Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Saw NS and got mri results (need advice)

sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Had a new mri a couple of weeks ago and got the results from NS today. He said that the herniated disc at C6-7 isn't as bad as it was last year (yay) but the spurs at C4-5 are causing my symptoms. They said for me have ESI's before surgery. His assistant said even if it doesn't help it will be a great diagnostic tool to show if surgery on that level will help? Anyone else been told this? I have a lot of questions about the ESI's. I told him that I'm afraid of the injections since the myelogram caused me so much trouble with my lower back and still does. He says they don't use as much contrast dye? Also my GP gave me steroid injections for something a few years ago and I turned red as a beet and felt like I was on fire. Is this kind of steroid the same? I think it was because of the wellbutrin I'm on. Has anyone else had this happen? I also had toradol injections last spring that caused me terrible stomach pain because I have ulcers. Would/could these injections do the same? Sorry for so many questions but I'll probably have many more while trying to decide whether or not to have these injections that they say insurance requires before surgery. Thank you all so much for any advice or opinions. I appreciate all of you very much.

• Make sure you let your Dr. know you had a reaction to oral steriods before so he can monitor you if you need to get ESIs. Toradol is a anti-inflammatory which can cause ulcers and you should say that you have an allergy reaction to it so you won't get any more. It's understandable you should be cautious and write down the questions just like you did here for your Surgeon. I hope your Dr. can help you with this. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Thanks Charry. I will definitely discuss it with the PM Dr. I'd rather find out before they give it to me than after! I have terrible stomach pain that feels like I'm having a heart attack at times. I didn't know that an injection could cause stomach pain but the toradol injections did.
    I hope you're having a good day. Thanks again.

• I am a lumbar, not a neckie, but in my case, my surgeon did selective nerve root injection at particular levels to see if my pain was relieved. No steroid was used, just the numbing agent(and HAS to be preservative free) and if your pain immediately goes away, he knew that level was compressed. Pain relief only lasts about 45 minutes, tho.

I don't know how long ago you had your myelogram, but I believe all dyes now have to be water and not oil based to reduce the risk of arachnoiditis.

If the Toradol was oral, I can see it irritating your stomach. But if it was an injection, wouldn't it bypass your stomach? My point is not to argue that your ulcers flared up, but that maybe it wasn't the Toradol????

Anyway, I've had injections in my lumbar spine to determine what levels needed surgery, so I've been told that, too.(I think that was your original question! :) )
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    From my experiences with ESI (all parts of my spine), the diagnostic piece of it, would be if I had good results from it and that it helped reduce the pain and discomfort.

So, effectively, if the ESI helped, then the doctors knew that was a valid action plan.

If the ESI's failed or did not help, then that provided the doctors with additional information in terms if surgery would be required.

As you know, continue every conservative treatment that you can before having surgery again

Good luck, please take care (and dont do any snow shoveling)
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
    Thanks for the info. The toradol was an injection that's why I didn't think it could cause stomach pain either but it definitely did. All three times. It only hurt the same day as each injection then it was fine if I remember right. I guess strange things happen...at least to me. The myelogram was last Jan. and the dye was water based. It makes no sense even to me but the pain is there to prove it. (At least to me anyway. lol)
    Thanks again. Hope you're doing great today.
    Shovelling snow! Yep, I did a little of that earlier. It's still snowing too.
    I haven't heard from the PM office yet. I'm hoping that the injections will actually help. Wouldn't that be great? Did you ever have any that lasted a long time?
    Hope you're having a great day Ron. How are you feeling? Are you getting snow today?