Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Here!

scienceteachersscienceteacher Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi all! It is so nice to stumble upon a place where there are people who are not strangers to the pain I feel. I am a 24 year old 2nd year science teacher to middle school students. I have had a herniated L4/L5 disc for the past 4 years. It had previously only been affecting my sciatic nerve down my right leg, and I have been in and out of physical therapy 5 times since my first MRI. I have tried all different ways to strengthen my core to prevent another lapse, however three weeks ago I woke up and could not find the strength to roll over let alone get out of bed. A few days later, I had another MRI only to find out that I have degenerative disc disease and that my herniation had become centralized to the point that I scheduled surgery three days after reading my MRI results.

This past Thursday I had a lumbar microdiscectomy and woke up from the surgery feeling some relief from the nerve. However, I am in such intense pain from the incision and the surrounding muscles, its hard to believe that this surgery will ever bring light at the end of the tunnel. I hope to be able to find comradely on this forum and to be able to learn from your experiences!

• We seem to have a number of young people who are having spine surgeries. I'm sorry you are going through this. You might want to check out the part of the forum that is entitled "Back surgery and neck surgery" to find others who have been through a similar situation. Start a new thread and you may get some helpful suggestions to help you deal with post-op pain.

Did your surgeon send you home with pain medication and muscle relaxers? It sounds like you may need a tweak in your medications if you are still in that much pain, although it is just three days since your surgery....

Again, welcome.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. good luck for a successful recovery. hang in there!! the first few days after surgery can be the worst but it can only get better!!! ~X( spend some time on the forum and meet some new friends.. all the best!! :D Jenny :)
  • I understand your pain. I have had a spinal fusion at L4 & L5. Awful pain!! Just awful. Yuck But it slowly eased up in time.
    Happy to hear your nerve pain eased up.
    Not only is this forum great but so is all the information you can find here on all condetions pertaining to the spine. This site has it all!!
    Cheers :H
    Patsy W