Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spoke to PT and Surgeon about urinary problems

mommatialuvmmommatialuv Posts: 269
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I spoke to my PT, she told me to call my doc. The PA said she talked to the doc and they decided that since i have had similar issues (minor leakage) before 1st surgery, if it didn't clear up in a couple of days they would refer me to a urologist.
I also told her about my upper back and chest pains that sent me to the ER a week or so ago,(feels like someone is wrapping a band around my body under my arms, heart and lungs were thoroughly checked and cleared told to get on prilosec OTC, also had burning sensation in chest and throat,done took care of burning) but still continue to have pain. She said when they do the next CT myelogram they will order the thoracic area done also. Scheduled to see the surgeon on 3/10. feeling generally yucky, go for follow up labs on 2/22(may schedule apt same day) for PCP and visit with hematologist on 2/29.
Tired now going to take a nappie :)
God bless and keep You,

• ok-I am glad you are pursuing this-even if the bladder thing isn't related to your back situation,it can still cause added misery. About 9 months after my first fusion I had a hysterectomy-best thing I ever did.I am not advocating that-just that I am glad you are checking out everything!Love,Jeannie
  • I already had a hysterectomy on 06 also what my urologist called a "bladder sling" done in 02. I may just call him myself. I am so confused at this point, I dont know whats causing what. :confused:" alt=":confused:" height="20" />. I'm sure I am just falling apart.. one piece at a time :silly:
    Thanks for your caring :angel: ,
    God bless and keep You,
  • I hope all works out and your Urologist could help you. I recently had the same thing happen to me on the way to the Dr. She told me to practice the squeezing pelvic floor muscle excercise to see if it will help. After the Epidurals(caudal) I had the same problem. I'm sure it was overdoing it in PT I hope your tests come back okay. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I am familiar with the kegal??(i think thats what it is called) exercise from previous surgeries. I think I will call my urologist in the morning and see if I can get in this or next week. It couldn't hurt at this point.
    Thanks again for the support, you are very kind,
    God bless and keep You,
  • Howdy Shirley,

Sorry to hear you are having all these additional things happening to you. You are a strong woman, and the felling of "falling apart", heh, been there, done that, wore the shirt! I know that might be what you're feeling, but try and push past it to know this will eventually work out for you.

On the plus side? You are not just sitting around "hoping" things will get better, you are being very very pro-active in your situation - another sign of a strong person! :-) I hope you get good news soon. *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I'm glad you went in and got everything checked out.Even more happy everything is o.k. Sweet dreams.
    Jim I)
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I had some problems with a weak bladder happening during my last few years of back pain. My gyn gave me a precription for something to help me with it. It did work. I cant remember the name of it. They advestise something on TV, maybe you can google it and find out what it is. I am sorry, havnt used it for a while or I would tell you what it is. Good Luck, Love, Robin
  • I'm glad to know that you got everything checked out and it doesn't seem too serious. Hopefully it will be a one-time thing.
  • You are sweet, I am trying to "be strong" I am just the type of person that has to know what is going on, have always been, most folks call that nosey :rollinglaugh: but I guess when its about yourself its OK :D I will make myself crazy just sitting around wondering and or worrying. :frustrated: This computer is great in a lot of ways, but sometimes I thing it gives us/I know me, information overload. :hypnotize: My daughter says I over research everything, she is probably right. Before computers "came home" I was always in the encylopedia or library trying to get information about... whatever I could think of that day. I must have had over active brain syndrome back then :lol:" alt=":lol:" height="20" /> now things I dont want to be over active are and things I want to move faster or better dont. :shocked: I guess thats just the way it is as we...glide gracefully through the aging process... ;)
    God bless and keep You,
  • I remember it was called Vesicare. Just for your info. Love, Robin
  • You guys are the best :applause: Thank you seems insufficient for all the support and kindness I get here. So i'm having a party for you all :party: :party: :party: :party: Thanks for coming, I hope you had fun. :lol:" alt=":lol:" height="20" />
    God bless and keep You all ... partying :party:
  • Be sure to get into see your urologist as soon as possible. Doctors may take this whole possible cauda equina problem casually, but people who developed it tell you the faster it is caught, the better off the chances are for recovery.

Yes, it is probably just some problem the urologist can help you with...but it is very important to find out for sure. Since you are a big researcher, I am sending a link for your to read...but NOT to worry about...any of us with lumbar problems need to be familiar with all the symptoms for cauda equina syndrome. Most doctors will just tell the patient to "give it time...." Bad advice if something is really wrong!!

(This is one time you'll never hear me say: " You're still early in recovery..." ;) )

• thanks for coming to my party :party: :party:
    I know this could turn into something very serious, I'm afraid my surgeon is not wanting to face the fact that I may be his first FBSS,:nailbite: so he is sending me to others for possible answers :think: I understand, and will see the urologist asap, I hope he does find "something else"... we will see. I know 5 1/2 months is still fairly early especially with a second surgery in Dec, but the reality is I am not improving at all, in fact I am getting more leg pain as well as higher and lower back pain
    Fact is... i'm really scared, thats all I'm going to say about that... :)
    Thanks for the care and concern, we should party more often
    :party: :party: :party:
    God bless and keep You,
  • I'm just so sorry you're going through all this, and that the surgeon doesn't seem to have a feel for what might be going on. I always wish I could see inside my doctor's head, because obviously he knows a great deal more than what he's saying...and I'm sure the same is true for you and your doc.

Don't give up. Keep pushing for answers. That's all we can do till we hit a brick wall...then we bounce off and try in a different direction until we find answers!!

• I have given anesthesia for bladder slings and revisions of bladder slings. I have had one as well, and if I were having any incontinence, I would call the doctor that placed the bladder sling to rule out any issues with the sling first. To me, it is important to make sure that the mesh is intact, because it can erode the skin or have other issues.

Hope this helps!!