in our house have been doing a lot of shoveling this winter. The thought hasn't crossed my mind.
  • Thanks for the well wishes and I hope that you both find pain free days ahead. You all are awesome supporters.
  • Awesome! It is just so good to hear how positive you are and how well things are going. I wish you all the best for continued recovery!
  • Jan, Thanks for the update. It's so good to know that at that 6 month milestone you feel so much better. I can imagaine the bending is still painful by days end. But I happy to hear it is better than last year :)

I am closing in on the 3 month marker and still have the aches and pains. But they are so different than the pain prior to surgery. I am going to try working again on the 15th and am fortunate to have a sit/stand situation at a cubicle. Thanks for your post and take it easy in the snow and ice. I seem to have problems with that LOL.