Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

home from TLIF L5-S1 on 2/2

Gretchen1GGretchen1 Posts: 105
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey guys,
My TLIF w/instrumentation and decompression at L5-S1 went off as scheduled on the 2nd. I had a few rough patches at the hospital but was lucky enough to have gotten to go home on Friday. I think mainly because of the weather that was scheduled (and did) happen in my area. So far things have been pretty good, although I have had my momements, and still do. I was totaly prepared for horrible pain but for me the worse pain has been gas pain. I think once I can get that relieved, it will be a much happier day.

I want to thank everyone on this board again for being able to read their experiences, the good and the bad, and all the helpful tips for before and after surgery,

• Gretchen and on the mend. I hope you heal completely and if you're able to walk and move around a little hopefully the other problem takes care of itself. Take care and don't overdo it especially if you're outside walking in the snow. I hope you have a treadmill or a big house to move around in. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • welcome home!Take one day at a time,and get alot of rest!
  • Welcome home. Sounds like things went per plan which is always a relief!

I agree, one day at a time...and don't worry about the rough patches...they are to be expected.

Get some rest!
  • Welcome to the "other side" glad you are on the mend, hopefully the gas will pass :rollinglaugh: soon, seriously though I know how painful that can be, moving, though difficult often helps. Keep us updated as to your progress, vent if necessary, and know that we are here for you through the good the bad and the uglu :)
    God bless and keep you...steady on the mend,
  • I did page the on call nurse yesterday around 3:30 abou the gas and other issues along that line. After waiting 24 hours with no response, I called the doctors office this afternoon and was told to increase the dosage of the senna and try the magnesium citrate. Hoping that does the trick.

Am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on comfortable positions. I am unable to get at all comfortable in bed and have been usuing my recliner part-time and computer/desk check part-time with the rest of the time spent doing laps around my bed three bedrooms when upstairs or laps between the living room/dining room when downstairs.

PT was unable to see me today because of the weather here, I'm in Baltimore. They are scheduled to be here on Wednesday but we are due for more snow Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. I don't wan't to fall behind because of this weather.
  • you might want to check with your Dr as far as sitting. I was told only to sit to eat and the restroom. Rest of time must either be walking or laying. I dont know what to tell you as far as comfortable positions. I would just try propping up with pillows and some under knees. On your side a pillow between your knees is always a good idea. Be careful about twisting and bending in the recliner. I couldnt use mine as I had to twist to get the handle to raise and lower it.
    Just trying to help you avoid any problems. Sounds like you are doing well. Keep your chin up, it will keep getting better for you. Love, Robin