Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Update on Ming..........lets pray for our friend!

dehoyos13ddehoyos13 Posts: 290
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone. I'm sure that like me so many of you have been concerned about Ming. She went to the hospital to begin the SCS trial last Wednesday. I was fortunate enough to chat with my dear friend. AFter the procedure, they found a spinal fluid leak and she's still in the hospital. She has to lay flat, and is having severe spinal headaches. The good news is they finally got the SCS set properly for her.

We were wondering if there is anyone out there who's had a SCS trial and had this complication? We really would like information.

Gwennie, Straker and Noseovertail....she wants you all to know. And Gwennie...we know you've got the goods..ha ha.

Can we send up some prayer for our friend?

Thanks everyone!!!!! If you know Ming, you know she's so great.

• :D What an ordeal Ming is going through -- She is definitely in my prayers for a quick healing. Please let her Know I'm thinking of her and hoping for better days ahead.

Good news about the SCS getting set correctly to provide effective coverage.

Take care,

• Oh my Gosh, my prayers are on the way! Ming is always here for her spiney friends with a sweet smile and kind words. She is always there for her kids regardless of how much pain she is in so she must be beside herself right now. I hope her headaches are going away and she is feeling better by the time she hears that we are keeping her in our thoughts and prayers!

Good luck Michelle. We miss you and hope to hear you are home on the road to recovery soon! I sure hope your SCS gives you much deserved pain relief!

• I don't know Ming but please let her know I will say a special prayer for her. It sounds like a rough time and I hope that she finds relief and answers soon.

• How did I miss what she's been going through? I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers and hope everything works out, Lisa
  • A very sweet lady and she has been through so much. I pray she gets better soon and the headaches let up. We're pulling for you Ming. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Please tell Ming she is in my thoughts and prayers and I hope that things are turning around for her soon. I hope the SCS gives her the releif she deserves. She is such a sweety! We love you Ming! Take Care, Robin
  • Miiiiing! I am so sorry to hear what happened, I really hope her pain has subsided and that this is all over very quickly for her. I'm glad they set up the SCS for her, at least after this whole ordeal is done she may have some significant pain relief. Poor thing! I will send positive vibes her way for sure!! I also have all our paws crossed here for her! : )
  • Praying for your swift recovery and return to us!
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• i wondered why she had not returned my PMs
    lets hope she has a good result with this SCS and can resume a normal life post hospital visit
    tony{AKA STRAKER}
  • I don't really know Ming but I have followed her posts. Very kind and caring. Wishing her the best for recovery and pain relief. Naida
  • I was wondering where she had been.I was wondering why she hadn't returned my PM. We actually share the same local neurosurgeon. We found out we only live 15 minutes from each other. Yvonne, do you know if she is in her local hospital or did she go elsewhere to have it done? If she is in her local hospital it is the hospital where I work. What a small world. I hope she is home soon and rid of those headaches. If you talk to her again tell her I send my thoughts and prayers. Lynette

• Hope that she'll be healed from the spinal leak soon, and can go home and enjoy life with controlled pain.
  • I just now learned of this since I've been gone for awhile and I hope that Michelle is doing better and gets to go home to her family soon.

I have had the misfortune of spinal headaches before and I went through it 3 times: after an SCS trial and 2 post op. It was a nightmare of ultra severe headaches, severe nausea & vomiting, light and noise sensitivity, I couldn't hear in one ear, and my balance was shot. The worst part is vomiting with chronic back pain- you all know what I'm talking about, it's horrific.

Caffeine is good for this and I always asked for Coca Cola. They probably did a blood patch at the hospital to stop the spinal fluid leak and its effect is almost immediate: the worst part of the headache starts to go away but you still need to rest until all of it is gone.

Please keep praying for Ming and I hope to hear from her soon. Her buddy, Meydey
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I didn't have any problems thank God. But I did know it is a possibility with the procedure.
    Send her my prayers and I
    hope she has a speedy recovery and gets back to her family.
    Good luck,Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I hope Michelle is healing quickly. Those spinal headaches are horrible, like a migraine on steroids. Had the issue once after a myelogram. Sending good vibes her way.

• Prayers for your pain to ease and healing thoughts going out to you, Michelle! You are much loved on the board and missed when you are not here.

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • I too have suffered with a spinal headache for 4 days from a myleogram so I know what Ming is going through, bless her heart. I am sending positive thoughts and vibes Ming's way. I hope you get to feeling better soon and that the SCS is working for you. Take care!
  • Other prayer heading your way with a big

((((((((((((((((( >:D< ))))))))))))))))0

Hope you get better

• I am so sorry to hear she is going through this - prayers sent ;)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Thank you all for your thoughts, kind words, prayers, spiney hugs etc. I really needed them and still do. I've never experienced any kind of headache like this in my life an never want to again.

I just wanted to stop by and write a quick update as Yvonne let me know how many responses I got. It's still hard to be on the computer. I'm actually sitting in my bedroom in the dark with my sunglasses on.

I had the SCS trial last Wed 2/17 and the surgeon noticed a small spinal leak and kept me overnight. Within hours I was in so much pain they had to give me a shot of morphine in my fanny. They did the bloodpatch on Thursday and I was on bed rest for about 3 days and was not supposed to get up not even to go to the bathroom but I did get up a couple of times after I experienced a straight catheter and didn't want to do that again. By the time I made it to the bathroom I was throwing up cuz I was in so much pain and the nurses were not happy with me. I finally got home this Monday and have to follow up in 1 wk. I asked to have the SCS trial taken out while I was in the hospital and I'm going to have the permanent one put in after I give my body a chance to recover from this. I'm still getting pretty bad headaches, dizziness, sick to my stomach etc.

Does anyone know from their own experience how long it took for the headaches to settle down after the bloodpatch? It's been almost 1 wk and it's still pretty bad but it seems to get a little better each day.

I will try to get on the computer for a little bit tomorrow. Thank you again so much for all your support, prayers, thoughts etc and please continue to pray that I get better and that the SCS implant is going to work for me.

Good night and God Bless to all my Spiney Friends.

• So good to hear from you. I've read about spinal leak headaches, but didn't appreciate how bad they were. I've read that they last for about 2 weeks, so hopefully you are over the worst of it now.

I hope that you start to feel much better each day now, and can get plenty of comfortable rest to get over the surgery.

I notice that you have had 2 broken screws! Have you any idea how that happened. I believe it is very rare. You have had a rough ride so far. It is time now for things to improve and settle down. I really hope that they do.

Take care, we are cheering you on.
  • Good to hear from you. I hope these headaches leave you soon. Keep us posted. Lynette
  • Hi Michelle, sending prayers your way for comfort and peace! I am so sorry all of this has happened to you1 You have a ton of support and prayers and we are here for you!

I have had a spinal leak. And I too vomited from the headache and pain. It was aweful and I never want that to happen again! The bloodpatch was a life savor. It will get better! Keep that room dark and your shades on! Hang in there, we are here for you! Shari
  • My daughter had 3 blood patches done before any of them worked.

When the 3rd blood patch was done within 24 hrs the migraine was 100% gone.

She was told with the previous 2 blood patches that she would know if the blood patch took within 24 hrs as the migraine would be gone.

I pray yours took !!!! Since you are still in this level of pain maybe it sadly did not and you need to call your Dr ?

Thinking of you :)

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I hope your headache is improving. That sounds terrible and the last thing you need after all you have had to endure.When they released you from the hospital did they mention how long it might take to for the headache to go away? I'm glad you think the trial worked and plan to have the perm.SCS soon!Feel better!

• It's so good to hear from you and I'm glad you are back at home resting now. Well, when I had a spinal headache after the stim trial, it took 2 blood patches to get rid of that and the whole episode lasted 2 weeks. It took a whole week to get rid of the residual headache and for me to be able to walk upright. I literally felt like a fish out of water, real wobbly and weak and my head would spin from time to time- this was improvement from the barfing, severe headaches, etc. Only we can laugh about it now, huh? I'm sorry this happened to you too and hope it's the last time. You can ask your doctor to take precautionary measures if he thinks you are prone to spinal headaches; I sure am.

Ask your hubby to buy you a fridge pack of Coca Cola's. Your brain will thank you :D Luv, Meydey
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    what an experience. I wish you only the best and improvements every day. I know those spinal headaches can be so overpowering.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Good to hear from you and I hope the spinal headache goes away soon. I had a spinal headache after my surgery but it didn't last as long as your's.

Hope the SCS implant relieves your pain - you've certainly been through a lot.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Hi Michele,

To answer your question as to how long these spinal headaches last. I think that everyone is different. I had one over the 4th of July weekend last year after a CT Myleogram. I suffered through it for 4 days at home before finally venturing out into the bright sunlight and have my hubby drive me to the hospital for a blood patch. My headache was 75% gone an hour after the blood patch and all symptoms such as vomiting, pain, sensitivity to light and dizziness were completely gone within a week or so after the blood patch. I hope that you are feeling better by now and all residual side effects are gone. >:D<
  • Each day seems to be better than the last and I've been a member of this site for over a year and still feel overwhelmed and so loved by all of you spiney's who are there praying for myself and others and the support is so appreciative and overwhelming. I am so grateful to be a part of such a loving community.

I'm glad to say that I am getting better each day. I still have the headaches and sensitivity to light but it's less frequent each day. I too seem to be wobbly on my feet and dizzy if I move my head too quick. I'm living off diet mt dew and coffee and excedrin.

It's taken my mind off my back pain. I've haven't even thought about how bad my back hurts cuz my headache has hurt worse. It's the first time in years that I haven't noticed my back pain. I guess I can always find something good in anything bad lol.

I went out to the grocery store with my husband this evening. I had to wear my sunglasses so I looked kind of silly since it was about 7:30pm but I didn't care. My head was pounding by the time I got home but it was nice getting out of the house. I could've stayed home but I wanted to get out for a bit.

Thanks again for all the prayers and well wishes and I will be on here more once my head and eyes gets better. I hope all my spiney friends are doing well.