Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Happy to have found this site when searching for answers

momof3msmmomof3ms Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in New Member Introductions
Came across this site today as preparing for my follow-up visit with surgeon tomorrow. 9 days post-op of micro lumbar diskectomoy for herniation between L4-L5.

Been dealing with back pain for almost 2 yrs following car accident. Should have had surgery long time ago but fear kept me back. Gone through physical therapy, pain meds, and many rounds of steroids. Finally gave in and i am recovering well from the surgery itself, but after 24 hrs of being home was back in horrible pain that nearly immobilizes me. I am back on steroids again :''( They make me crazy and i feel so discouraged as i thought after having the surgery i would be finished with that type of treatment. Surgeon told my family there
was a terrible amount of inflammation on that nerve. Could take a long time for pain to go away and said it could be permanent. I am so discouraged and wonder how to manage this pain now.

I also have a bulging disc between L3-L4,which he decided not to touch. He felt like the herniation was the problem. Also, have degenerative disc in the cervical area.

I have joined this site looking for support. I feel my family and friends are tired of hearing about it. I understand as sometimes i am exhausted from it. This has consumed my life for too long. My whole life style has changed, and i guess i thought that once i had the surgery that all would be well. I am so discouraged and really dont know how to manage the pain. I cannot keep taking steroids and so far the pain meds alone wont touch it.

thanks for listening!

• Hi Mom-welcome to the site-this is a wonderful place for knowledge,support,venting-we do it all!There are people on here who can give you some ideas on how to manage,and even if we haven't had your particular situation-sometimes a tip from someone can help you anyway.We spineys are ALWAYS here!
  • :))) thanks for the welcome! It looks like i have found a place of support, just what i was looking for.
  • Sorry to hear your in so much pain. Try to remember you are still in the recovery stage following your procedure. Everything in there is going to swollen from the operation. Just take it slowly and do only what you are allowed/supposed to be doing.
    When you see your doc make sure you are clear on what restrictions you have.
    Hang in there, it just a wait and see game right now.
    We are here to support you through it though
  • Hi

First let me say welcome to spine-health and glad you found us. As the others have said remember you are still recovering and the nerves will need time to heal. Long after the physical scar of surgery is gone the nerve is still healing behind the scenes. Typically i say give it a year before they make any decisions regarding the nerve, as that is about how long it is going to take. I can really relate too, about having a accident, and your life being changed. For myself it has been 4 years and 5 neck surgeries latter. But good news I am still here to discuss it. When one enters this journey you think it will be "just fix it", and will be done. In many cases that is how it works but for a few of us the out come is far different. While my life has been changed up side down and I learned what it is to live in chronic pain i also found all these others going through the same things as myself. Trust me it does help, unless you been here done that it is sometimes hard to relate. Not to say that the friends and the one's we love don't have empathy for us they just find it hard to understand. So while your journey maybe long always know we get it and understand, and will try to help in any way we can from our personal experiences.

You say you have a follow-up with the surgeon this week. Do yourself a favor and make a list of all the questions you have. Sometimes when the pain is unbearable it is easy to loose track in the meeting. Don't be afraid to discuss the pain you are still having, and what can they do to better control the pain. I always hesitate anyone to ask for a certain med or test but rather let them give you some options that may work for you.

Keep us posted on how your appointment goes and once again welcome to spine-health. If i can be of any assistance don't hesitate to pm me. Take care and look forward to reading more of your post.
  • =D> Wow! We fought the elements to get to the appt. Hubbie and son worked at least an hour on driveway to get us off the hill as the snow was pouring. >:D< Safely have arrived back home, appt went well. Staples removed and was told to be patient that inflammation will probably continue to go down and hopefully the severe pain wont return. Just trying to stay positive! Hope everyone is having a great day!
  • Hello momof3ms,
    It is never easy when pain changes us and we do not recognise ourselves disappearing into the distance, telling someone does not ease those changes as we all try to help support and protect other for similar situation and experience that we may have.

We all know you have been brave in making this difficult decision and it is always a leap into the unknown, this will get better and it will take time, my surgeon said 18 months to fully measure the true impact of this success and having made this important step, you need the stamina to keep going for the next phase of the improvement process.

At least you are aware of the changes that are needed and seen that you have and will survive this ordeal as many do here, with support and enthusiastic encouragement, the alternative would have been to do nothing and waiting those two years gave you some insight to how living with pain every day without surgery for many is unsustainable, our condition forces us to make some decision.

We are glad to have found you also and welcome to our community.

Pace well and be kind to yourself.

Dad of 3