Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Looking for ideas...winter time/walking post-op

FarmgrrlFFarmgrrl Posts: 146
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
So, I'm 12 days out from my repeat discectomy/laminectomy. I was held over in the hospital because of the weather (snow/ice) an extra 2 days. Got home on Monday. The snow finally melted off enough that I was able to get out side for a walk on Thursday to the store with the BF. Now, on Friday we started with another Nor'easter (pouring rain/wind) and I got a ride to the grocery store in the middle of it (had to get cat food). Today is Saturday and the rain has changed to snow (again). Once the snow stops the temps are going to drop and everything is supposed to turn to ice! The weather is forecast is for more rain/snow on Tuesday & Wednesday and then another storm is supposed to roll in next Friday! We're not really accustomed to this sort of weather. We might see snow once or twice a winter here and it's usually just a dusting.

So....how am I supposed to get in my walks? I live in a small 1 bedroom apartment on the 2nd floor. There is a treadmill in the exercise room of my complex but how do I get to it without breaking my neck? Not to mention, the stairs of my complex are wood so they get particularly yucky with this kind of weather. I don't want to slide backwards in my recovery and I definitely want to do all I can to prevent scar tissue overgrowth. By the time I got home from the grocery store yesterday, I was in a world of hurt (only was out for about an hour).

I'm kind of feeling like a lump on a log here. I'd like to pick your brains for some ideas! Thanks!

• I am trying to come up with something-just wanted you to know!
  • Can you rent a treadmill?
    Can you walk back and forth in a hall way on the 2nd floor?
    Can you walk back and forth in your condo? I know boring but if you had music at least you will keep entertained.

I was up against the same thing trying to figure out how to walk. I have a treadmill so am lucky. If not, I was going to walk back and forth on my driveway or in my hallway and figured at least I would know exactly how many times so I could increase as time went on.

I'll try to think more.
  • I like to go to the shopping mall nearby. It's huge, enclosed and it's nice to browse the stores and grab a snack while walking around. You may be too early out in recovery yet for this, but it's a good option later down the line. We are full of snow & ice here so I had the same problem with finding somewhere to walk.

If you do decide to try the treadmill, make sure you stand with your feet on the sides of it before you turn it on. Then when it's on a very, very, very slow setting you walk onto it.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    I have a pair of slip on, zip up snow boots. that are easy to slide into. I bought a set of ice cleats that strap to any shoe or boot. I just leave the cleats on the boots. water proof, snow proof, and ice proof! You can order them at www.cabelas.com or www.sportsmanguide.com
    I'd rather walk in the snow and ice than the rain. but Ive got rain gear too. One way or another you can get your walks in and get out of the house. Avoid cabin fever! :D
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Christine....I hear ya. We didn't get snow, but I walked to the grocery store which is just a 5 minute walk and nearly froze to death!!!! I'm in NYC. I have a treadmill which is stuck at an incline. I've had to just walk around my crazy house for 15 minute intervals. I must look looney and it does get boring but with an ipod...I can probably walk anywhere!

If you get some good ideas or figure something out, please let me know. It gets boring being at home!
  • Christine I am right with you too. I am in NE Ohio with a foot of snow. I am 7wks post-op from an L4 ALIF. I walk up and down the hallway from bedroom to kitchen to change it up I take a spin around the kitchen island. Put your ipod on and keep telling yourself "I would rather be doing this in the winter than ruining my summer!"......

good luck
  • If it was me, I wouldn't risk falling or slipping with an awkward move to catch yourself in this weather. You just had surgery so give the fusion time. It just takes one accident to regret doing it in the first place. I know it's boring but stay inside and walk around the house, back and forth from room to room. I know it's hard! It's good we have hardwood floors because I walked around my house so much I'm sure we'd have a worn a path of carpet throught the house!I live in FL but between rainy days and not being able to drive myself I was stuck inside.If you have family and friends, ask them to come visit. Visiting might help walking inside not be as tedious...ok, not true, but it does help some! I even walked back and forth while visiting then I was happy to rest as soon as they left! LOL! Good luck! The weather will get better and you'll be out and about soon! Keep busy with your new friends here until then!

• hi christine
    try those cleats they are great for icey weather..perhaps call landlord and get stairs salted and get to the exercise room..
    there are alot of online exercise ideas..not sure what your doc said you can do but..
    alot of chair exercises are good..
    you can go online check out your local library have many online free programs..
    keep moving however you can..
    do you have any family or friends that can come and take you to indoor mall great for walking..
    best of luck on your recovery hang in there
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Try marching in place. I've had a 2 level lumbar fusion and marching in place has really helped me to trim down. It also gets your heart rate up like an aerobic activity. In PT they said to not bring my knees up high, to just lift the feet a few inches off the ground. Like you I am also terrified of falling. I have had 4 falls on ice already! When it's not icey I do enjoy walking outside with my Yak Tracks on my boots(like Jim), they grip really well in the snow. But you can get the excersize you need right in your own home. Try the marching(gently), start slow and add more steps daily. Make sure it's okay with your surgeon first though. I'm no expert.

Faith M
  • It was really icey here over christmas when i was about 9 weeks post op. I still walked each day but maybe it wasn't the best idea. I was so scared of falling that I was really tense and it hurt! Also the cold doesn't help. We have dogs so we took them with us. It does seem to be even harder to get traction post op than before.
    Maybe try the marching on the spot etc as others have suggested.
  • I couldn't imagine going out in the cold post-op. it only took 1 shiver and muscle spasm, and i sprinted to the heat (a slow sprint anyway) :)
  • There are sets of indoor walking dvd's that are great. Leslie Sansone has some of the best. And right now if you have comcast cable on demand. search exercise or fitness tv, then scroll all the way down to walk for weightlosss. Her 1 and 2 mile vid is on for free right now. And sold on Amazon.com. Now I know u don't all need weight loss but its great to move with a beat and great for core strengthening. This was approved by Dr before I started it and I do it frequently. Makes me feel good!!! Hope that helps too.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    slip on snow boots, and bundle up. It's good to get out of the house! :D
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I use something called Yak Trax, I slip them on over my walking shoes. These don't have cleats but rather springs across the bottom. They work great but because I do so much walking, I wear them out. I go through 2 pairs a winter.

Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • Check with your local school district if they allow hall walking. Our school district allows community members to walk the 1st floor hall of the high school 4 nights a week 6-8pm when school is in session. If such a program doesn't already exist, it never hurts to ask. Most buildings are open in the evenings for sports/clubs and cleaning.

Good luck!
  • Like noseovertail said, I'm going to a mall tommorrow to walk, I'm in Atlanta its in the 30s to 40s, I know thats warm compared to some places, but its still cold. Why I'm going to a mall.