Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How long for a stress fracture to heal?

StressFractureSStressFracture Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Lower Back Pain
I few posts ago I talked about the pain I was having but now I am curious to the opinions of how long it takes for a sacral stress fracture to heal.

The fracture is on the right side of S3. I was injected with cortisone in that general area (in May of 09) which I have heard can prolong healing but what is the standard healing time for a stress fracture in this area? It has been almost one year and I have stopped all athletic activity in hopes of it healing. Any ideas?

Secondly I am curious to know if one advil (200mg ibuprofen) could possibly numb the pain of a stress fracture? I have to take one advil every 3.5 hours to make it through the day with lots of icing and my therapist thinks since advil is helping then something is causing inflammation and it is not related to the stress fracture, I am skeptical. But nonetheless going for an SI joint cortisone injection in 2 days, pray for me.

• My name is Jan and I just joined yesterday. I can't answer any of the medical questions. I think the stress fracture just depends on the person. Lower back issues are just so difficult to deal with. I've had SI joint problems for three years (don't compare your situation to mine. I'm in the Army and got ignored for a long time.) and just now had a steroid injection in my left SI joint. I'm pretty sure it's the same or similar to cortizone. I hope there's nothing else going on down in that area, but if there is, make sure the doctor addresses it immediately. Looking at your post you received the injection already. How did it go? I will continue to pray for you.
  • Hi - I'm not familiar with Sacreal joints but if it's a stress fracture, I would think the doctor may tell you to be careful on your advil/ibuprofin intake as it slows down bone growth which I would think is needed to heal the fracture (but again, I have no idea).

Did the doctor offer to do an MRI?
    A cortisone injection would be a bit stronger than an oral steroid I think...so hopefully it will provide relief for longer.

I am sure you will do well with it and I will send a prayer that you get some much needed reief. Glad to hear your doctor is taking your pain seriously.

• I've had numerous MRI's. The only thing that shows up is a torn disc. It's been ignored for three years. It's crazy because every ounce of my pain started from that area. All of the other problems came later. Since it's gone untreated for so long, I just keep getting worse and worse. At first my new pain management doc wasn't going to pay attention to my disc. Then a miracle happened!!! Last week she told me if the facet injections I'm getting soon don't work, then it has to be my disc!!! I couldn't believe what I was hearing! God is finally answering my prayers. I know everything is on his time, but three years? I was starting to get really frustrated with God BUT I have come to realize all the positive things that have happened through this terrible ordeal. I can finally see a light at the end of the tunnel :)
  • Sprocket-I'm rather surprised that you have a torn disc that has been confirmed by an MRI yet nothing has been done for it...my Spine Dr told me that if any tears show up in my next discogram on the 17th that I'll be sent in immediately for surgery! (we dont expect any tears but of course he has to rule it out)

I hope you get some relief soon & please keep us updated! Keeping you in thoughts & prayers.

Take good care...

• Thanks for the encouragement :) It's so nice to know that another doctor feels the same way! I've been told for three years that torn discs don't cause pain and that everything's in my head! I've been mentally tormented this whole time! I just finally got to a doc that "might" take care of it. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. You will in mine too :)
This discussion has been closed.