Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

So, I Adopted a Dog........

lisa burekllisa burek Posts: 855
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:41 AM in Good News
Hi All,

Several months ago I had to euthanize our Basenji. Since then my 5 year old mentions at least 10 times a week how much she misses Ruby, (we all do).

So.....my dear friend rescued a 4 year old beagle recently and I fell in love with her. Started looking at 11th hour Rescue to see the dogs up for adoption.

Well, after much discussion with hubby, we loaded the girls in the van, didn't tell them where we were going, because we were just going to "look".

Instead, we all fell in love with "SHY". He is and English/Red Tick coonhound, medium sized and a big lovey mush.

Its obvious he did not have a nice life before, but he is phenomenal: say "no" once and he obeys, he just wants to be loved. He is great on leash walks and loves romping in our large fenced yard. Its like he can't believe that he has a home with people to love him.

Just thought some happy news is always good to report! Right now he is so pooped from all of his playing that he's snoozing in his cozy bed. it does my heart good to know we saved him from a "kill shelter".
advertisement

Comments

• That's great! I know Ruby's happy to see smiles on the kids faces again. Can you put him on your avatar? Or show a pic of him? Pets are so wonderful to have. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • He sounds very cute, my girls want a dog also, but hubby says not until they learn how to care for the animals they have.
    Can you take some picks I'd love to see him.
  • Hi Lisa,

So happy for you and your family. My neighbor just lost her dog, Honey, a few months back and she just adopted a box/pit mix from the pound. Her name is Bella and she is a sweetheart also.

Would love to see some pictures of Shy -- post if you can!

Enjoy your new addition to the family and hope you are doing well.

Judy
  • That is awesome! I would much rather rescue a dog than purchase one. Of the few dogs I have owned, the rescued ones always seem to have a better temperment, almost like they know you saved them! Enjoy your new family member!
  • Thanks for your good wishes. Unfo,rtunately, I am still a total spaz about this "new" technology of digitals, avatars, phone cameras, etc.

I promise that I will be learning soon, don't want to be left in the dust.....I never make New Year resolutions, but if I did, that would be it! Hubby said he will help me.
  • what happy news for your family. =D> a new family is made!! :D i wish you all the wonderful memories of your other four legged friend and hope your new one,Shy, will make wonderful, new memories for you. i have a boxer/pit mix and i just love her to pieces!!! :X i know you will feel the same way in no time!!! Jenny :)
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    How wonderful for you and your family. Although a new pet will never replace the ones we lost they sure can help with the feeling of a empty house and bring years of enjoyment to you and your family. I lost my dog during the pet food issue with the food being poisened and I swore I would never get another dog but within a few months I did and I am so glad I did. The dog I have has brought me so much love and joy I couldnt imagine my life without him. Isnt it funny how animmals become so much a part of your family and how they manage to just steal your heart. May your pet bring you and your family years and years of love and enjoyment!
    Susan
  • I am happy for you and kids. I love dogs i have 6 of my own

Jim
  • I love hearing stories of people who adopt dogs out of the shelters. I adopted a full breed collie(lassie) as my current dog. She was 2 when I got her and was told she had behavioral issues, which I have yet to see. I have since turned her into a therapy dog she was a natural. She is on the mend currently from major surgery to have her gall bladder removed and not working, and bored to tears. She was having some kidney issues awhile back so a ultra sound was done and a small bullet was discovered in her, so that explains why she never wants outside by herself. So someone else's loss has now become my gain with her and I hope you all experience the same joy I get daily with mine. I am sure your girls are just as happy as can be, nothing better than new editions.
  • and everyone else with your well wishes.

I love the idea of a therapy dog, such a terrific way to spread the love, do well for others. I'm going to keep it in mind after I get him healthy: he needs more worm treatments, gain some weight, and in a few days when he is feeling more secure I will get him bathed/groomed.

Thanks All.....Lisa
  • I just now got around to reading your post. Congratulations on getting your new baby.

My hubby and I adopted a blue tick coonhound, Maggie, about 8 years ago (we've lost her since), but she was the biggest cutie I've ever known. She was so neglected when we got her that she didn't even know what petting was and she'd never seen a toy. You should've seen her jump the first time she squeeked her toy. It was priceless.

Just two more Maggie stories: After we got her, we realized that because she was left outside all the time before we got her, she wasn't potty trained so she just went wherever she was, whether we were there or not. It was easy to train her during the day, but were stumped at night. So hubby got the bright idea to get the washable doggie diapers for her to wear at night. So,we called them her bloomers and before bed, we'd call her over, "Maggie, it's time to put on your bloomers." She'd come running over standing so proud, tail straight up while we put on her bloomers. She loved her bloomers so much and felt like a princess when we put them on her each night. Well, she stopped going potty in her bloomers, but she still loved them so much that we let her wear them until one night a couple of months later we called her over, "Maggie, it's time to put on your bloomers," and she jumped up on the couch and just looked at us. She was done and never wore them again.

Last story - you know how coonhounds bay - whew, what a noise. Anyway, not long after we got her, she and Merc, our little English Setter, were playing out in the yard chasing each other really fast and she immediately stopped and lifted her front leg and started crying. We were afraid she'd broken her leg (you now how narrow they are). Well, hubby (her favorite person in the world) immediately ran over to her, picked her up, took her inside and put her on the couch. I was petting Merc because he was upset and hubby was looking over Maggies leg, cooing her, talking to her and petting and kissing her when all of a sudden she jumped up on all four legs and started baying as loud as she could. Turns out, she hadn't hurt her leg at all and was just so excited that her daddy took such good cae of her. She learned that day that if she were hurt, her daddy would take care of her and she had nothing to worry about. That happened again about two weeks later and never happened again after that. We'll never know, but we think she faked the second one just to double check that daddy would always be there.

Aren't they just the darndest things?

Congrats on your new baby. I'm sorry, coonhounds are just the cutest things and I thought you might enjoy it if I shared a couple of stories.

Cath
  • Lisa-I am so happy for you!!!!!!We have always had stray/rescue dogs-our recent one(well,we have had him 8 years) is an Rhodesian Ridgeback-he is our baby boy!And nothing can replace the unconditional love from a beloved pet-hugs and kisses,Jeannie
  • Adopting Shy has been such a great experience we are now looking into fostering. Sometimes I question my sanity about this, but since we got Shy our whole world has changed. If fostering goes well, we'll probably end up adopting one.
  • That is wonderful that you rescued your pet!! =D> They make lovely pets coz they know. They just know that you saved them and thank you every day of their lives.
    My baby is a rescue dog and the most wonderful little thing. She adores me and I adore her. She is right at my feet all the time, never leaves my side. She was rescued from one of those horried "puppy mills". You know what awful places they are.
    Your new family member sounds just lovely and will bring you and your family much joy.
    Cheers :H
    Patsy W
  • Wow, I'm totally smiling the bigggest smile!
    Thank you for adopting and saving a life...and an adult life too! I volunteer at a local shelter (have been restricted the last 5 months so can't help) and another local rescue where we got my pup (ok, so she was 2 when we got her) and then another rescue.

There are so many amazing dogs in shelters and rescues. You have to meet them to find a good match for your family but for the most part...dogs just want consistent rules like children, they want to know they are safe and secure and can count on you...and they give back 10-fold!

And a hound....YUM! He sounds so sweet! Congrats on your newest family member.

Hubby says once I'm doing better, he's up for taking on another foster. We had one last year and our girl (pit/dobie mix) loved her...she was a boxer/pittie/mtn cur? mix. I loved fostering...very hard to do but so rewarding.
  • Tommorow night the family is going to go the shelter (they got a new "shipment" of doggies needing homes). Hopefully we will meet one that will be a good match for Shy, and if the fostering goes well, we might adopt the dog, or keep fostering, who knows?
  • So we found a foster dog to bring home. His name is Thomas (Tommy Boy). He is a big, beautiful blue tick coonhound. So gentle and lovable. Thats all he wants is love. He stands there waiting for hugs and kisses, and returns the favor. He's getting along fine with my adopted coonhound also. I hope he finds his forever home soon because we are getting so attached, but he is too big and strong for me to handle on a leash, I am afraid I would hurt my back. Thankfully both dogs are happy to just run aroung my big fenced in yard.
  • Lisa...this is excellent.
    I know it's hard to give up fosters but the best thing about fostering is you make the pup more 'desirable' to potential adopters who want to know what the dog is like in a home. Being in your home you can say that this available pup gets long with kids, other dogs, etc.

It's tough to give them up and there's no shame in being a failed foster....BUT if you can stay strong and let him go, you'll have room to save another soul in need of help.

Either way...I'm so excited for you.

Here's a poem for my foster (author listed below)

I am the bridge Between what was and what can be.
    I am the pathway to a new life.
    I am made of mush, because my heart melted when I saw you,
    matted and sore, limping, depressed, lonely, unwanted, afraid to love.
    For one little time you are mine. I will feed you with my own hand I will love you
    with my whole heart I will make you whole.
    I am made of steel. Because when the time comes, when you are well, and sleek,
    when your eyes shine, And your tail wags with joy Then comes the hard part.
    I will let you go--not without a tear, But without a regret. For you are safe forever-- A new dog needs me now.

- Diane Morgan
  • What a nice post. Fostering is tough on the emotions, but if Thomas finds his forever home it will be worth it.
  • Lisa,
    I'm so happy for you and your family. Animals are the greatest thing.
    I have a 2 yeare old purebred German Shepherd Dog and a 1 year old Shepherd/Akita mix that we rescued who was in foster care when we got him at 3 and1/2 months old. I should really say that Samantha my GSD adopted him. We had gone to an adoption day to just look since we thought Samantha could use a companion. She ignored all the other dogs and went right up to his cage. I had walked right passed him as I read online about him that he was very shy, would grow to be big, shed a lot and had major housebreaking issues. Well we took him out of the cage and the two were bonded from that point on. He is my mush and is exceedingly calm and laid back for his breed. He is a real overall couch potato while my girl is the athlete and always full of energy. He has never even caught a ball, or frisbee. He likes some quiet play at times and to run and wrestle with his sister in our yard. He just wants to be hugged and cuddled most of the time. We know he must have been abused as a young pup due to various reactions he has had and he continues to have terrible nightmares though they are getting less over time. My cat died Dec 2008 and I still miss her terribly. I had her for 13 years. She would always cuddle with me and hug me with her arms around my neck and kiss me. She was the sweetest thing but she was a one person cat. My husband is allergic to cats but we desensitized him to her. Would have gotten more cats after her but too risky with his allergies and asthma. I love my fuzzy kids. However with all the limited energy and pain and difficulties with mobility I'm afraid that Samantha is not getting enough exercise. When we first got her I wasn;t as bad and was able to take her on long walks every day and to accompany her to dog park so she could run and play with the other dogs for a couple of hours. I can no longer do either. Doggie daycare at times but very expensive. She does come home very tired and happy.
    Anyone else have this problem, and how do you give your energetic dogs what they need with various physical issues?
    Thanks,
    Rena
  • Hi Everyone,

We found Thomas his forever home, then turned around and fostered a redbone coonhound. She was with us for just a week and was adopted yesterday. What a sweetheart she was, Shy misses her, they really liked each other.
  • Nice job!
    I can't wait to foster again.
    Hubby has been doing so much around the house that I can't ask him to take on another dog right now. Trying to keep a little of his time free so he can fish.

IF we had a fenced in yard, it would be a non-issue b/c I could let them run until he got home to walk them.

I loved fostering.
advertisement