Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can understand how addiction happens...

allicat623aallicat623 Posts: 45
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Pain Medications
First off, I don't want to offend anyone at all. I am just sharing my experiences.

See my signature for the specifics, but I had cervical surgery last summer with hardware. In Dec/Jan I started getting pain in my neck/shoulders/and back of my head. I tried OTCs for a while, but they didn't work very well and I know they aren't good for the liver and kidneys.

I still have some percocets left from my surgery and I use those on "special occasions" where I know I'm going to be more active.

During the holidays, I had a few drinks on occasion and would feel relaxation and relief in my neck area like nothing else I tried. This scared me because I have alcoholics in my family and I hate it. I have always been able to have one or two drinks and leave it at that. Even now, I only have one drink on occasion...

But my point is that when you've tried just about EVERYTHING and nothing seems to work, then you find something that does make you feel better, you want to keep on doing whatever it is, just to get a little relief.

I am a little humbled by this realization and can understand how people can become addicted to pain killers and/or alcohol when their pain is so great that nothing else will give them relief.

• if you are in constant pain ..and you want some quality of life back ..you will almost certainly have to be on pain killers for the rest of the time you are in pain {for the most if us that will be all our lives} its a hard thing to take on board if you are only young but as back pain is so debilitating many find that a narcotic is the only thing that gives them some relief .i myself know that i could not go a day without my fix of oxycontin and as the years have rolled on i have gotten used to it and now have to take a large amount just to take the edge of the pain ..i am addicted ?? yes i am ..i am assamed//no i am not ..i have never taken the drug for the euphoric effects {because i am one of the many that have never had the euphoric effects!}.there seems to be a stigma attached to narcotics but i think if you are on them for a legitimate reason you should not feel ashamed .what really get me is when perfectly healthy people start to take them recreationally and they get addicted to them ..yes i feel sorry for them because i am a kind person and withdrawal is no picnic but they are fools to take such a strong drug when they don't have to
  • I just had my surgery 1-3-10. I am scared about getting addicted. Because I have a addictive personality and a family history of addiction. I have been trying to wean myself to lower doses of my percocets. But thats the only way I can function.
  • People use the word addiction when it comes to the proper use of pain medications, when the word they should use is tolerance/tolerant. There is a huge difference in the two words , just as there are in pain relief and recreational use.
    Addiction is defined as using a substance that has caused you problems, using medication for purposes other than it's intended purpose, taking more than prescribed or altering the way that it is taken. Those are all signs of addiction.
    Tolerance occurs to anyone who has been on an opiate pain medication for any length of time. Tolerance does not equal addiction.
    If you are taking more than you are prescribed, or taking them more often than you are supposed to, altering the method of delivery, getting them from someone other than your pain management doctor/GP, getting them from multiple sources, running out early,taking old prescriptions for "fear of being in pain" then yes, you may have signs of addition and should discuss the issue with your doctor.
    If you are taking them as prescribed, and not as described above, then you aren't showing the typical signs of addiction. You may be and probably are tolerant if you have been on them for any length of time and that will have to be dealt with when the time comes to stop taking them, but that can be easily handled by your prescribing doctor.
    I understand all of the fears about addiction, having been there and worried about it as well, but I also know that because there is a history of addiction in your family doesn't mean that you too will join the ranks. You can make sure to stay aware, to follow the prescribers directions and to make sure that you are taking the right meds for the right reasons.
    If you do all of that, addiction should not be something that most of us have to deal with. No matter how long we've been on narcotics.
  • I understand your fear. Make sure you are talking to your Doc about your fear also. I have been on oxycodone for 3 yrs and take it daily also muscle relaxers. I have never increased my dosage and take more than prescribed. I have to check in with the Doc every 3 months we go over this every time. But I have chronic pain it is the only way I can function.

Keep yourself in check and be honest with your Doc. My best friend is a runs a drug rehab...she helps keep me real also.

But I completely understand how people can become addicted. But with out them...my life would be painful. Be real with yourself and always honest with the Docl