Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
sorry some of my questions may sound silly but this site is my only connection as i live alone and have no one, ive had severe back pain for 28 years and haveing the plif surgery march 8th,after surgery i will be comeing home, and be alone, i almost live in my recliner due to this its the only comforatable thing to set in or most nights sleep in, will it be bad to use it after surgery? as you have to push down with your legs to get it to go upright, will this be bad on my healing as it takes some force to push down with my legs. or will i need to not use it, because of the strain it may put on my back, my bedroom is upstairs 12 steps up a spiral staircase so i dont think i will get to sleep in my bedroom for quite a while, what do you think about the recliner thing?

• i too live in my recliner .i have an electrical one and a laze boy type .i have always found both to be comfy and tend to sleep in the electrical one .you should have no problem with your recliner .what i do is use memory foam pillows to get comfy .just use your judgement to get comfy //if it hurts ..don't do it! if you can get an electrical one .i would advise it as i almost never use the manual one anymore
  • Some people on the board love them, as Straker mentioned above. I was told by my surgeon and several other spine support people to NOT use a recliner as it did not provide the necessary support in the right places.

Also I think you will have to find some way to modify it as it will be very difficult for you to reposition yourself after surgery. I really doubt you could get in or out of it during the first month.

I think you should look into renting a hospital bed or getting a twin bed to put somewhere on your first floor. When recuperating, most surgeons want their patients reclining or lying down when not walking. Sitting is limited to several short periods no longer than 15 minutes at a time.

I think it would be well worth the money to rent a bed for the first floor. I hope you have a bathroom on the first floor....
  • I too have a surgeon who said it is one of the worst places to be post op. Today my recliner is a wonderfully comfortable place to be, but it took several years post op for it to become that.

I couldn't manage a bed in the living room for sleeping on, but I did manage to set up a sturdy but light weight patio lounger with a heavy duty camping mattress on top of it all decked out with sheets and a blanket. The level was subsequently high enough to get on and off it without having to step up or lean down. I could easily log roll on and off of it. Since it was all very light weight, I could easily move it around the room to change positions or get it out of the way when company came over.

Talk to your surgeon and see what his opinion is about recliners.

• I would suggest, if you do decide to give it a try, that you make sure you have someone in the house with you. I have read on here, of people who got into one and had a terrible job getting out again!

Hope your surgery goes well and that the recovery is smooth and speedy.

Take care.
  • I had the same surgery a year ago. I would definently say no to that type of recliner. You are not to twist and bend and that alone makes it hard to be in recliner. Also you will put yourself in a world of hurt trying to get in and out, and you probably wont be able to push it down.
    You need to look into either a rented hospital bed, or a loaned one. It will definently work out better for you, especially since you dont have anyone to help you. I do hope that you have help the first at least week or two coming home. From experience I know I wouldnt have made it alone. You need help with just about everything the first week or two. Then after that, the hospital bed would be a great thing as you can use rails to help yourself in and out and also get yourself in comfy position. Also look at the list of post op must haves, and me sure you get the grabbers, toilet risers, walker.
    One other thing, is if you have a laptop, a rolling tray, similar to hospital, that you can find at like walgreens, walmart for about 30 bucks are a lifesaver. I still use mine and the hospital bed as I cant lay in normal bed yet. It makes you able to lay in bed and keep in touch with the outside world, as you cant sit in a chair for longer than to eat or go to the bathroom for months. I had my little den set up with bed, wall mounted tv, bedside table with baskets, one for meds with a pen and little notepad to record when I took pain meds, as I couldnt remember. The other for remotes , lotion, and misc stuff I wanted close by.
    I am just telling you this as I was home alone after the first week. I remember it well, and dropped my grabber once and had to wait for someone to come home to get it. Got another one, to get the one I was always dropping.
    Hope this helps, I am just trying to tell you what worked well for me. Some smaller towns have VFWs and loan closets for like hospital beds and stuff you might want to check and see if any of this is available to you. Good Luck and if I can answer any questions, please PM me. Love, Robin
  • thanks everyone for the information, and suggestions i guess i will have to check on the hospital bed and put it in my liveing room which is downstairs. i just dred like crazy being here by myself. oh well gotta do what i gotta do.
  • I think you need to talk to your Dr or nurse and see if there is some type of limited care type facility that you can go to after surgery. I just dont think you will be able to take care of yourself. Sometimes insurance will pay for rehab place until Dr says you are capable of taking care of yourself. Please do some checking. At least talk to your nurse or Dr or Public Health Dept. I have been through it and know it really is almost impossible to do on your own, right after surgery.
    If you have any questions, please pM me. Love, Robin