Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Physical therapy?

LBGChrisLLBGChris Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Exercise and Rehab
Hey guys!

I had a microdiscectomy on L5/S1 about 5 weeks ago. I also had bad sciatica at the time. Now, my back is doing pretty well overall, and the sciatica has improved a lot. I haven't started physical therapy yet, I'm waiting on the health insurance company to approve it apparently. What exercises can I do at home in the mean time?

Specifically, my foot is still numb right now in some areas, mainly all of my toes. I need this feeling to come back. It's quite difficult to walk at the moment. My ankle is very weak as well. What can I do to improve this?

• Hi Chris,

This site has some great info on PT just be cautious starting any at home pt before it's ordred and approved by your PHYSICIAN.... Check it out here.

• Chris,
    I presume the foot sensation is a symptom of the central back pain and any flexion is better than nothing, as you I have no sensation in my foot and toes and it is not helped by walking or any impacted pressure.

Cycling has been my saviour, none weight bearing as the walking has become more problematic a reasonable adjustment to my mobility needs. Any PT while in pain is difficult and so long and it is down within you capacity and done not increase the pain to an unreasonable level then I would carry on doing something.

I applaud your desire and perhaps wait until you are given the green light and build the pace slowly, I know you are keen and the pace can soon be increased once you find that no additional symptoms happen based on increased activity.

Take care.