Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm having my level 2 ACDF done on March 18

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I need to have this done finding out all the info I can. I think i'm most concerned about the recovery process. I know that everyone copes diferently I just hope it goes well. If anyone can help me through this process I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

• Hi Jenny,

First let me say welcome to spine-health. You will find many here myself included who have or are going through the same thing as yourself. Be sure to check out all the post in the neck pain forum there are lots of post regarding that surgery. Also in the surgery forum is a post about surgery must haves. You might want to watch the video on the procedure as well so you will have a idea of the procedure. What levels are you having done. Will you be using cadaver bone or your bone or some other material for the graft? Do you know if you will be wearing a collar or brace and if so for how long? What is the reason they are performing the surgery?

Anyway Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. If i can be of any assistance to you don't hesitate to pm me. Look forward to reading more of your post. Take care.
  • Thank you very much for responding, its a level 2 for herniated discs, I got injured at work. The Dr explained the surgery and I've watched some videos already. I'm starting to get nervous about the recovery process. What did you have done?
  • Welcome to Spine-Health. I'm glad you found us.

I've had a 3-lvl ACDF 16 months ago. I understand how nerve-wracking it can be and how many questions you probably have.

Like tamtam asked, what levels are you having done? Do you know if you'll be wearing a collar afterwards? What symptoms were you experiencing before they decided to do surgery and did you try any conservative measures before they decided that the surgery was necessary?

The recovery is a long process with any spine surgery, but usually it's most difficult the first couple of weeks, then things seem to settle down. There will be restrictions like no BLT (bending, lifting, twisting) for a while and you'll have to take it easy on your neck for months after surgery. It's imperative that the discs fuse, so the restrictions they put in place and the timeframe for being careful and taking it easy is to make sure that your cervical spine fuses.

Take care Jenny and, obviously, feel free to ask any questions you have. Also, please let us know the info we asked so we can better help you.

• Welcome,

There is a post called March Surgeries, come and join us.
    I am having a lumbar fusion on 19th March.

You have certainly come to the right place for information and support from lots of lovely people.
  • Jenny I am having the same in about a week. What levels?

• THank you !! I will be having a C4/5 C5/6 discectomy and fusion. Dr said I will wear a collar. I was hurt at work, I have herniated discs bulging into the spine, I have numbness in my right shoulder and arm going into my right hand> The pain in my neck area is the worst. Hurts all the time. I've been to physical therapy, shots, otc meds and nothing works I'm on alot of restrictions already with the lifting etc. I cant get comfortable no mater what I try. As for the surgery its on March 18 I will stay overnight. They are using a plastic/or ceramic spacer unless he changes his mind before the surgery. :) IM more nervous about after the surg. I'm afraid of things that may happen if I sneeze or cough how eating will go things like that crazy huh?? Anyway Thank you so much for any and all imput I do appreciate it very much. Take care Jenny
  • How are you doing? I was just thinking about you and wondering how things are going.

• Hi Cath, I'm hanging in here, getting ready for work I have a migraine though yuk. How are you doing?