Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Low back popping?

TiffanyTerrorTTiffanyTerror Posts: 44
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi everyone,

Lately (the last few days/week) my back has been popping. Ive only just started noticing it, and it is quite strange. I used to have bad back spasms though the whole day, and got that greatly reduced through PT. I was doing better for a few months...only having the horrible pain after walking too much, bending, lifting, etc. The last 3 or 4 months though I have been woken in the middle of the night with my low back on fire. Literally just searing pain. Completely different than what I used to have. I found it was generally when I had rolled to my stomach. It was so bad that it would take me 10 minutes to be able to move my legs and roll over. Then the burning would happen even if I was not on my stomach, and now it happens some days during the day for no apparent reason.

Well the last few days I have noticed that when I get up from sitting (in a chair) after I take a step or two I feel a popping in my low back and can feel my spine "drop" if that makes sense? I take a few more steps and it happens twice. Its very strange feeling, I can't quite explain it.

I was wondering if anyone else has had/is having this? With or without the burning?

• Have you had flexion/extension X-rays? It is possible that you have a spondylolisthesis, which is a slippage of one vertebrae over the adjoining vertebrae. It could account for some of the nerve compression. Were you ever a gymnast or diver? Spondy is a common result of those activities where bending backward is a part of the sport.

When you sleep on your stomach, it shortens up the space between the discs and can result in nerve compression. Burning indicates nerve pain. This comes from either the nerve being compressed or it can happen when there is a chemical reaction when a disc bulges or herniates.

It may be that something in your back is getting a little worse and is causing more pain....
  • My dad is having spondylolisthesis and he sometime feels very heavy pain there and it gets very painful to deal. It is better to consult with a right doctor and also you can try a belt that will help you to deal with the pain.

• I have that dropping feeling and popping but grinding noise actually feels like something is shifting? I had flex/extension x-rays and haven't heard back from my Dr. so will find out next week though but think the x-rays were normal. I do have DDD though and think that's the feeling for me. I had facet joint problems before. I have pain in my back all the time burning sometimes but mainly stabbing pain. It takes me about an hour to get out of bed sometimes less. I hope you have less pain soon. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I have the same popping/grinding sensation in my lower back. I have been diagnosed with grade 1 spondylolisthesis as well as a severe pars 5 defect (two breaks in my L5). My pain doc has told me that the popping/grinding is most likely from the shifting of my L5. Xray images and CT scans can show you if you have that slip.
This discussion has been closed.