Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My 2 1/2 month update!

DIFerrisDDIFerris Posts: 86
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,

Sorry I have not been on much lately. But I wanted to pop on and give an update on my recovery.

I am still doing really well, with the exception of pain if I sit too long. I still have back pain (sometimes severe) if I do too much. I am amazed at how little it takes to "overdo" it.

I had a doctor's appointment last week for SSDI (their doc) and the xrays they took look promising. My untrained eye saw at least some bone growth. I had not seen any xrays since my 6 week check up with my OS. Those were disappointing as I saw no bone growth at that time.

I have to admit that I have been a little depressed lately. I was feeling so good and progressing really well as far as pain goes. I had stopped taking Dilaudid, only taking a Nucynta when I really need it, using a lidocaine patch and taking Neurontin. Now it seems to take less and less to fatigue me and cause a new pain in my back that appears to be above L4 and slightly left of center. I am praying that L3 is not blowing out so soon. I know I have read that it is not a matter of if but when the disc above the surgery blows out.

Hopefully this is just stress pain and nothing permanent. It is not constant, so I can hope.

I hope everyone is doing as well as possible. I have not been keeping up, and I apologize.

Take care,

• It is good to hear that mostly your doing well. You see bone growth????? That gives me hope. I had an ACDF 2 levels about a week after your fusion surgery. I go next week for my 3 month check. I'm hoping to hear that I'm beginning to fuse!

Its crazy isn't it how on the outside we look so well and mostly on the inside feel it and all it takes is doing one thing for too long (like looking down at my laptop for me or sitting for you) to be reminded of the pain? I started to clean my house this morning because this is my first week without a daily dose of Vicoden...my head is clear but my body said NO NO NO. Oh well.

I'm glad to hear that you see bone growth....gosh, I wanna hear the same thing. At the same time...I hear your concern about the new pain showing up since you've lowered your meds. I have the same issue....I've been getting lower back pain (already have 2 herniated disks there) but what concerns me most is the ache that I feel from the base of my skull to the base of my neck. I'll be asking the dr. on Thursday and I'll post here. Maybe our aches have similar causes.

Stay well!!!! Doesn't it feel good to have all the energy back? To be less groggy and have less pain????? YAY!

• That is great news that you are fusing. 2 1/2 months
    is still early in the recovery process, there will be some bad days, its just part of the process.

I also know that when I am feeling good I overdo things, then pay for it later. I think I need a little angel on my shoulder to constantly say "remember your back".

For many of us the weather plays a big role in how we feel. I live in the Notheast and this winter has been brutally cold and my back tells me this all the time.

Winter plus recovery definitely have made me depressed. I can't wait until spring, my depression decreases a lot.

Take care, Lisa
  • Yvonne - Yes, it feels wonderful to be clear headed, and actually remember things again!! But with that comes the stupid notion that I can do more... wrong!

I hope the new pain is just a passing thing.

I hope your checkup shows great things! It is a slow process. That took a while to accept, but I think I did somewhere along the line. I try not to look back and think about all the time that has passed. I live in the moment and deal with each day when I get up in the morning :)

Lisa - I agree with you on the weather. I am from California (ahhh, warm weather), but I live in New York (have been here for almost 5 years now), and as we just had a nasty storm, I can attest to the weather being somewhat depressing. All we can say is it is almost over and Spring will be here soon!!

Thank you both for your encouraging words! I hope you are both doing well (as well as we can be at our various stages in our journeys).

• I'm glad to hear you are able to reduce your meds.That must make a huge difference. The depression can get really bad, here in the DFW area of TX the weather has been unusually cold and wet, in fact we just broke the record for snow fall in a 24 hour period. I have to say it is beautiful,(itook pics from the doorway) but there is no way I am going to attempt to walk on/in it with my walker, wouldn't that be cute walker tracks in 10-12 inches of snow :) :rollinglaugh:
    I have a question about your SSDI. First how did it go, have they given you any indication as to weather or not you will be approved? What lingering issues do you have that they are looking at?
    As soon as i went from STD to LTD, at 3 months, my LTD insurance carrier "handed" information to a law firm that works on SSDI approvals, with my consent of course.
    I have filled out what seems like stacks of paperwork, listing all of my ailments and doctors, and am waiting to see what happens next. I was told that many if not most people are denied on their first attempt.
    When did you first apply for SSDI? how long did you have to wait for them to send you to one of their doctors?
    Sorry for all of the questions but you are the only spiney I know going through the process. Please feel free to PM me with information.
    If anyone else has gone through or is going through the process, please feel free to respond as well.
    God bless and keep You,