Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello, new here...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi all,
Found this site while trying to look up what exactly sciatica feels like. Always thought it was either just a shooting sensation or just numbness and tingling in the feet. I have neither. But this latest round of burning sensation in the back of my thigh and right cheek have been driving me crazy. Lo' and behold, I have probably having sciatica for the last 10 years, on and off. Coincides with 10 years of back pain. Feel pretty stupid. MRI shows it pushing into the nerve, which I thought was weird since I thought I had never felt nerve pain in my leg. Adding to my confusion is that I do have nerve problems in my right hand. Indescribable cold, tinglies, and so weak in the morning that I cannot even turn on a light switch. Guess I thought that was what nerve pain was supposed to feel like.

Just moved to a new location, waiting on my 1st appointment with my new ortho doctor. Will try to be optimistic.

Looking forward to making friends here. People that won't tell me to quit complaining and just have surgery, because that would fix everything. ugh!

Still have to figure out exactly what is wrong. Is the pain being caused from arthritis, sacroiliitis, the herniated disc??? Every doc seems to say one of those things.

What I do have (have had in past 10 years), in case you want to know :), is L4-L5 herniated disc, sacroiliitis in both hips, and inflammation along spine. Had nuclear imaging done of my spine, forget the wording to describe the inflammation.

Not looking forward to trying to get to sleep tonight, this burning seems to never want to go away.

• This site has been a great place of support for me. I haven't had surgery but know the L5-S1 herniation pain. There are medications or injections that can help with the pain also. Lots of info and support here. Take care and keep us posted what the Ortho Dr. says. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Welcome to Spine-Health. This is a great site for information, including articles and videos. The forum members are knowledgeable, kind and supportive. I think you'll like it here.

I'm sorry you've been having the issues that you've described. But please, quit complaining and have surgery. JUST KIDDING - I simply couldn't resist. :-)

There are so many nerve issues that can happen with spine problems that it can get very confusing. For instance, I had lower back pain, hip pain, and pain going down the back of both legs to my knees. Sounds like a herniated disc, doesn't it? Nope. I had stenosis and facet joint hypertrophy (swelling) and none of my symptoms had anything to do with my disc.

I'm glad you're going to see a doctor. I always like to suggest that someone trying to find out what's wrong with their spine try to find a fellowship-trained spine surgeon (can be ortho or neuro), but someone who only works on spines. They seem to have a passion for it and dig deep to find where the pain is coming from and how to get it fixed.

I've found, as well as so many others, that trying to self-diagnose on the internet just makes us confused and scared and more than half the time the doctor will tell you something you never saw in your research.

I'm wishing you the best and please keep us updated. It's kind of a no-no to post links on the forums, but I'm going to post a link to a dermatome map. These maps are very cool and I think you'll find it interesting. It doesn't tell you everything you'd like to know, but it gives a roadmap to generally what nerve pain is coming from where.

Good luck, Shauna, and please keep us posted.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. glad you stopped by... so sorry you are suffering so much. ~X( i have some of the same problems and there are some good medications your doctor might reccomend for you... :D i also do walking and stretching to help... i hope you are given a pain plan to help with some of your problems and you are feeling better soon. :D Jenny :)