Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF in 1 week..couple questions & anyone get nasuea afterwards?

TatiyanaTTatiyana Posts: 194
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am 1 week away from an ACDF level 6/7 and am freaking out a little..

Last year I had a lumbar fusion & had a really rough time immediately after my surgery with pain management.

It seems that because I am a small female (5'0 115lbs) the staff never seem to give me anough pain medication whan I have a surgery. I literally wake in so much pain I cannot speak and have a hard time getting the attention of the recovery room staff. Then when I do, they may give me a shot that doesnt help & they go on with their conversations while I suffer. I have had 2 major surgeries in the past 2 years, 2 seperate hospitals, but same experience.

So my question is how much pain were you in immediately post op??? (on a scale of 1-10)

The second question involves nausea and getting sick. I also always seem to vomit 2-3 days following a major surgery. I have had minor surgeries with no problem so I am not sure if it has to do with how long I am under or the trauma to my body or the morephine. I know that when I vomitted 3 days after my back fusion it was extremely painful and I am scared to death of vomiting after neck surgery....
Did any of you get nauseated or actually vomit after your surgery?

Any feedback is much appreciated :)

• The pain after my ADCF was amazing low - maybe a 3 or 4. I had a dilaudid pump, though, but that medicine doesn't seem to effect me much. The most pain I had was after I was home and after a few weeks had pain in the back of my neck of course the ever-present muscle spasms.

I would talk to your surgeon before your surgery about pain management. Whatever they put in your charts the nurses should go by. I did this with my latest surgery - I old my surgeon that the dilaudid pump I had after my ACDF was horrible and could he do something else. He changed the order on my chart for my to have a morphine pump instead of the dilauded. Maybe your surgeon can make some notes for the nurses to go by.

My aesthesiologist called me the night before my surgery (althought I missed the call). When I met her before I went in for surgery, I told her how I was concerned about nausea, and she added a little more antinausea stuff to my anesthesia and gave me an antinausea patch to wear for the next four days or so after surgery. I assumed it helped because I was never nauseaus.

Good luck and let us know how your conversations go if you talk with your surgeon and anesthesiologist.

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    Following my june cervical surgery I threw up for 2 days after I came home. I had to call the surgeon who prescribed meds so it would stop. I suggest you request the same. If you think throwing up was hard when you had back surgery(not saying that it is not) but cervical was HORRIBLE. I am facing another surgery and you can bet I will be bringing home a script from the hospital this time to prevent it from happening again
  • what did they give you to make it stop? And did they say what they thought caused it?

I know some believe it is they anesthesia but I'm not so sure, unless it has to do with how long you are under (or maybe the type they use..)

infact I may call to find out what kind they used for my last 2 surgeries..
  • hi!!! :D all the best on your upcoming surgery. i just had my gallbladder out and had severe pain problems because of my use of pain medications. one thing i learned is that the anesthesia can cause nausea and cause us to vomit several days after the procedure. there are medications that can be given iv to help with both situations.. stress can also cause nausea and vomiting... medication can help here as well. please talk to your doctor before your surgery and talk over your fears. :-C don't wait till the surgery and happens and you are incapacitated. he can much better help you if you discuss it beforehand.. i know i was saved from alot of distress because i talked to my doctor about my use of pain medication and their possible interference in the surgery. good luck! Jenny :)
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I think it was because of anesthesia,,,not sure just a guess. I was on phenogren. It worked real well for me and has a side effect that helps on the first few days home. It helps you sleep. Matter of fact this is what they gave me at the hospital to help me sleep so I think that is why I didnt get sick until I got home. I would just ask for a script from my doctor if I were you. Better to be safe then sorry, just explain your past experiences with being sick following surgery and I am sure they will have no problem prescribing something. Make sure you inform you doctor that this happens even after you are at home. Good luck with your surgery and keep us all posted
  • I saw my primary today for a pre op physical and he wrote me a script for Zolfran. He said it is one of the strongest out there and since I would more than likely be home before the nausea starts it would be wise to have it ready. He thought another reason I get sick after major surgeries but not minor ones is due to the poor pain management I have experienced.

Hopefully this will do the trick. I am more afraid of vomiting post op than I am the surgery!
  • I also had nausea on day 2 and 3 after my neck surgery. My surgeon and the recovery nurses said that they did not want me to throw up-- so to call immediately if I felt like I might. So, I called and they paged the doc so he could call in my prescription. He had me take Zofran -- it melts on your tongue and warns not to take with water or you may suffer a headache. It has a slight minty taste. I thought I would be given phenergren because that is what they told me they might send home with me. It was effective for me.
    I do know what you mean about being our size and not having enough pain meds. I think they are doing the right thing because we don't want too much. But, I think my body processes most medicines very quickly. It always happens in a dentist's office-- they have to give me extra shots before most procedures are completed!
    I wish you the very best! Mine went better than I expected last week and I am feeling great today!
  • Yes good zofran is the best for nausea. I also would talk to the Anastesiologist about the concern of nausea. I was nervous for my surgery as I was sick the morning of and after the same surgery though it was nose surgery, he gave me meds to make me feel better and I felt at peace speaking with him he was so nice. I hope all goes well with your surgery and recovery. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN