Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck collar

TatiyanaTTatiyana Posts: 194
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Well I am back home from having my ACDF and I have a question, How many of you were sent home with a collar and are you to wear it all the time or just off & on through out the day?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    I had to wear a Philadelphia Hard Collar for over 9 weeks, 24 hours a day. I had to remove one half of it when I showered.

This is what I wore:

After the 9 weeks, I started using a soft collar
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I guess I should be thankful I only have to wear the soft collar, but it is driving me nuts! ~X(

I have less pain when I remove it, and it's much easier to swallow..I just cant remember how long he said I would need to wear it.

• Call back the discharge nurse and ask them. They should have it in the discharge instructions. Whatever the answer is be sure to follow it to the letter. Happy all is over and your home. Take care.
  • Wow, Tatiyana, I'm glad you only have to wear a soft collar. Like Ron, I was in a Miami J collar for the first four weeks, then in a soft collar for the next eight weeks.

If you want to dress it up, go to the store and purchase some knee socks, cut out the toes and slip it over your collar. I had about four different colors and some with little patterns on them. I loved having my collar match my outfit when I was at work. LOL

Take care. I hope you get used to it - I always felt so protected when I had a collar after my ACDF.

• Hi,

I had my first neck surgery Dec 08 and I had a hard collar for six weeks, but in the house and in bed I had a soft collar. Dec. 09 I had my 2nd neck surgery posterior, it has been 11 weeks and I am still wearing the hard collar (no soft one this time) but after six weeks they let me sleep without it. Next week I will hear if I have to do another six weeks with this collar. The good news it's not summer time and 100 degrees outside.
    Take care,
  • I also had to wear the Philadelphia collar for the first 4 weeks, and then switched to the wide firmer soft collar during the day and told to wear the hard collar at night (which I did) till I was 6 weeks post op, and then no collar, unless I wanted to, and when I was in the car.

Hope you have an easy and good recovery!
  • For both of my surgeries I was put int the Aspen hard collar until my first follow up appointment - about 12 days. Then soft collar for 4 weeks when active, and for sleeping. I slept better in the hard collar believe it or not! :-) I am not sure if it makes a difference or not, both surgeries were anterior entry.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.