Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

There's constipation, and then

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:41 AM in Chronic Pain
there is blockage from being constipated and not taking care of it in time.
Under my normal meds. (opiates that cause constipation) I liked to take care of the problem more naturally. With diet. I have activia,Dan Active,fruit and a bran cereal. With 2 additional servings of some kind of fresh fruit daily. And in mot cases that works fine.
But after my surgery, the Dr. prescribed me Docusate Sodium Because I would be on more opiates. I don't like to take any additional meds like that If I can manage with diet. Which I did.
But my diet was changed because of having country breakfasts for company for a few days. I should have used the meds or the stool softener-laxative that I usually use, when I need something extra.
Now if youre squeamish you can stop reading right now!
Too many days went by without me paying attention to what was happening to me. and by the time I realized what I had done it was too late!!! I had bonafide BLOCKAGE!
I took the pills he gave me morn, noon, and night...Nothing! And another day went by for the blockage to grow. I then used my stuff, double dose morn, and night... Nothing!
Now I'm scared, thinking I'm going to die from toxic shock!
So I new I had to go or else! I had pressure on my prostate and what ever else and couldn't pee either. And I hurt from bottom to top like I was going to explode. And had cramps that were making life impossible. So Used suppositories. No luck! Just burning and cramps tripled. I couldn't button my pants cause I couldn't stand the pressure on my gut!All I had done was make all this stuff that was supper soft and putting massive pressure to come out. But the blockage wouldn't allow it past! I told my wife to hurry down to the Pharmacy & get me an enema thingy and more suppositories and everything she could think of. Or take me to the ER. She was taking too long and I found something to make my own enema, loaded it with hot soapy water. And shot the blockage, middle, sides, front, back, right in the middle of it. trying to break it up, NO DICE!!! So I did it again the same way, and this time there was an explosion, I gave birth to triplets and everything else came out behind it at 130 mi. per hr. :jawdrop:
And that's why I haven't been on the forums for several days!!! I've been miserable, then recuperating. And I think I need reconstructive surgery!!! :& :sick:
So, if you did't get sick, and read the whole thing through, DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU!!! =))

What happened was I was blocked with something that couldn't possibly make it past. Without a surgical cut.
Good luck, Jim
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
advertisement

Comments

• finally Jim. I take docusate sodium also and have to take 60ml of milk of magnesia (good old MOM) It can really be hard on your back. I hope it doesn't happen again for you. It's tough with taking narcotics and ending up bound up blocked up. I notice the switch I had to oxycontin from MS contin has been rough on me. Take care and I don't feel awful reading your post it's a part of life and it can lead to serious business. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Jim, Glad it all worked out in the end. Pun intended. But I have to admit, your story made me laugh until I thought I popped a pedi screw. Maybe it is just your story telling skills. So sorry for your misery. I also had issues, but not nearly that bad. Double shots of MOM and Dulcolax got me going, but not at 130 mph,, THANK GOD!! I do hope you can keep on top of it now and won't go through that hell again.

Best Wishes,
    Traci
  • Congrats on the new additions to the family!!!
    What did you name them?
    =)) =)) =))
    Thanks for making my day.
    Sorry for your misery though.
    Kylie
  • Jim, I'd told this story before, but my MIL who took care of me for the first two weeks after my TLIF is from the old school and believes that the best thing for anyone recovering from anything is starch. Chicken and noodles over mashed potatoes with gravy. Fried Chicken. Quesadillas. I was getting so clammed up it hurt to put my brace on. Finally my hubby and I asked her for some veggies and she threw in some more potatoes ("They grow in the ground, don't they? That means they're veggies.)

Lord, I thought I'd explode during those first two weeks. After she left it took me about four days, but I took quite a few over-the-counter remedies along with fiber and bran and finally got back to where I'm doing ok.

I'd suggest that when you're making your surgery plans, make up some diet plans too to give to your caregiver. I felt like if I got sneaky and stole a broccoli off of someone's dish I was committing a felony.

Oy Vay, I think we've all been there to some extent and it just doesn't help back pain at all.

Cath
  • Dear Jim,

You have my sympathies, my friend. I hope you have some soothing suppositories to help reduce the tissue inflammation in that delicate area. Can you sit in a bathtub? If you can, epsom salt baths will help to soothe that area.

Boy oh boy... this sure brought back a lot of memories. I don't know which is worse... going over the speed limit or being stranded in that situation. I had to be rescued from the fire department! Talk about embarassing... I think I was beaming red for days after my ordeal. I was 8 months pregnant and I could not get up from the toilet... I was stuck and couldn't move. I kept asking for beans and prune juice, but I couldn't get those down. I nailed the wall with undigested beans and prune juice, while stuck on the toilet. The fire department was called, they shook my ex-husband's hand congratulating him on what they thought was the baby coming out. They managed to get me on a gurney, rushed me to the hospital and my doctor was there waiting for my arrival. Well, it wasn't the baby crowning... it was this solid brick of doo doo. The 3 enemas didn't work, so my doctor had to manually break-up and remove the brick. His hand cramped up several times during the process and it through me into major contractions... lol. It was just awful!! I wound up staying the night at the hospital, so they could get the contractions under control.

Needless to say, I am absolutely paranoid... to this very day... of having that happen again. If I don't have a bowel movement every other day... I take the maximum dose of Senna tablets. They are gentle... they don't cause any sonic booms. #:S

Hugs, hugs, hugs to you. I'm glad you are cleaned out now, but wow... what a time you had. :(

I'm so glad you are back and I doubt you will be having country breakfasts for a while!

Take good care,

Tammy >:D<
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    Couldn't believe what I had done WITH HER TURKEY BASTER!!!
    But I didn't want to have to call the paramedics! And have to explain to my neighbors, what had happened! =)) =)) =))
    Jim
    p.s. she threw the turkey baster away! =)) =))
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • First off, glad you got the poop situation resolved.

I'm sorry for the rough time you had, but holy cow, I laughed my butt off, you have a great sense of humor.

Tammy: You must have been mortified, I also laughed like crazy at your post. I think most women who have been pregnant have gone through similar problems, although not to the extent that you did. Thanks you two for sharing, and for the chuckles.
  • Call for desperate measures!

OMG... a turkey baster!

That was some creative thinking there, Jim!

LOL... =)) =)) =))

The neighbors... I forgot another funny part. My ex-husband ran across the street to ask for the prune juice I was hollering for. The neighbor, Kathy, came running into the house with some and she forgot to put her dentures in! She kept trying to help get me to the bed, but I couldn't do it. She was jumping up and down with excitement, as she was sure the baby (Zach) had crowned. When the other neighbors saw the fire truck and ambulance... OMG... I was surrounded by my neighbors. They kept cheering me on about having the baby. It was so crazy and I was sooooo uncomfortable!

Whew wee... it's so funny to look back on, but I'll do anything to not have that happen again!

You gave others a heads-up Jim, about using a turkey baster if need be!

=))

Have a great day everyone!

Tammy :))(
  • Hey you guys,
    I was gonna post on this but I decided to jump up and look for the "Ducolax" instead. Never can be to prepared. ROFLMAO!

Thanks for the laughs!

(Really am glad everything came out Ok. I've been there. Next time try mentioning my name. At least you'll get a good seat.)

Happy Valentines Day All.

But for some reason Chocolate just doesn't sound all that great right now.

Frog
  • OK I admit I was HOWLING with laughter =)) as well as flinching with sympathy pains for you.

However I myself am currently in the same situation and think if things don't work out soon, I will opt for surgery after reading your experience lol ;)

I am 9 days without a poo and have eaten every type of greasy and get you going food around --- Time to bring out the big guns BUT I won't be using a turkey baster lol By the way that IS a great idea !!! =D>
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Oh Jim and Tammy(wiping my eyes so I can see) what stories!! I know it was NOT funny at the time but your telling it has me rolling on the floor!! =)) A turkey baster AND fire trucks!!! :))(
    I am soooo happy you are both OK now. Something like that is very painful but the way you both told it was screaming funny. Even Pepper is holding her tummy laughing!!
    All I have to do is drink a big glass of prune juice and I am off to the races in a couple of hours! The race to see if I can make it to the throne in time! Sometimes the prune juice wins!
    Oh my goodnesss..a turkey baster is NEVER going to look the same to me again!!
    Big hug all around and a tail wag from Pepper.......if she will stop laughing.
    Patsy W
  • I've haven't laughed this hard in a long time. Thanks for sharing the stories.

And it wasn't just the stories - the way you guys described it - Jim talking about giving birth to triplets at 130MPH while Tammy's got all he neighbors, friends and family around rooting for the birth of a brick that the firemen are breaking up in pieces so they'll come out.

OMG, the things our members go through. Tammy, I'm glad that you gave birth to a beautiful brown baby brick and Jim, thank God she threw away the baster. Thanksgiving next year would've been very difficult to swallow.

LOL
    Cath
  • I just thought about you coming home later without a baby and having to explain to all of your neighbors what happenend!
    You could have wrapped up the "brick" in a baby blanket. And showed it off to all of your neighbors! But what would you name it???!!! :O =)) =)) =))
    Jim :?
  • i laughed my head off, i am really glad u shared these stories, hopefully if i ever have the same happen to me i will know what to do, just not sure i could post without taking my pic off signature.
    good job we can laugh at times like these, it is a serious message to take care of ourselves, bless u for sharing and making me laugh along with u not at u .
    a brick and triplets =)) :))(
  • These posts reminded me what I went through in my early days post-op (total brain fuzz from the meds).

Turn away now if you are a "delicate" person.
    I realized my arms were "too short" to properly wipe my butt, I had even seen special gadgets in catologs to help, but didn't think I needed them.

Lo and behold, I was being so cautious about bending in any kind of way, but I knew I needed help: of course everyone was at school or work, so I ended up using salad tongs to grab the wipe and help me! Bless my dear hubby, he never asked me why the salad tongs were in the bathroom for 2 weeks, then in the garbage. I think he was probably afraid of the answer!!!

• I don't know that I'll every be able to use my turkey baster again!
  • You're not the first one to use salad tongs to help wipe up. I remember almost this exact thing being discussed a year or so ago. It's really not such a bad idea, but just make sure you get that paper on there thoroughly because the edges of those things can be pretty sharp. Ouchy.
  • LOL!

What about...

"Here's my little Poopsy! His coloring is a tad bit off right now, but the doctor assured me with a little sunlight and time, he'll start turning white real soon."

Oh, just picturing me doing that to those sweet neighbors... I just couldn't have put them through the shock! We had the sweetest of neighbors in our first house... we really did. Can you imagine their expressions? Poor Kathy (the prune juice lady) would have dropped her dentures right then and there, seeing such a sight!

I was really fortunate, as my ex-husband delivered the news ahead of time. He went back to the house to sleep and told the neighbors what transpired, the following morning.

I'll never forget my mom... my ex called her on the telephone when I was stuck on the porcelain throne. She told him to tell me "not to push, it might be the baby's head". He kept saying that repeatedly, so that's why everyone got all excited about it being the real deal. Instead, it was more like a raw deal!

Thinking back, boy...I was sore for days. That's why I could really empathize with you, Jim. And for goodness sakes, you're just weeks out of surgery! I can't imagine the back pain you endured trying to maneuver that turkey baster around! But hey, it worked and you spared yourself of the sirens roaring down the street and stopping in front of your house that night.

I sure hope you are feeling better. It had to cause you more back pain, but relief at the same time.

LOL... this thread is hilarious. I love it!

Take good care over there,

Tammy :)
  • I was thinking of you all who have had this technically difficulty yesterday as I was "working things out" after a 10 day no go issue :(

I kept saying to myself "pooping should NOT be this complicated or hard to do" lol ;)

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • What do people use to help in this situation (wiping)?

One of my PM doctors told me this is a big complaint from others.

Maybe this is included on the list of items to get, before surgery. I'll have to take a looksie.

Tammy :)

• OK, now the subject is being discussed; can anyone advise on the best product to get. Mind you, I am in the UK, so if you could explain what are the features to look out for in a good wiping aid.

Can you believe the things that we ask on here? lol!
  • Hi Lisa,

I never thought of that. I sure wish I would have known there was something to help, as wiping was absolute agony for me. I couldn't take my full torso hard shell brace off... for 3 1/2 months. Trying to reach around, absolutely killed my back... due to the fresh fractures throughout my T spine. I knew I had good support with the brace, but any kind of arm reaching just killed me. Unless I had solid stools that just plopped out... I would spend a great deal of time with the baby wipes. I know Mike would have helped me, but for some reason... I just couldn't ask for help. He was always waiting outside the door for me, so you know what I did? To muffle any sounds I made... we have a shower radio and I hung the thing on the door with the speaker facing towards the door. LOL.

I will remember this idea and share it with anyone I talk to.

So glad those days are over!

Thanks for sharing... :)

Tammy
  • I've seen these in a catolog, for the exact reason we may need them. I think the catolog was "Collections, Inc." which has all kinds of stuff. Otherwise I would try any kind of medical supply store. Most of us don't even think of this until in the bathroom and thinking "what the heck do I do now?"

Thanks Jim for starting this thread, it has been a cautionary tale for many of us but hilarious at the same time! You and Tammy are good, funny story tellers.

Take care all, Lisa
  • You all are too funny.
    I hate the urge to push,then nothing :W push, nothing :W then suddenly push and end up turning inside out :''( and still nothing :''( . Senna also works good. I have to plan ahead taking the night before my day off cuz the bathroom is all the way back in the huge store where I work and difficult to get away from my area. So I get constipated quite often. Also taking percs don't help relieve that kind of pain only makes things worse. I look forward to my days off for really my personal time.

May we all have greater days =D>
  • I think that was one of the most humiliating and discouraging things that I hadn't been warned about! I was having trouble too after surgery(going and wiping!LOL) with what to use/do to wipe. I have short arms and I wanted to be independent. I was walking around the house looking everywhere for something to help. I kept trying to think of ideas with every drawer,closet I went through. I found an extra swifter duster handle....hmmm.... that might work? My husband told me I was crazy, it wouldn't work! It does have the prongs for the duster to fit on so I put tp in the middle one time to hold the tp, then wrapped it around both prongs and it worked! Yahoo! Just shake the tp off and done! Warning: Don't wrap the tp too tightly so it shakes off easily! My husband and a few friends that I shared my secret with laughed at me and my "special tool" story until they cried! One gf thought the co. should be told of the new and various uses! LOL! Anyways, if this can help any of you, go for it! And just fyi, later another friend bought me a wiper from the catalog but it is WAY too long and wide for petite people and the tp is suppose to hold and come off easily...didn't work for me.I didn't want to hurt her feelings or tell her she wasted her money but it has been in the box in the back of the closet after I gave it a few tries.

Where else in the world can we share stories like this and appreciate them? Only spiney friends can relate and truly understand! That's why I feel so at home with my friends here. The old me would have been too embarrassed and shy to share this...another good being a spiney has helped me with!

Take care and have a pain free, no back-ups, no problem evening!

Kathy
    about it. is if I ever had the chance to meet any of you. Person to person, face to face. I couldn't do it! I'd die laughing, knowing you were picturing me with my turkey baster =)) And me picturing you with your little bundle of joy =)) or you with your butt wiper =)) and the rest of you, trying to reach and not making the reach, and saying oh forget it! =)) We're Killin' me! :))(
    Jim
  • If Tammy used the "brick" as the initial brick when building her new house. What a story to tell people. "This was my first baby".

And Jim, do you know anyone who needs a turkey baster for Christmas?

LOL
  • a spatula - not a turner/flipper. A spatula that you would normally use to get the last of something out of a jar/bowl etc.

It is soft and flex-able for getting into the cracks/grooves lol ;)

But seriously you don't have to worry about poking yourself as they are all soft rubber with no points.

Remind me if any of us met not to eat at your home - we'll go out for dinner - I'll even pay :))(
  • OMG! I so second that Ms . Humpty Dumpty. If we ever all do get together, let's all go out to dinner instead of eating in someone's home. I'll even go in on the bill with you!

LOL!

Hey, if anyone needs me I'll be buying stock in stool softners, exlax, and assorted kitchen cadjets. (Strictly to help pay the dinner tab. You understand.)

Frog
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.