Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C1-C4 Cervical Fusion Please Help

shellssshells Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am a I guess whats called a newbie here, I am not on the net much due to my condition, here goes, I am a 30 year old female that was in a car accident Sept 08'(I'll make this shortest I can) I had Lumbar surgery(fusion) the very month berore the I was sent home from the hospital 11 days later with multible fractures in neck and ribs and pretty much everywhere doc said I had broken my neck and would need to where c collar for about 8-12 weeks well the first of Nov. while still in serious pain unable to sleep most of the time for having to be upright 24 7 had a hospital bed set up in the house I had unusually bad headache I stood up and well dont remember what happened my next memory was of peramedics trying to communicate with me. I was able to walk and sitting in a chair with neck brace loose feeling, they take me to ER doc takes scans and rushes in and says not to get up or try to move anymore says he's calling my Neurosurgeon right away well find the worst thing happened I had broken my C1 in a way never seen and I would be the same again for the surgery needed they fused my C1 - C4 bolting my head to the back of my skull. I have screws cables and plates in my neck I only have 5% mobility I can look down very, very little left to right and cannot hold my head back at all. when I swallow things come out of my nose Ive lost about 50lbs malnutritoned and am in pain 100% of the time. Im at the end of my rope. I am diabled per doc completley permantly!!! I was told the surgery was done wrong. Anybody had anything close to this and what do you do now to make it??? I cant write anymore right now please any thoughts are appreciated.

• Welcome to Spine Health Shells- I am sorry to hear about your problems. Being disabled and in pain 24/7 has to be very difficult.

I have seen a few case studies on fusions like yours. I think getting a few opinions on your case and condition would be a good place to start. I am assuming that you have had a few by now (some times another couple helps). Are you working with a good pain manager?

I would also suggest that you check out the Chronic Pain thread. There maybe more ideas/information on pain control.

• You have been through sooooooooo much Shells. I am so sorry you have to go through the pain and the difficulties with eating, etc. I only had C5/6 fusion, can't imagine going through what you had. Best to you and keep coming back. You need support and we will be happy to be there for you.

• Thank you for your comment, and yes it is very difficult not to mention depressing. The surgeons that performed my surgery said that they had never performed a surgery like mine nor had they seen a break like mine either. I live in NC and have been referred to one other surgeon so far at a very known hospital here just to hear theres nothing they could do I will keep looking. I will also try the chronic pain forum as well. Thank you again :)
  • Thank you, Marianne

I appreciate your thoughts I do need all the support I can get, as of now my future looks grimm but I pray I will hear some good news soon, or there will be some change. Right now one day at a time.

Thanks again :)
  • Hi Shells,

First let me say welcome to spine-health. They always say life can change in a instant and sounds like yours has. I agree with the others to keep searching for answers. while it has been sometime since your accident I really think your still in recovery from the surgery. You say you are loosing weight and having issues eating have you seen a nutrionist. They may have some scripts they can give to keep the weight on as well make it easier for you to retain food. If your not getting the proper nutrients it will make your recovery that much harder. In general how is your over all fusion coming are you completely fused in the lumbar and the cervical? Do you still see the neurosurgeon who did surgery? What types of medications do they have you on?

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. Look forward to reading more of your post. If there is anything I can do don't hesitate to pm me. Take care.