I am still trying to diagnose the cause of my pain back and leg pain. I went to another spine surgeon today, a scoliosis specialist since I have a mild scoliosis, and he is convinced that the cause of my pain is from my L5/S1 facet joint. He gave me four progressive treatment options:
1. Continue taking anti-inflammatories and stretching, which I have been doing for almost a year now. I am only on a low dose anti-inflammatory / tylenol regimen though.
2. Get another facet joint block injection ... I have already had one of these about 5 months ago and did not provide relief
3. Get a facet rhizotomy.
4. Fusion surgery ... boy would I really like to avoid this if I can.
Here are my questions:
1. I have a spot on my lower right back that can be tender to the touch if you rub it a certain way. Is that common for a facet joint problem?
2. My pain can radiate into my buttocks, hip and leg. But it can radiate into my lower leg (calf and shin). I heard that was not common for facet problems. Has anyone had a facet issue resolved where there was pain below the knee?
3. Has anyone ever had an unsuccessful first facet joint block fail, only to have a second one work? Or have the facet block fail to have the rhizotomy work?