Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Scary information about Celebrex, Lyrica & more!

noseovertailnnoseovertail Posts: 387
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Pain Medications
I hope it's okay that I post these links (and you can find many more by searching 'Scott Reuben fraud' :

Apparently an anesthesiologist named Scott Reuben has plead guilty to "faking dozens of research studies that were published in medical journals." He did research for Pfizer which includes Celebrex, Lyrica, Vioxx and others. He had been fabricating reports that have been published in medical journals for THIRTEEN YEARS!!! He is facing a 10 year prison sentence and a $250,000 fine.

I've been apprehensive about taking my Celebrex (and somewhat the Lyrica, too) after I googled for Celebrex side effects. I realize that almost all pharmaceutical drugs have many less than desireable side effects but now after this fraud thing, I don't know if I want to continue taking either one. *sigh*

• Andrea,

Howdy!!! I haven't heard of all this, but for *me* I is a "night and day" difference in the pain department for me with Lyrica. Once I got over the buzzy, sleepy part, and too hehehe, the water retention and weight gain (stabilized, and now coming down slowly for the weight gain - water issues seem minimal now), I LOVE this medication!

Narcotics/Opiates etc., they just make me loopy and the pain is still there - yeah I know, could be the med type, but Lyrica and I are a GOOD, no a GREAT fit. :-)

Another way that I look at it Andrea, is LOOOOTTTTTSS of people were involved with developing these drugs, so I can scrap something that is working, and too something that lots of others actually made. :-) Thanks for the info though, and yeah, the side effects (and my NS told me of them, and too how scary they were) where minor for me, and now pretty much gone. Have a good one woman!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • How long have you been taking Celebrex? As it is an NSAID, isn't it one the drugs that inhibit bone fusion? What is the consensus on this drug...anyone?

• I've been taking it for about a week and a half. I had to skip a couple of days in the beginning due to insurance, so it's been more like one week straight. I *just* got a letter in the mail from our insurance company saying they will not support Celebrex until I've tried 2 generics first. F that, pardon my language.

I've been curious about taking it because of bone growth too. I've had a gut reaction not to take it and I think I'm going to stop. If my headaches & memory loss goes away then I'll be very happy. If not, maybe it's the Lyrica.

I wish I knew if the meds were working or if I'm just getting better on my own.
  • Brenda, sorry I didn't see your post! I realize that lots of people are involved in these drugs but that guy got away with lying for 13 years!! That's extremely scary in my book. I'm typically a more holistic person anyways, so I have my issues with 'big pharma' as it is. If it works for you then that's wonderful, I just would rather avoid any complication and I think at this point I'd rather live with leg pain than the off chance I will have a heart attack or die without any symptoms leading up to it (that's one of the side effects!).

I always think it's better to be informed, so I'm just spreading the message :-) I'm definitely going to ask my PM doctor on Monday about Lyrica and asking if I can just go without Celebrex or anything for a while.
  • I just don't know the verdict about Celebrex. I'm too fearful to take it...but that is just a personal conviction. I started taking Lyrica 2-3 weeks ago, myself. I try to take a little of the Lyrica as possible, but it does help the burning pain somewhat... It does, as you know, have some scary side effects, as many drugs do. It concerns me also, but for now, I need help with the pain. Hopefully I won't have to take it forever!

• Lisa, what is your Lyrica dosage? I think I take 150 2x a day (I don't have the bottle in front of me). This is an interesting website: http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=20998&name=CELEBREX about Celebrex. It just goes to show you how it effects everyone differently.
  • I'm taking Lyrica 50mg in the AM, and 75mg in the PM.

• Howdy Andrea,

Just me talking here.... Celebrex? I don't think I would want to touch that puppy (NSAID??) until I was a good 6 months or better out of surgery. But who knows. I stayed away from all that stuff, and as of today, the top of my C6/7 is "failed" as a fusion (another post, another day for that).

As for "sudden heart attacks" as a possibility with Lyrica, nodding, and there are bunches of other issues that can come up - standard to a lot of meds. In almost 50 years on this planet, and losing tons of friends and relatives to all manner of things, I have to go on what is working for now. I do know that without it, I can NOT function as the pain is like hitting your "funny bone", but in a much larger area of my body! If this shaves time off what I have on this planet, not thrilled mind you, but I am comfortable! Because I am on a twice daily heart medicine (good heart, just too fast, and conversely, makes for a too low blood pressure), I am monitored by a Cardiologist - and all is well in the ticker department! I had a friend drop dead in front of me in high school - she had a major aneurysm that no one knew her even having any health issues! No meds, we could be her, no?

If I look at the side effects of that med, whooowzers... I guess what I am getting at Andrea, there are a lot of great medications out there, and yeah, most or many of them have some pretty crappy side affects. I guess one has to decide what out weighs what? :-)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • that Celebrex helps with pain...I'm just obscessed with having a solid fusion, as you are I'm sure!!!
    I take Vitamin D3, and keep my levels in the optimum range, take B12 injections, omega oil..etc. I like the holistic approach also. I have a difficult time being on all these meds for pain control...it is the pits!!!

• Where did you get B12 injections? I would love to find a way to get those, and have it approved by my insurance. I'm trying to lose weight right now and making sure I keep my protein levels & everything in line is hard. I'm vegetarian, I really need to take vitamins.

Some people say that their doctor found soft bone (after a broken leg, for example) after they had been on Celebrex. That scares me.
  • http://www.hss.edu/conditions_13480.asp. Check this one out. Celebrex and Spinal Fusion...I've never posted a link, so hopefully it works.

• My doctor prescribed it. It is hydoxocobalamin, and one of the easiest for your body to utilize. Most vitamin B12 is Cyanocobalamin (not good)...and your body has to be able to convert it to the active form, so it isbest to use the hydroxocobalamin, or methylcobalamin. Mine comes in a 30cc vial, and I use 1cc every week, so it is dirt cheap, since I can use it for a longer period of time. The vial should be discarded after one month, and you have to use care in cleaning the top of the vial, and the area to be injected. If you can't get a Rx, methylcobalamin 5000 mcg that comes in a tablet that you should dissolve under your tongue to get the best results.
  • Thanks for the info! I take Metanx, which I think is concentrated vitamin B. I wonder if the shot would be better!
  • So...metanx does give you methylcobalamin 2000mcg, and Vitamin B6, which is great. However, the problem is that foods containing B12 are poorly absorbed in the gut. So, the question is...if you swallow Metanx...will it be well absorbed in the gut???!! What I do know is that B12 taken sublingually (under the tongue) and injected in the muscle gives you wonderful results. I get Vitamin B6 injections twice a year from my gynecologist also.

• Good point! I'm really interested in the B12 shot. Do you think a pain management doctor would give them out? Or do I ask my PCP? I have a gyno appointment next month, I can ask her too. I'm kinda excited, I know I need more B12 being veggie especially.
  • to read about that too. I was on Celebrex and Vioxx for my arthritis starting almost 10 yrs ago. Almost Luckily for me, I already had some stomach issues (mostly reflux) but it was exacerbated by the Vioxx and Celebrex so I stopped taking them relatively quickly. Scary that what we hope will heal heal can do so much harm...and I mean the doctors as much as the meds!
  • I picked up dissolvable B12 from Whole Foods yesterday, in addition to Vitamin D. I'm excited to start taking them.

I just wanted to update with a little Celebrex info. I stopped taking it yesterday, and today I feel a LOT better! My headache went away and my brain feels like it's out of the 'fog' it's been in. I have more motivation and I have a feeling my memory will come back. I'm hopefuly.

This just confirms it for me... no more Celebrex!
  • Hi all,

I didnt read the whole thread, :$ but I did see someone ask if Celebrex inhibits bone formation. My surgeon put me on it about 5 months post op and said that it is the only NSAID that does not have any effect of bone healing/formaion. However, I just read the article posted above a few, that states it has been found to delay healing of bone fractures in animals. I "think" it said prior to 5 weeks post op. I was given it at 5 months. Also, I jsut recently stopped taking it thinking it was not doing anything, since I never noticed a change in my leg pain and attributed my lessening back pain to normal healing. Its been a week now since I have not taken it and my back is so sore and achy. I did not think of it til reading this article, but perhaps it is hurting because I stopped the celebrex. I am in PT and really did not change much the past week. If it continues and doesnt improve I think i will go back on it. :/

Also, I cant take Lyrica due to insurance issues, but I am on the max dose of Neurontin and let me tell you...if a dose is late i certainly feel the difference. So it works for me. But I am still having pain and other issues. :S
  • That's interesting.. I always thought Celebrex was useless for me. It never seemed to work and I swear every time I tried it my pain/burning got worse.

I just gave up and moved on.

Naproxen worked much better for me.